Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-05-2003, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

vermin check your barn finds

2 weeks ago i bought a antique radio at a barn sale.
not thinking i put it in a bag and set it in the van behind the drivers seat.it was rather cool that morning and this radio was in a barn undisturbed for a few years.next thing i know i feel a buzz/tickle in my shirt sleeve.
got stung several times before i got stopped on i-70.that radio had a huge wasp nest inside and i had an estimated 300 angry wasps in the van.even with all the doors open most stayed inside.had to call a friend to bring raid to clear them out.she would not come near the van because she is allergic to beesting.after they were all dead i took the nest out and gave it to her to clean and clear spray it to preserve it.she counted over 450 cells in it.filled the entire top of a philco 16b cathedral.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:49 AM
millerdog

I just rearranged my living room to accomodate my speakers and had to move my dead decorative Blaupunkt. Damn! looks like some critters were living in there for a while. Thankfully they had moved out!
If not I would have to bust out the ole 9mm.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Also watch out for Black Widow spiders. I found one (alive!) inside a 1950's Zenith TV I bought this summer. Sprayed it with Wasp/Hornet killer and that took care of it.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

bought another old tv set this morning.i took the back off and hit it with raid and watched 4 big wolf spiders limp out and die.
lot of predators to have inside a sony kv-5200!
i guess everyone is cleaning basements,garages and shed around here and having garage sales.i got a roll of clear trash bags and a can of raid in the van now!
Old 08-07-2003, 07:51 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Geeeeez, the story about the waspers made me shiver !!! Thousand wonders you didn't wreck & have a real disaster. Bet they were them mean striped li'l sumbiches. Hate 'em w/a purple passion. Did you get the radio fixed OK ? -Sandy G.
Audiokarma
Old 08-07-2003, 11:05 PM
auscultator inveterasco

I have been chasing spiders outta my gear for days. Mostly the stuff in the closets. It goes something like this.....Pick up gear, tap on it, scream like a girl, and then stomp the critter to oblivion.
All there is to life is beer and music.... Well, family too, but they are where the beer and music is. Work? That's just to get me to the weekend.... where the beer, music and family are. Like I said, those are the important things.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:00 AM
millerdog

After I scream like a girl, I tell Miller "Get the Mushi!" He goes after all the critters. Dudes, when I lay in bed and Miller is looking above my head, I freaking turn around! Once I ignored him and a freaking cane spider landed on my head.
Trust yer dog!
Old 08-09-2003, 02:29 AM
auscultator inveterasco

I woulda croaked right there. I once had a Georgia Cockroach drop out of a hole in the ceiling and land on my back. It about knocked the wind outta me...they grow 'em big in Georgia.yuck
All there is to life is beer and music.... Well, family too, but they are where the beer and music is. Work? That's just to get me to the weekend.... where the beer, music and family are. Like I said, those are the important things.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:00 AM
AK Member

Vern.

Did you get my email about the Grado? By the way, you PM mailbox here is full.

Dave
Old 08-09-2003, 01:51 PM
auscultator inveterasco

I haven't gotten Jack for E-mails since I switched to DSL. Even though I am using the same address. I think it is better now though. I will clear y box, though it shouldn't be full..I don't have any friends, hence no one pm's me
Audiokarma
Old 01-06-2004, 08:35 PM
Peanut Head

Just had to add to this one. A few years ago a musician brought me a Fender Rhodes Piano to rebuild. It was the large model with the amplified base that held four 12" speakers. He told me it had been stored in his cabin for a few years and I didn't give it a second thought until I began disassembling it. Through the damper pedal out ran several baby mice! I haven't moved that fast in years!!!