Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-25-2017, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I've seen a bad distributor pickup coil cause that. Often times it was a bear to get the thing re-cranked, not to mention pulling over without the power assist which is probably harder than actual manual steering.
I had an older Dakota with this issue. It would run fine for months, then stall. After it cut out, the longer you let it set, the longer it would run once you started it. If it sat for 5 minutes it would run a mile...but let it sit an hour & it would run another 3 months. Only figured out the cause when it finally quit altogether one snowy day.

Last month I looked at a customer's Grand Marquis; the odometer read around 385k. It was well broken-in!
Old 12-26-2017, 09:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Only emissions testing required in Wisconsin is in Milwaukee and Waukesha (where I am) counties, and it is just a computer plugin at some local shops that signed on to do it.IIRC there is a cutoff for cars older than ~1996 where you don't need emissions tests for those.
You're wrong for a change! Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Sheboygan, Waukesha, Racine and Kenosha counties require it.
The state of Illinois had the nerve to blame us for their air pollution, so it all the counties nearest the lake have to have it done.
I take my vehicles to the auto repair and tire center in Port Washington and they issue a printout and notify the DOT.
All 96 and newer that use the OBC-2 module.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:22 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Quote:
I've seen a bad distributor pickup coil cause that. Often times it was a bear to get the thing re-cranked, not to mention pulling over without the power assist which is probably harder than actual manual steering.
Been there.. The taurus stalled once in traffic and luckily it re-started. The problem was random for awhile there. Finally, it threw a "check engine" light and my neighbor brought home his SNAP ON scanner from work and pulled the code. Then he researched mitchel on line and narrowed it down to the crankcase sensor. I admit i was skeptical when i changed it out, but its been smooth ever since..

SR
Old 12-29-2017, 07:44 PM
David Thomas

I've owned bunches of the 4.6 Ford V8's in Lincoln form and Crown Vic, and I'd bet money its a coil issue. Often, the coil itself is OK but the rubber boot has a weak spot that allows the spark to jump to ground and cause a misfire.

The simple $20 code readers on Amazon or the ones AutoZone or O'Reilleys uses will read the codes those types of misfires set. I paid $20 for mine on Amazon, and it connects to my I-phone via Wi-Fi and reads the codes. The last time I had a bad coil, it told me which cylinder the misfire was happening on.

Like any mechanical item, those cars won't last forever but the Crown Vic / Marquis / Town Car vehicles are far and away some of the most dependable, economical cars on the road today. I drive an '09 Lincoln MKS now with a V6, and even though it's been a great car, there's still something I miss about a good old-fashioned rear wheel drive V8.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davet753 View Post

Like any mechanical item, those cars won't last forever but the Crown Vic / Marquis / Town Car vehicles are far and away some of the most dependable, economical cars on the road today. I drive an '09 Lincoln MKS now with a V6, and even though it's been a great car, there's still something I miss about a good old-fashioned rear wheel drive V8.
Ditto.
You cant get that secure feeling from any newer FWD car. Only FWD car
I liked was my 72 Olds Toronado. You could floor it without holding the
wheel & it went straight as an Errol Flynn arrow, smokin up the tires.
No torque steer here ! Also would go through any snow with baldies on.
Oh the memories.............

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Audiokarma
Old 12-30-2017, 05:57 PM

Speaking of towncars, anyone with $200 want this one? Needs a transmission, but the 4.6 v8 runs great..

SR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driveside.jpg (54.4 KB, 92 views)
Old 12-30-2017, 08:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bad coilpack.....been working on those cars since new.Been thinking about
buying an ex-cop crown vic,can get them cheap around here.The NYPD just sold
a bunch...
My buddy is a taxi driver,his main car was a Crown Vic with 449K on it,a Chevy Suburban took it out ,not mileage.. A cheap code reader would be a worthwhile investment
Pat
Old 12-30-2017, 11:19 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post
Speaking of towncars, anyone with $200 want this one? Needs a transmission, but the 4.6 v8 runs great..

SR

omg I love the little derp face on the license plate!
Old 01-01-2018, 06:29 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post

SR
Best to sell that to someone out of state anyway, chances are it won't pass a tailpipe sniff in Cali.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

+1 on the cheap OBDII code reader, worth every penny.

my car (01 miata) would miss and bog when I was on the freeway, scary stuff. I replaced the engine ground strap and both ignition coils (hybrid coil on plug/wasted spark setup with short wires to jump to the other spark plugs) solved that problem. It still is kinda hard to start so I'm gonna see if she will throw a cam sensor code.......

Sometimes code readers don't work though. Last summer my grandma's Buick (3100 v6) just wouldn't start one day. I plugged in the reader and got no fault codes! I determined it wasn't getting spark, tested the DIS igniter module (under the 3 dual tower ignition coils), replaced the crank sensor under the damn harmonic balancer, and still no fire. turns out it was the OTHER crank sensor that plugged into the lower side of the engine block (facing the firewall/subframe) I replaced that and it fired right up.
Audiokarma
Old 01-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Best to sell that to someone out of state anyway, chances are it won't pass a tailpipe sniff in Cali.
That Town Car is worth much more on soggy side of the US, never seeing much rain - not loaded with rust, salt, leaves and dirt. That would be worth a tranny rebuild IMHO.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
That Town Car is worth much more on soggy side of the US, never seeing much rain - not loaded with rust, salt, leaves and dirt. That would be worth a tranny rebuild IMHO.
True, I was just taking a dig at California's ridiculous emissions laws. I'm sure Cali and Texas are loaded with well-preserved classics. Excessive rust and severe accident damage are the only deal-killers in my opinion, just about everything else can be fixed.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:58 PM

I agree, the smog laws are a joke here, that info coming from my neighbor the smog tech..

He jokingly rubs his fingers together making the money gesture as he says "Just doing my part to keep California's air clean.

No takers so far on CL even at $250 the only body damage to it is isolated to the passenger fender. the front seats need to be re-done. but it does run and move till you get to OD then its like dropping it into neutral till the car slows down and the trans grabs again. Sadly, no yards are paying squat around here lately, and ill be sad to see it go, but gotta make room..

SR
Old 01-12-2018, 06:05 PM
M is for Memory

If I still needed a winter car and it was not so far away I'd be interested...As it stands if I get a third car anytime soon my folks will be VERY mad at me.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-12-2018, 08:59 PM
The Resident Brony

Metal prices are down, I don't know what the market is like there, but nobody would pay $250 for that car here if it's not running.
Audiokarma