Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

I Was Disappointed

Last month my wife and I went to The Henry Ford Museum. They have one exhibit that shows technological development through the decades. One in particular caught my attention. It was three television sets side by side:

1. Modern flat screen
2. RCA roundie color, late 50s model
3. RCA B&W, late 40s or early 50s model (round CRT)

When I first came upon the exhibit, all three TVs were displaying the same B&W programming. I standing in front of the RCA B&W when the program suddenly changed to color. That doesn't sound right. I went over to the color roundie to get a close look at the triad color phosphors and looked down at the bottom edge of the CRT. Just inside the safety glass, I saw a Philips logo. Yes, both the color and B&W sets were actually flat screens in the old cabinets.

I realize that it would be a daunting task to keep older television sets running for nine hours a day, every day, but I had hoped for better.

I guess if you want real television, you have to come to Ohio!

Last edited by Tom9589; 07-26-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did the installation look really good at least?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Not only that, they completely skipped about 4 decades. I'm not entirely surprised.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:17 PM
sampson159

i saw those sets too.i ws just as disappointed myself.the installs were ok but they should have beem working original sets.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Flat screens, really? At least put a more modern CRT TV in there that fits the mask!

That's it. Now I'm not going to the Henry Ford museum at all because of this scam!
Audiokarma
Old 07-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

They probably also have the done-to-death '32 Ford body bolted over Chevy everything else.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

I last visited The Henry Ford Museum in 1959 and remember that they had a small B&W RCA vidicon camera attached to a 21" B&W television. Allied Radio stocked the camera and control unit at the time. It was the real item in those days. I was really amazed to see something like that in the flesh.

The installations were pretty good. You had to get really close and at an angle to even see the Philips logo. If they had just sanded down the Philips name and painted it flat black, it would not have been visible. On the other hand, the lack of triad phosphor dots was a dead giveaway.

I didn't catch the museum playing any tricks with the automobiles. They were even honest enough to display the car Mrs. Henry Ford drove and it wasn't a Ford. Clara Ford drove a Detroit Electric car, probably because you didn't have to hand crank it.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:53 PM
David Thomas

My last visit to the museum and Greenfield Village was in 1996, and there wasn't a television display. I remember the Model T's running through the village were all original cars. I remember being impressed at the effort it must take to keep a fleet of Model T's running around and hauling passengers all day.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:54 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

My CTC-7 lasted 1.5 years at the Museum of Broadcast Communication in Chicago, being run for 8 hours a day 6 days a week. Last I heard the CRT was getting weak and a cap was going bad in the power supply, I really should go get it back sometime and make some repairs.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

I sympathize with the Ford Museum. It is not practical to keep an old set running day after day, and it really isn't ethical, since the picture tube will eventually burn out and there is no source for rebuilt tubes now. I think they have done the only thing they could do. Perhaps more attention to the program material to make sure the sets look as much as possible like they did originally.

We have some of our sets on 10 minute timers that visitors can turn on. It is a solution for us because we don't have the volume of visitors that the Ford Museum has.
Audiokarma
Old 07-27-2014, 10:42 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Yah, it would be hard to justify the attention to repairs of a TV in a museum mostly
from a Car Guy.... Besides, just having a tv in a large wooden box standing on the
floor kinda makes you think about the evolution on the technology. Hell, it would be
a nifty display if the had a tv guts with a picture tube, along side a tv guts from a
flat panel to see the evolution as well..... Its really just for illustration purposes.
They could do a neat display with the old brick cell phones that only made calls,
vs today and what is really a hand held computer that also makes calls....

Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think Squirrel Boy has a great idea. Show what the innards of an old tube color set along side a modern flat screen.

Also, if they had paid a little more attention to the flat screen retrofits, it would have really looked authentic. Oh yes, and make sure the B&W set only displays B&W.

Steve, I couldn't agree with you more concerning the CRTs. Even if you could get rebuilt CRTs, you would be replacing them on a regular basis if you run them 9 hours a day.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

when my son's class went to washington dc there was a vietnam or something display with a couple old sets , other tv sets too new for the era to be in the display , the old sets looked like they too were altered.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:59 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramden66 View Post
when my son's class went to washington dc there was a vietnam or something display with a couple old sets , other tv sets too new for the era to be in the display , the old sets looked like they too were altered.
I think you are talking about the American history museum? I believe when I was there last they were showing period cabinets with flat panel (or at least more modern color CRT chassis) fitted in. Most of the time, the Smithsonian is fastidious about replacing materials and appearance to original, and does not attempt to restore operation. Either of these practices goes against most TV restorer/collector's aesthetics, who want to see the original guts working.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:41 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

A few years ago, I supplied some of my old TV sets for an exhibit at San Francisco Airport. The airport has its own museum department, with "real" curators and so on. I had wondered if they were going to want to display any early sets turned on, but they didn't. If they had, though, my very specific plan would have been to:

1) Get a suitable flat-panel TV set (or monitor with an external tuner/signal source), that could be temporarily installed in the early TV set's cabinet.

2) Insist that a sign be part of the set's display, reading "This set has a modern display installed for exhibit purposes only. The original chassis and components have been preserved, and will be reinstalled after this exhibit closes. No modifications have been made to the original cabinet or components."

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma