Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

Hey John good luck on the tubes. I sure you will find a way to do it.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

A noble effort indeed - and appreciated by many.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:10 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Doubtful that I will ever own one, but it was nice to know somebody was trying. I enjoyed reading about the efforts to rebuild them. Sad to hear it's not going further. Thank you for trying.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I like....big sparks!!

The word "bummer" is miles away from what you guys are probably feeling...what an effort! But...15Gs had been rebuilt in the past ($135 in an old Allied catalog I have)...so...if it has been done before it can be done again. A big thank you for a riveting saga...with possibly the last chapter yet to be written.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:19 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Very disappointed on your behalf, and also for the many other people who volunteered time, money, and duds for this attempt. This only points out how lucky anyone is, who owns (or at least has been afforded the opportunity to see) a working 15" set. It is, I guess, only a matter of time until they're all leaky. Just thinking back to when I first started getting hold of CT-100s and other 15" sets in the early 80s, I recall only one compromised tube. The others all had good vacuum. Even a real crappy junker CT-100 that I got from a TV dismantler in South Central LA, which had been picked up in an alley, had a usable tube. By the mid 90s, I started seeing more & more of them failed; even in sets that had been working only a few years earlier. Times are changed now, forever.

Charles
Old 03-13-2010, 06:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Technology is a wonderful thing but we lose so much as we move on, sadly. I know we can't take back what we've lost along the way, but now everything is so "throw-away" as opposed to servicability/reliablility/quality. Sure, there was the fasination factor (as in some ways today), but the "appreciation" factor of what was then is now something almost taken for granted in todays society.

John, Bob, I hope there is still something to be gained from your efforts and everybody involved as there has been "much appreciation" not only for what you've attempted but also sharing your experiences with all of us too!

Now if only we can clone Scotty....
Old 03-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Administrator

This news combined with the news of Scotty's imminent retirement is quite depressing.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm truly sorry that this experiment didnt go better. I was hoping that you would have success.

Bruce
Old 03-14-2010, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's a terrible shame. Your efforts have been much admired by me and my friends. I suppose we should be grateful that these component failures are the exception and not the rule for repairing vintage tvs.

This does remind me of a project I was involved with several years ago, where we were adding magnetic soundtracks to unexposed 8mm film (mag sound stock had been discontinued for some time by Kodak). About all we learned was how many different ways our system could fail, and after untold grief, we only had a few rolls successfully done. But the other night, much like your newly rebuilt and now gassy 15g, I put on those old reels only to find those soundtracks have deteriorated to a muffled mess-in only a few years. Oh well. We can't have everything.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

John,

Yes, that's very sad news. Congratulations for the wonderful effort. Seems that what's really dashing efforts are failures related to vacuum processes (evacuation, sealing, and leaks) trying to revive these old tubes. While the tread is titled "A Final Report". Are there any plans to provide the forum with a more complete report, such as a review of SWOT (successes, weaknesses, opportunities, threats) activities?

Tom
Audiokarma
Old 03-14-2010, 05:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Ryan View Post
a more complete report
John and Bob are scheduled to give a presentation at the ETF convention next month.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/2010_convention.html

Phil
Old 03-15-2010, 12:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Time to move on?

Bob and John, so sorry about the final demise of the heroic 15GP22 rebuild project, bummer! At least now you can hopefully get back to your 21CT55 restorations? My operational 21CT55 needs company so we can compare screen shots.
I once had an engineering prototype 15in color CRT that RCA supplied to a member of the NTSC development team supporting the FCC color TV standard hearings in NY. I believe it was Hazeltine. I got it from an RCA engineer in 1963 who built a chassis for it from parts of the special component kit RCA was selling for the production 15GP22. I traded a cherry 3in Pilot T37 with case and magnifier for the 15G... proto, CRT mounting board and partially complete chassis sometime in 1963. I recall the CRT had a shadow mask/dot screen assembly that was put together with a bunch of tiny nuts a & bolts but I don’t recall if it had a metal or glass cone. It was definitely a handmade, possibly a one of a kind engineering item. I still have the documentation that came with the RCA kit. I attempted to fire up the CRT and chassis to see if anything worked. With no B++ or HV applied, all filaments lit-up. When I activated the B++ there was a flash in the gun assembly and the HV fuse blew. Disaster, the red filament was dead, After the required OH SHT ! I knew the project was over so I put everything back on the shelf. A couple of years later I trashed everything. Even dead, the prototype 15GP22 would be a museum display today, but in mid ’60s how was I to know? At least I still have the 21CT55 I got about the same time…..Tom
Old 03-15-2010, 01:52 PM
TubeType Sets

Rebuilding The 15GP22

Hello Bob & John,

Thank you so much for your efforts to rebuild the 15GP22. I am looking forward to your presentation at this year's ETF convention.
Hopefully, the frit seal protocol, being used by RACS in France, will continue to survive the rigors of the rebuild process.

Regards,

Caretaker: RCA CT-100
Terry's Tube-Type Sets
Old 03-15-2010, 02:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

"Hopefully, the frit seal protocol, being used by RACS in France, will continue to survive the rigors of the rebuild process."

I gotta ask... have they *actually* taken apart the funnel/front panel assembly, removed the troublesome metal flanges, perhaps lapped and acid fortified the edges, somehow mounted the shadow mask/phosphor plate and frited the works back together?

jr
Old 03-15-2010, 02:43 PM
TubeType Sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
"Hopefully, the frit seal protocol, being used by RACS in France, will continue to survive the rigors of the rebuild process."

I gotta ask... have they *actually* taken apart the funnel/front panel assembly, removed the troublesome metal flanges, perhaps lapped and acid fortified the edges, somehow mounted the shadow mask/phosphor plate and frited the works back together?

jr
Dear Jr,

It sounds like you have a viable process worked out. Currently, I'm not privy to the RACS frit seal protocol.
However, I'm sure Jerome will share his 15GP22 rebuild adventures at RACS during the ETF convention.

Kind regards,

Caretaker: RCA CT-100
Terry's Tube-Type Sets
Audiokarma