Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:41 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

This guy's smokin crack!

I really want this, but even the instantly declined $100 offer I shot him is just too much. What is it with people? These stupid TV shows that hyper inflate prices are really starting to irk me, like Pawn Stars? Now everyone thinks they're sitting on a goldmine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-RCA-Televi...item19c15d39a7
Old 01-30-2011, 11:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

i guess he will sit on it forever unless someone who doesn't care and can spend goes for it , what i don't get is people who list things at a certain prive more then 2 times and do not drop the price , they just keep giving money to ebay and making none in return

mike
Old 01-30-2011, 11:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

but it comes with an incandescence bulb and those are about to be as rare as these old sets
Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

just remember if you bought it you would find one in a yardsale next week for $5
Old 01-30-2011, 01:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am not sure where Grand Blanc is in Michigan but man it must be a high dollar town I bet the box is worth a hundred itself especially if it has a shipping label I bet he can get $6.00 for the shipping label alone. I wonder if the original oxygen in the box is worth something?
Audiokarma
Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hes had six offers on it so far,who knows he may find someone with deep pockets.
I hear Tiger Woods has decided to focus his energys on collecting television and radio memorabilia since it's cheaper than taking care of 20 women!

Last edited by GeorgeJetson; 01-30-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
I really want this, but even the instantly declined $100 offer I shot him is just too much. What is it with people? These stupid TV shows that hyper inflate prices are really starting to irk me, like Pawn Stars? Now everyone thinks they're sitting on a goldmine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1950s-RCA-Televi...item19c15d39a7
I agree. They watch these shows, get their hands on a price guide, stumble upon some super inflated price on the internet; and, all of a sudden, they are an "expert". The ones that really irritate me are those CL sellers who think a '60's or '70's solid state particleboard and plastic console stereo is worth hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. One woman got real PO'ed at me when I sent her an email, telling her that her CL Admiral solid state console would be worth, on a good day, $25 instead of the $1200 she was asking.

And, I also become irritated with ebay sellers who constantly relist the same item for months, or years, at the same inflated price. I've even seen some ebay sellers who would actually raise the price when their item didn't sell. There's a 16" rek-o-kut broadcast turntable on ebay right now for something like $1700. Instead of lowering the price, he just keeps relisting it. I guess he thinks some moneybags will come along and pay what he wants.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

whats even funnier is the garage sale seller with a ebay printout showing what the item sold for recently and wants that.the stuff they cant pin a number on they will practicly give away.
bought a dynaco st70 for $10 right next to a 90's yamaha bpc unit they wanted $300 for.and some 20 something guy dressed like a thug drooling over the yamaha!looked at me wierd when i bought the dynaco and took it directly to the truck before shopping further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I agree. They watch these shows, get their hands on a price guide, stumble upon some super inflated price on the internet; and, all of a sudden, they are an "expert". The ones that really irritate me are those CL sellers who think a '60's or '70's solid state particleboard and plastic console stereo is worth hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. One woman got real PO'ed at me when I sent her an email, telling her that her CL Admiral solid state console would be worth, on a good day, $25 instead of the $1200 she was asking.

And, I also become irritated with ebay sellers who constantly relist the same item for months, or years, at the same inflated price. I've even seen some ebay sellers who would actually raise the price when their item didn't sell. There's a 16" rek-o-kut broadcast turntable on ebay right now for something like $1700. Instead of lowering the price, he just keeps relisting it. I guess he thinks some moneybags will come along and pay what he wants.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8adu View Post
whats even funnier is the garage sale seller with a ebay printout showing what the item sold for recently and wants that.the stuff they cant pin a number on they will practicly give away.
bought a dynaco st70 for $10 right next to a 90's yamaha bpc unit they wanted $300 for.and some 20 something guy dressed like a thug drooling over the yamaha!looked at me wierd when i bought the dynaco and took it directly to the truck before shopping further.
That is so true these days - I picked up a TV-7D/U (working, I might add) from a yard sale that also had a bunch of computer stuff. I passed on the computer stuff immediately and went straight for the tube checker. The seller's wife commented that she'd better raise the price on the rest of the stuff if stuff sold so quickly...10 bucks for an old parallel port Zip drive, no thanks, but hey, great deal on my $4 TV-7....

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 01-30-2011, 07:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lighted TV signs have been going for good prices recently. I think he may get close to $350 for it.
Audiokarma
Old 01-30-2011, 07:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McVoy View Post
Lighted TV signs have been going for good prices recently. I think he may get close to $350 for it.
I've passed on a few I wanted because they did get that high.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:47 PM

Maybe an nice double sided outdoor sign like this one: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/2173973476.html

But not some cheap cardboard, wood framed, 60-watt lightbulb lit sign like the one he's selling.

FWIW, here's my question to him:

Hi,

You're way out in left field with the price on this RCA sign, but I still want it. Would you be willing to make a trade+cash? I have a vintage Coca Cola metal cooler to offer. I'm thinking the cooler+$50?

And his response:

Maybe I am out in left field? I don't know that for sure unless you can show me where someone else has one that is in the same condition for a much lower price. Please direct me to their item so I can see for myself. For the time being, I'm sticking to the price. I appreciate your offer but I am going to have to pass on it.

So in other words, it's just like kc8adu said- somewhere along the line, this guy saw some highly collectable sign go for $500 and thought they were all valuable. No harm in trying to sell this one for $350 he figures. Riiiight...
Old 01-30-2011, 08:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

It might get that if it had a clock in it.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:56 PM

For $350? You know, I think we in the collecting biz are partly to blame for stuff like this. After all, why blast the seller if dopes like us will shell out that kind of cash for it? I mean really, it's a cheap RCA sign! I'd offer $100 for this thing tops...
Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

My take: I would not at all be surprised to see it sell at this price. It is a very nice piece. But he would be much better off starting it off cheap, with a reserve if he had to.

Not just radio, TV or RCA collectors would want this sign...lots of folks like old advertising pieces of all sorts. Think of your local Cracker Barrel! Being NOS means a lot. The true value of this piece is whatever one guy will pay, and ebay is great for determining that. Personally I feel it should sell for well over $100.