Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice Roundy CTC 15 on Ebay

Nice looking CTC 15 on Ebay, starts
at one dollar, ends in 10 hours, no bids yet.
I wish it were closer to me!
Old 09-03-2007, 12:18 AM
console lover

I wish there was a link.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

sorry my web box doesn't do links, but the item number
is 320152971890. I found it by searching RCA color.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:53 AM
Administrator

Link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3D50%26fvi%3D1
Old 09-03-2007, 02:53 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

damn shame its been relisted a few times.

At 1.00 opening bid, how can you NOT commit to picking this up? if its got a good CRT its worth snagging hands down.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:11 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Here's what smells bad in Denmark. . . The set is listed by a guy who claims to restore tv's, not yer grandma Tilly. But he also claims "no idea" of condition. You are telling me a guy with this level of electronics knowledge can't be troubled to plug it in? I considered bidding, but if he cant be bothered to turn it on, I can't be bothered with a five hour drive to buy a bad crt and flyback!
Old 09-03-2007, 08:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

He's hiding something. thats why when I list TV auctions I want bidders to know what they have and a picture of the TV working. Major parts could have been taken out of the set to fix another set in better shape. last thing you want is an electronics guy telling you he doesnt know if it works or doesnt know how to "test" it. The fly and or CRT are shot. Id stay away unless you have the parts on hand.

I like the responce to the question that was asked on 8-31. He says that he doesnt have the time to test it and if it doesnt sell, it goes to the shoothing range.

its more lies. He had the time to list the auction, had the time to answer the questions, had the time to take the back off the TV for pictures. So whats so time consuming about plugging it in and turning it on? Do it right, even if he had a variac it would not take much time!

Last edited by drh4683; 09-03-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

How could the tuner "appear to work great" if it has not been tested?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Everyone should be a little less critical, especially since opening bid was $1. I talked to this seller a while ago and he seemed rather pleasant and straight foward . A person can tube swap a tv or power on to test among other minor checks without getting more involved in set. TV could of been anywhere from completely dead to mostly working, we really don't want to discourage collectors on selling their roundies. That set would of been worth it for the CRT alone. His interest have changed and he has sold all or most of his TVs at bargain prices to rapidly liquidate them.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Strange. This same set could sell for hundred of dollars, but yet he can't get a dollar. Of course, if it was close enough it would be worth snagging no matter what...but here all of us sit, most of us would buy it in a heartbeat if it were next door. But too far for any of us to drive? If he would at least put a tester on the crt...
Old 09-04-2007, 04:29 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

It's not so much the idea of the $1 opening bid being too steep for a parts set. Just the idea that there is obviously something fishy here... Wasn't this set already on eBay before? Somebody bailed on that one.

I thought (briefly) about bidding on it, but a 6+ hour round-trip drive just to turn up something with missing parts ain't something I'd be thrilled with, even for $.50.

If it's a parts set, just say so and start the bids at $1.

When I was an eBay newbie, I bought a 19" porthole locally. I thought I'd heard that the last-generation of porthole sets didn't use a separate chassis. The set came from a collector who knew better... Pretty sure he took the other chassis. Funny how that never came up in his ad. Now I have a huge doorstop in the basement of my rental house that I'd feel bad throwing away.

Somewhere, there is an extra power chassis waiting to marry my doorstop.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

I really dont there's anything fishy. As I said, I spoke to him and his interest have changed. He simply has SOLD ALL TVs of his collection of many different types. I've seen collectors get sets and have them parked for months or years in their house, not doing anything to them as deferred projects. Many in this forum have these projects laying around. Another truth is that there's a limited amount of collectors for these, and some have sold their collections losing interest in this hobby. Most common and even rarer sets have had prices somewhat sagging lately, some 15" tvs or other TVs with higher reserve go unsold working or not. This Collector didn't have another chassis tv like from his small collection to use parts from this set either. I talked to him in detail to see what TVs he may have of interest to me.
Would of this set sold for a lot restored??
--probaly not--that working rca roundie lately went cheap
There's plenty of deadbeat bidders, seller could of backed out as shipping costs for these have gone up, among others. Many tubes are available new and second hand as surplus and salvage prices, a couple of tubes may have been taken seems trivial considering most of tv is probaly there and roundies in any decent shape aren't really seen or found anymore. Why blast the seller over a couple of crummy cheap tubes-- if so--??
Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would get it if it was close to me.

Bill R
Old 10-19-2007, 01:40 AM
sampson159

i talked with this guy(brian)he is an engineer by trade.seemed to be a good fellow.he thought that the set would bring much more than a dollar. i was going to drive up and see what he had,but family crisis kept me from doing that. i would take that set right now! he had a working rca(ctc12?) with cataracts and a replacement tube. cabinet was not pretty but the lot for 80.00-maybe worth a trip.doesn t feel like scammer to me.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:44 PM
sampson159

i now own this set. bad crt and many jumper wires in the demod section. cabinet is pretty rough,but it does have high voltage and it does have video. no color as two tubes (6gh8a and 6lq6) wont light. that section has a major burn out on the circuit board. wish the crt was good.
Audiokarma