Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
The only replica maker that I've heard of is Telstar, which sells a new color TV in a Predicta look-alike or Predicta-inspired cabinet. Look for predicta.com if you're curious.

Repro Scott radio chassis are a new one on me, although I wouldn't be surprised, given the ever-increasing value of Scotts. Charles, do you have pointer to an example?

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
It was the late Roy Burnett who started the project back in the late 80s, when he and two other Scott guys wanted to replicate the Scott Quaranta (spelling???) 53-tube, 3-cabinet console. When Roy passed away about 10 years ago, the other two guys bought out the parts and continued to work on making the chasses. I've gotten scolded by a couple of members here whose stuff I blabbed about, so I can't put names... But if you're interested, I can pass your name on to those guys. Both are here in Southern Cal.

Charles
Old 11-08-2007, 02:31 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Rather than replicating complete sets, there is probably more value in replicating vintage CRTs. I wonder if it would be possible/practical to have the Chinese build replacements for the 7JP4, 8BP4, 10BP4 and 21FJp22 for example. Vintage television would be better served by the replicating of major components.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I could have sworn that was already happening, since CRT's degrade, and good working originals are about as easy to find as a needle in a haystack.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Making a replica tube would be much too expensive for the quantity that could be sold. The market for 7JP4s is probably a maximum of 200-300. There are still plenty of good 10BP4s out there. The market for 15GP22s is small - maybe 50. No company is going to spend the money for tooling for than sort of quantity. The Chinese want sales in the 100k range at minimu.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

There's a guy here making replicas of 1970's British Keracolor sets... the replicas ARE NOT perfect, though, because the real Keracolors used knobs, and those replicas are fitted only with modern pushbuttons.

Below you can see a link for the sale of one of those replicas. Price in dollars is something around US$ 550.00 . I really prefer the 50's TV set below; not only it is a REAL VINTAGE SET, but I also find it much more attractive.

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/M...ga-de-1970-_JM
Audiokarma