Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

CT-100 cabinet clone w/ B&W tube on eBay... Weird!

This is a model that I've never seen... It looks to be a 100% clone of the CT-100 cabinet! It has a 17" B&W tube in it, same knobs and configuration, even looks like the KRK-12 tuner. I am wondering if they had an overrun of CT-100 cabinets and they stuck this chassis in them for disposal? If anybody has a chance (myself included,) an eMail should be sent to get dimensions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-RCA-17-T-361...QQcmdZViewItem

Charles
Old 06-11-2007, 11:55 AM
console lover

ISTR that both this model and one which was a B&W brother to the CTC-2B (with a 21" inch rectangluar tube) have turned up at the ETF swap meets in years past. Neither attracted more than a passing glance; in fact I'm not sure if anybody other than myself even mentioned the resemblance to anybody else at the time.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Maybe they just used a stock cabinet to house the ct-100 for cost reasons. It would be neat to have this one and a ct-100 side by side.

Bill R
Old 06-11-2007, 10:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

i have that identical set it was my neighbors years ago. i never paid any attention as it looking like a ct100 either. steve
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 PM
On Land

Charles:

If memory serves, there was one of these sets in the TV shop here in Port Arthur. It was in extremely poor shape, and i believe the chassis was missing, which is why I never bothered with it.

Several months back, Polaraman was here visiting and we went digging thru the shop and he saw it. It had a metal tube in it. The cabinet fell completely apart, but he decided to keep the front of it.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Audiokarma
Old 06-12-2007, 12:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting comparison. But I'll bet the dimensions of this 17" set cabinet are smaller then the CT-100. The vertical wooden bars on the speaker grille are two on top and bottom and one in the center. The CT-100 has one bar top and bottom and two center. The channel selector knob looks to be a bit different. Perhaps the CT-100 cabinet designers took a styling cue from this set. I think the high end 17" consoles were on the way out by 1954 production.

-Steve D.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Common RCA

At one time I saw quite a few of these sets. They were common at one time and I think I have two or three in my warehouse. Other than some resemblance and similiar knobs of the CT-100, it has nothing to do with it. CT-100 (I have three) has a raised gold trim around the front which this example does not. It's very obvious the same designer(s) did this and the color set. It's not as large as the color set and not as deep. If you have never seen a "real live" CT-100 it is a square fat cabinet (width and depth-not height) and the B&W set is sort of rectangular in the same dimensions. He gives dimensions of this set so add about 5" to them all to equal the color set. CT-100 is 40 inches tall.