Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

fabulous ......
Old 10-03-2017, 12:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Marshall,

Outstanding work on the Worthington. Some of the finest off screen images I have ever viewed of a restored 50's era roundie. Ed would be very happy with the result.

Thanks for posting,
-Steve D.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Thank you guys!

I don’t think Steve will mind me telling this story.

Steve and Ed were good friends for many years. They lived close to each other and Steve visited Ed’s place many times and saw the Worthington in Ed’s dining room. When Ed passed away in January, 2015, Steve personally supervised the safe removal and transport of the many televisions, extremely rare items, memorabilia, and reams of tech journals and publications including my CTC-7 Worthington in Ed’s collection which were on display and stored at his home. Steve made sure the remote was in its drawer and he taped it shut to prevent loss. Because of Steve’s efforts, the many rare items made it safely to the ETF at Hilliard, Ohio.

Thank you Steve.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
Thank you guys!

Steve and Ed were good friends for many years. They lived close to each other and Steve visited Ed’s place many times and saw the Worthington in Ed’s dining room. When Ed passed away in January, 2015, Steve personally supervised the safe removal and transport of the many televisions, extremely rare items, memorabilia, and reams of tech journals and publications including my CTC-7 Worthington in Ed’s collection which were on display and stored at his home. Steve made sure the remote was in its drawer and he taped it shut to prevent loss. Because of Steve’s efforts, the many rare items made it safely to the ETF at Hilliard, Ohio.

Thank you Steve.
Marshall,

I appreciate the comments. I was not alone in the effort to oversee the packing, shipping and safeguarding of Ed's collection to the ETF and to his official residence in Omaha, Neb. I was also was joined by fellow VK members Steve Kissinger & John Folsom and several others. It was a daunting but necessary task as Ed had amassed a huge collection of both receivers and other TV related equipment as well as ephemera.

Best,
-Steve Dichter
Old 10-03-2017, 03:18 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
Thank you guys!

Thank you Steve.
Nice set, also great to see you know how to display these old guys in a dark room and pictures settings not driven to the max. Every set I've had from that series were all excellent performers. One of my sets is up at Malamuts auto museum in CA.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
Marshall,

I appreciate the comments. I was not alone in the effort to oversee the packing, shipping and safeguarding of Ed's collection to the ETF and to his official residence in Omaha, Neb. I was also was joined by fellow VK members Steve Kissinger & John Folsom and several others. It was a daunting but necessary task as Ed had amassed a huge collection of both receivers and other TV related equipment as well as ephemera.

Best,
-Steve Dichter
The entire effort that helped to bring this set to the condition that it exists in today is highly commendable... kudos to one and all for your efforts.

jr
Old 10-03-2017, 09:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks again guys and jr, well said. A special shout out to Mike Doyle a member here, who did 99% of the work and helped through the entire process.

The goal has always been to restore this set, and produce a video and play the restored version of “Evening With Fred Astaire” which Ed and colleagues restored on Ed’s former set as a tribute to him. Both the set and the Special were from 1958.

Thanks to a generous VK member we have the entire Special complete with commercials on DVD.

Last edited by etype2; 10-03-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:29 AM
BigDavesTV

WOW! Great work on that set! There's that beautiful RCA Color! So nice to see it up and running, someday, hopefully, my CTC-7 Sanford, will make a picture, at least close to this one, absolutely stunning!
Old 10-08-2017, 07:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Congratulations to the completet successful restoration. In my opinion this is the best looking TV set ever and a great piece of engineering of course- absolutely outstanding
Old 10-08-2017, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Dave and Josef.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

In my last post, we mentioned that the left and right outer edges would not converge and the vertical height needed to be adjusted because the people’s heads were a bit squashed.

We swapped out the convergence assembly from the Pensbury CTC-7 into the Worthington and that went well. We now have nice convergence all the way to the edges. It turned out that a rectifier failed on the original. It was replaced and inserted into the Pensbury and all is well.

We then adjusted the vertical height and things look better. I have attached a series of new screenshots made after the final adjustments. They are from the 1948 movie, “The Red Shoes”. You may notice the images are oversized. I don’t like displaying letterbox images on a roundie, so we had to find a DVD player that has a zoom function. The cheap Sony I found only gives me a choice of 2X or 4X. It’s not progressive.

This link will take you to an image carousel and you can see full resolution images of any image. Tap in lower right corner.

https://visions4netjournal.com/2017/...-carousel-3674

This is our second restoration. The first was the RCA 21CT55 with a tired CRT.

I’m producing three videos to display on the Worthington. The first is a 15 minute sequence from the Wizard of Oz, the second is the entire Red Shoes ballet sequence and the third video will be the entire color special, “An Evening With Fred Astaire” complete with commercials.

Last edited by etype2; 10-13-2017 at 03:41 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

oh just beautiful.... how amazing color must have looked in an era of B/W sets
Old 10-13-2017, 07:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

it doesn't get better than that ,great looking tv set........
Old 10-13-2017, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Marshall,

Short of a well set up RCA studio color monitor, I have never seen better quality color tv images on a 50's era consumer color receiver. Very impressed with your efforts and skill to bring this set back to its full capabilities.

-Steve D.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:37 AM
Resident Lunatic

The set looks stunning Marshall, simply stunning. The screenshot from the Red Shoes with Shearer and Helpmann in full makeup takes the cake for me. The quality of the fleshtones is unreal, and I'm even more impressed that the paler makeup of Halpmann is so easily distinguished: I've seen more than a few sets that render those fleshtones as more or less identical in that scene.
Audiokarma