Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Question How do you find sets in your area?

I would love to find a color roundie but I don't ever see anthing but bpc in the trash on my travels.I must say that this area(lower eastern shore of Maryland) is the worst area there is for finding old tvs. Another thing is I am required to work on Saturdays so I can't go to estate sales,garage or yard sales and the flea market on that day.I admit I don't get out much to look on Sundays either.I don't want to fill my house with sets as some of you do.I have enough jukeboxes,record players and stereo equipment for that. I've seen more jukeboxes within driving distance on ebay and craigslist than old tvs.
I admit when I got into jukes I kinda quit messing with old sets and gave them away(late 60s and early 70s tube and hybrid and working solid state tvs)The nonworking solid states and about 70 nonworking vcrs went to the landfill.

I kept this 1 57 Hotpoint b/w tv and I'm having fun working on it. I figured it's time to look for one of the sets I drooled over in the storage room at my high school vo tech electronics class. I almost got one a little over 20 years ago but someone came out and said to leave it alone and get off their property.Last roundie I seen in person until I went to Bryan Gadow's house one time to test some older tubes for a 30s Wurlitzer jukebox.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:08 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Good luck is all I can say.

I live in a hotbed of vintage TV's (Chicago), and I had to fight tooth and nail to get my hands on one. After I had completely given up, one basically fell into my lap from a Goodwill store, and then it was only because another collector couldn't afford it. My best advice is either save up your money to buy one from another collector, or just bide your time and one will eventually come to you. Round sets are getting very scarce, and people are not letting them go for cheap....
Old 09-23-2010, 07:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are usually a few roundies at the auction at our Early Television Convention:

www.earlytelevision.org/2011_convention.html
Old 09-23-2010, 08:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think it has to do with luck, I started looking and found one within 3 hrs made a call and owned it in minutes and picked it up the next day as I met moody in here I picked up another one from him the same day. Then ran into a Ct-100 for sale in person 3 days later. picked up 7-8 roundies since.I just looked and asked around paid some bucks too.
I didnt even think they existed when I first started looking and then after seeing this place I was stunned at the great appreciation they were getting.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

color rondie

I can help you. I live in massachusettes and have 2 early zenith sets , a rca ctc10 or 11 will double check model and 2 ctc5 to sell. Send me a email.
Audiokarma
Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
Good luck is all I can say.

I live in a hotbed of vintage TV's (Chicago), and I had to fight tooth and nail to get my hands on one. After I had completely given up, one basically fell into my lap from a Goodwill store, and then it was only because another collector couldn't afford it. My best advice is either save up your money to buy one from another collector, or just bide your time and one will eventually come to you. Round sets are getting very scarce, and people are not letting them go for cheap....
Wow Goodwill! The Goodwills around here won't even take solid state tvs with turn knob tuners on them. "Too old can't sell em" I was told when I tried to donate them. Had to use freecycle to get rid of those sets.Now they don't even sell 45 rpm records.Either someone doing the taking in is rejecting them or someone working there is scarfing em' up or they're going directly to ebay.Probably both of the latter. Haven't seen one in Goodwill for a year. But that's another subject.For that matter no vintage electronics show up in my local Goodwill so I rarely have a reason to go in there anymore.Even Salvation Army just has BPC electronics anymore.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:11 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

I would've thought the same, but the one here frequently has old tube stuff in it and it never stays for very long. Right after I picked up the CTC-9, I saw an old Maggie mono console.It was there for a whole 3 days before someone snagged it. Perhaps they make an exception at this store, because they know the stuff will move?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdude1 View Post
I can help you. I live in massachusettes and have 2 early zenith sets , a rca ctc10 or 11 will double check model and 2 ctc5 to sell. Send me a email.
Tried to send you a pm but your storage limit has been exceeded.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

color roudie

Folder empty try again.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I need more vintage!!

Man, you guys who live near Chicago are lucky. That whole area over there is like a vintage electronics museum.
Audiokarma
Old 09-24-2010, 11:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've had some good luck with craigslist. My two color roundies I have now (the Zenith in the chinese cabinet and the remote control ctc-10 console) were both craigslist finds from when I lived in Los Angeles. And just a few months ago I picked up a nice 630ts on cl up here in MI.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance88 View Post
Man, you guys who live near Chicago are lucky. That whole area over there is like a vintage electronics museum.
I have to agree. If you go on Chicago's Craiglist there's around 10 pre-1990 sets. Plus, there's even a few big sellers on Ebay that live in the Chicago suburbs. There's even quite a few VK members on here from the Chicagoland area who are overrun with sets and would be glad to give you one if you need it.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

JC, here is where my roundies came from:
CTC-5, got at Bargain Bill's flea market back in the mid-90s when he had that antique mall in back.
CTC-11, also the mid-90s, got it in Southern MD at the indoor flea market they have at the Hughesville Tobacco Auction.
CTC-12, got it off ebay, won it for $5, maybe 4 years ago. It was in Philadelphia.
CTC-15, from the town dump in the early 90s; picked up an Admiral roundie at the same time, long gone now.
I found a small CTC-15 combo in the mid-90s on the curb in Easton, MD but parted it out.
The Zenith I have came from an ad in the Sussex Guide that read "old TVs for sale", that was about 12 years ago.
I had another Zenith, which sampson has now, picked it up while on vacation in Huntington, WV about 7 years ago at a used furniture store.
I have an Admiral that turned up at the auction house up in Crumpton, MD, a guy I know saw it and called me up, asked what I was willing to pay-he bid and won it for me.

I think there are still some around here to be had, they just haven't come out of the woodwork yet. One thing I found curious, a couple years ago a guy came on here and mentioned having several early roundies that he intended to sell, and he gave an address of E.Shore of MD. I tried to contact him but no luck. No idea who he was or where.

If you stumble upon one and it's now exactly the type/size you want, let me know. Might be up for a trade. I'd like to find a Philco roundie myself. Or, you never know, my wife has a dream of owning a jukebox...

Last edited by bgadow; 09-24-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: add line
Old 09-24-2010, 10:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
JC, here is where my roundies came from:
CTC-5, got at Bargain Bill's flea market back in the mid-90s when he had that antique mall in back.
CTC-11, also the mid-90s, got it in Southern MD at the indoor flea market they have at the Hughesville Tobacco Auction.
CTC-12, got it off ebay, won it for $5, maybe 4 years ago. It was in Philadelphia.
CTC-15, from the town dump in the early 90s; picked up an Admiral roundie at the same time, long gone now.
I found a small CTC-15 combo in the mid-90s on the curb in Easton, MD but parted it out.
The Zenith I have came from an ad in the Sussex Guide that read "old TVs for sale", that was about 12 years ago.
I had another Zenith, which sampson has now, picked it up while on vacation in Huntington, WV about 7 years ago at a used furniture store.
I have an Admiral that turned up at the auction house up in Crumpton, MD, a guy I know saw it and called me up, asked what I was willing to pay-he bid and won it for me.

I think there are still some around here to be had, they just haven't come out of the woodwork yet. One thing I found curious, a couple years ago a guy came on here and mentioned having several early roundies that he intended to sell, and he gave an address of E.Shore of MD. I tried to contact him but no luck. No idea who he was or where.

If you stumble upon one and it's now exactly the type/size you want, let me know. Might be up for a trade. I'd like to find a Philco roundie myself. Or, you never know, my wife has a dream of owning a jukebox...
I was thinking along that line. I have a Rowe-AMI JAL that I may never have time to do anything with. The only main cosmetic issue is peeling chrome on the dome frame.(A common issue with aluminum plated with chrome stored in a damp place.It can be rechromed ie expensive,I was just gonna sand it down and paint it) Everything else is in nice shape.It is of course unrestored though I think I can get it up and running if you don't want to tackle the mechanism if I have the right motivation.(a roundie)I have the manual. It is the last of the AMI jukeboxes with any kind of mechanism visibility. Would trade for a nice roundie with a known good picture tube.RCA preferred as the cataracts can be removed with DRH on youtube's method.Thought I used to want a Zenith but I hate that the ugly cataract can't be removed as easily.

Pictures of one can be found on here:
http://www.pinballrebel.com/archive/ami/1963/1963.htm
Old 09-24-2010, 11:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

In the 6-12 months following Katrina, 75% of the old sets still in greater New Orleans were on trash piles with the rest of someone's worldly possessions.

I've only come across about a dozen old sets since 2007, when I started looking, and got four of them. I found my roundie on eBay and drove to Mobile to get it. Everything else came from out-of-town. I have to say that the pickings seem slim in the deep South. My unscientific observation is that more stuff turns up in Florida than any other Gulf state.