Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Convergence freak!

Delta gun crts?

Does anyone know why delta gun crt's fot tv's were stopped being made and they went to the newer block mask? VGA CRT monitors used delta gun technology for better clarity and pitch right? So that means our color sets using delta gun technology "even though its older technology and the pitch between the dots is not as fine" mean that they hold better focusing and clarity then the newer color block mask?
Old 11-11-2007, 12:23 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Although I'm not sure of all the reasons, I know that one reason was to get rid of the convergence circuitry. With inline, decent convergence can be achieved with permanent magnet rings and button magnets on the shell of the tube, whereas delta gun tubes require a more elaborate convergence section as with your 16.

Charles
Old 11-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Convergence freak!

That makes since. Keep it cheap and pricy to the public... Less unneeded circuitry, more in the pocket for the company.. Glue and magnets are cheaper than convergence boards anyway.. lol
Old 11-11-2007, 12:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-06-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Convergence freak!

Oh ok.. That makes since too. But technically the delta gun mask itself provides better pitch alltogether.. It's kinda dumb and funny at the same time but I went ahead and tried this theory and I was right! I took the video output of my PC, just a simple RCA out that allows you to run your video on a tv. I ran the video out to a vcr feeding the signal out to a 1980 19" Zenith space command and the text was blocky and hard to read, even when I turned the contrast down all the way on the set. Gaming looked good, but text with white backgrounds look horrible. Now I took the same feed and ran it into my ctc-16. The text was readable! Not great but alot better than the zenith.. And with the contrast all the way down, I could read everything! Thought I would share it, just kinda funny
Old 11-11-2007, 01:03 PM
TeeVee collector

In my experience, delta gun tubes are also heavier the in-line tubes, but that may be a result of progress in glass technology. When it comes to the picture i think the in-line tubes are sharper and brighter, but a delta gun picture looks more natural.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:04 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakaftr8 View Post
That makes since. Keep it cheap and pricy to the public... Less unneeded circuitry, more in the pocket for the company.. Glue and magnets are cheaper than convergence boards anyway.. lol
You are half right - the set was made less and less expensive to the public too. Since the introduction of TV, sets have gotten cheaper and cheaper in real dollars every year. For a long time, the dollar price was about constant for a color table model, while salaries and the prices of most other items went up. Lately, the dollar price dropped too. Now that flat panel HD sets are out, real prices have been temporarily restored to old levels, but are rapidly eroding too. The innovations in lowering the cost of a color TV were driven by the intense competition within the U.S. industry and later with Japan, and of course now other countries. It was a standing joke at TV manufacturers that they "lost a dollar on every low-end set, but made it up in volume".
Old 11-11-2007, 08:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-06-2021 at 10:55 AM.