Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Site News

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I believe we are being overrun by some kind of evil bots of some sort !

Every time I check in here , I see more and more of these h12jvk64vv accounts and yet none of em ever post anything . Why ?

Sorry for the crappy cell phone shot , I'm a tech challenged old guy ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VK.jpg (40.8 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by init4fun; 03-05-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:26 PM
The lead ear.

PrintScreen, then open MSPaint. Press CTRL + V, then Save as *.jpg or *.jepg.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Analogue is Awesome

I have a program that all i do is press PRINT SCREEN and it saves the file already in the folder i specify (I have it set to save as PNG files as they seem to look the best)

HOVERSNAP: http://anonym.to/http://files01.tech...erSnap_v08.zip

Last edited by Dude111; 03-16-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank You for the help guys ! I appreciate the info and will try to get some decent screenshots with your method .

Now , To anyone in charge who reads this ;

I have been watching over the past several days since I first posted to this thread , and since March 5th when I posted , 375 new accounts have been created . NOT A ONE of them have posted anything !!!!! Every one of these new accounts have the same general properties , namely a weird string of numbers and letters that don't actually spell anything like a name or such . Now , I know what a Ham callsign looks like and know we have several users who use their Ham callsign as their screen name , but these aren't Ham callsigns . Something like "Wa2ise" IS a regular member who uses his Ham callsign . Got it . But what of the 375 new accounts ALL with names like the most recent " ui7p09q8t" ??? Is that , and the 374 others all with similar names , not worth looking into ?

I realize that most sites see ANY new accounts as a sign of growth and will never revise their membership lists when spammers and bots are banned . I really hope that ISN"T the case here , and that someone looks into this recent invasion of the no post letter/number accounts BEFORE something ugly happens to the site .
Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Thank You for the help guys ! I appreciate the info and will try to get some decent screenshots with your method .

Now , To anyone in charge who reads this ;

I have been watching over the past several days since I first posted to this thread , and since March 5th when I posted , 375 new accounts have been created . NOT A ONE of them have posted anything !!!!! Every one of these new accounts have the same general properties , namely a weird string of numbers and letters that don't actually spell anything like a name or such . Now , I know what a Ham callsign looks like and know we have several users who use their Ham callsign as their screen name , but these aren't Ham callsigns . Something like "Wa2ise" IS a regular member who uses his Ham callsign . Got it . But what of the 375 new accounts ALL with names like the most recent " ui7p09q8t" ??? Is that , and the 374 others all with similar names , not worth looking into ?
"Not worth looking into"? You do realize that you have just now glommed onto the subject of this thread. This is exactly why new registrations are being moderated, again, as of last October. We have been at this for a while, and have figured out a fair bit of it. Every new registration, let me repeat, EVERY NEW REGISTRATION, gets examined by one or another pair of eyes. In spite of this, occasionally, rarely, one gets by, and a post slips in. This is where the people who care about VK come in. The authentic member who spots a spammer reports the post, and the mod staff take care of it. That how all y'all help us keep this site valuable to you.

Quote:
I realize that most sites see ANY new accounts as a sign of growth and will never revise their membership lists when spammers and bots are banned .
The Members List, in the toolbar, lists the count of members, and it changes by only a few per day, at most. There are three numbers under discussion: The count of genuine members, as reported by the Members List; The count of genuine members and banned members, as reported in the Forum Statistics section; the actual number of registrations that have been submitted, or User ID Number, as indicated by hovering your cursor over the name of the newest member, in the Forum Statistics section.

Here are the numbers, as of this post:

Members List: 35,910

Forum Stats: 40,658

ID number of newest member: 77,131

For a long time, the banned users were deleted, but the history was lost. As we got smarter, we began retaining these names and IPs, as an extra level of security. This allowed us to match up brand new spammer IDs with proven spammer IP addresses, or proven spammer email accounts. Our filter got much finer, so fewer and fewer spammers manage to get through. The only thing new about this spammer "invasion" is that it is attacking VK. I've been dealing with these people over at AK for a while, as AK's traffic levels make it a much more attractive target. I guess VK is getting more traffic, because these guys don't waste their time on unproductive targets.

Quote:
I really hope that ISN"T the case here , and that someone looks into this recent invasion of the no post letter/number accounts BEFORE something ugly happens to the site .
As for your last sentence, above, I hope I'm misreading this, but I find it a bit unsettling. I'm not really sure where you are going with this, or what ugly something would happen to the site, but if you want to pm your concerns to me, I'll be happy to address them in more detail.

Let us not look back, in anger, nor forward, in fear, but around, in awareness.
Audiokarma
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank You for the answer . My fear of "something ugly" is based in the fact that I know very little about the real workings of the hacking world , and when I see something suspicious I always fear the worst . I was specifically worried about why all these new weird accounts were signing up but not posting anything , were they "lying in wait" for some certain time to unleash some stupid friggin virus so as to screw up our computers ? , that's the kinds of fears I had . With your response , I know someone IS looking into the weird number/letter accounts and now I know I can post without the worry of some lousy virus buggin my computer . I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and have a great day .
Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Virus? No, spammers are all about the money. They get paid to post advertising on websites, you know, like the Air Jordan shoes, and the pro audio gear, purses, generic drugs. All counterfeits or knock-offs, usually from China.

The sad thing is, they do this, and spam email inboxes, because some morons actually click on them, and supply traffic to these spammers. It is estimated that spam email has a 3% penetration rate in their markets. That means that 3 people out of 100 are brain-dead idiots who click on ads for stuff they don't need, can't afford, and won't work. Just for fun, they might also get their identity stolen.

Yep, it's all about the money. We try to stay on top of things, but sometimes some slip through. That's where you come in. That "Report Post" button in your friend, and how you help us keep VK free from lowlife spammers.

Oh, and the reason they have no posts on all these IDs? Your ever-vigilant admins, of whom I am but one, are on this, several times each day, banning them as they arrive.

Thanks for the support, and be sure that you can hang out around here without worry.

Let us not look back, in anger, nor forward, in fear, but around, in awareness.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:09 PM
Administrator

I wonder if they are attracted to us because we use the word China a lot, usually in the context of "Crap from" but nevertheless...
Old 03-22-2013, 08:35 AM
Mark

Maybe we should be like on AK about Ebay, we can call it that "C" place
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 03-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvvinvinyl
Thanks for the support, and be sure that you can hang out around here without worry.
Hey buddy i didnt realise the last part of your handle is VINYL!!

Excellent
Audiokarma
Old 05-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Seems that we got a new round of spammers this morning. We're getting them as fast as we can.

Please stay vigilant, and hit the "report post" triangle in the upper right corner of any spam posts you see pop up, and we'll get em ASAP
Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Seems that we got a new round of spammers this morning. We're getting them as fast as we can.

Please stay vigilant, and hit the "report post" triangle in the upper right corner of any spam posts you see pop up, and we'll get em ASAP
Would be easier if we didn't have to wait 240 seconds between reporting them.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Nothing I can really do about that, unfortunately....it's the site's software.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

There are at least some legitimate registrations that are accidentally shot down, one of them was my first. I followed the instructions exactly and didn't use a weird-looking handle. My guess is that a lot of spammers were registering at the time and I got caught in the crossfire. No big deal, I'm here now. I just emailed before my second try for good measure.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Subscription

I just became a subscriber, how long before it shows by my avatar. Thanks!

Last edited by tr7heaven; 02-05-2015 at 06:28 AM.
Audiokarma