Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hello from Perth Australia

Long time reader of Videokarma. I have a 1959 AWA TV along with a couple of 80’s small portable colour sets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B1DA415E-DD96-495F-9EB8-2E3902218178.jpg (65.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-09-2019, 11:41 PM
The Resident Brony

Welcome!
Old 03-10-2019, 01:43 PM
I like....big sparks!!

Welcome to VK!

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Old 03-18-2019, 09:39 AM
Motorola Minion

Welcome to VK!

Late 1950s were great years for BW TV styles IMHO, my favourite era. AU did not have color until 1967? But anything from the 1980's seems keep working, I have a few survivors rescued from being trashed.

Thanks for posting the AWA. What does that stand for?

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 03-18-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Welcome !Always have wanted to visit Oz... Some of us think youse guys are what you'd get if you bred Texas w/"Old Blighty"-Great Britain). Not a bad outcome, in my way of thinking. Are you all STILL able to do incredible TV DXing there, or has Oz succumbed to the worldwide death of analog ? I live in the hills of NE Tennessee, one of the sadly-missed small joys of my life was trekking up on top of a local mountain, w/a 4.5" JVC color set, & being able to "bootleg" signals from all over the southeast part of America. Oh well, we still have FM DXing....
Old 03-18-2019, 06:24 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Welcome !Always have wanted to visit Oz... Some of us think youse guys are what you'd get if you bred Texas w/"Old Blighty"-Great Britain). Not a bad outcome, in my way of thinking. Are you all STILL able to do incredible TV DXing there, or has Oz succumbed to the worldwide death of analog ? I live in the hills of NE Tennessee, one of the sadly-missed small joys of my life was trekking up on top of a local mountain, w/a 4.5" JVC color set, & being able to "bootleg" signals from all over the southeast part of America. Oh well, we still have FM DXing....
TV DXing is STILL alive in the states Sandy...Usually, it ain't easily portable. Gotta have a good DTV box/tuner or set, and a good outdoor antenna...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-18-2019, 10:55 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The place I used to go TVDXing had a long history of that noble & worthwhile hobby. My Uncle told me the guy who ran the theater in town, & was also a "Jskeleg" radio repairman bought a 7" Admiral bakelite cased set after the war, rigged up a "Tenny", & ran power up there. During the summer months, the local experimenters & curious types would gather up there, & Mr Miller would monkey w/his l'il Admiral til he'd get a snowy pic of a baseball diamond from WSB or WAGA outta Atlanta. They'd all stand up & holler & cheer... Eventually, they even built a small set of bleachers up there, so the guys could watch in semi-comfort. That story must be true, I've heard it from 2 or 3 sources besides my Uncle... 1949, he would have been 10, that place was about a 10,15 minute bike ride from where he grew up... Bugtussle, here, was the kind of a place that a 10 yr old boy would get shooed outta the house in the morning by his Mama, told to be good, & she wouldn't worry about him too much unless he got home a little late. It wasn't much different when I came along in the late Sixties/early Seventies.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Welcome to VK!

Late 1950s were great years for BW TV styles IMHO, my favourite era. AU did not have color until 1967? But anything from the 1980's seems keep working, I have a few survivors rescued from being trashed.

Thanks for posting the AWA. What does that stand for?
Hi DavGoodlin AWA = Amalgamated Wireless Australasia . We got PAL officially in 1975. Testing in colour
was done from 1967 . Since 2014 Australian TV has been in DVB T1 . Analog switch off happened in stages during 2013.