Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Case in point: I like to watch Star Trek. I'm not a trekkie.

If you like to watch MLP, nothing wrong with that. You didn't indicate your "level of participation" here, so don't take immediate offense to people who don't immediately "get" the full blown "brony" lifestyle, because I admit that I don't either.

Watching Star Trek, for example, is one thing.....devoting your life to the pursuit of Kolinahr is freaking weird. That wouldn't gain currency here either. For devotees of Seinfeld, for example, I will publically state that I think Festivus poles are stupid

Remember the general demographic of the participants here; we're older guys by and large that in our teens listened to Led Zeppelin or 80s pop....we don't understand millennial trends any more than our parents understood ours....so if you're expecting acceptance of a full blown "brony" lifestyle right out of the box, you're in the wrong crowd.

If you like to watch it that's cool It's one thing to love a TV show, it's another to live it.....whether it's Seinfeld, Star Trek, or MLP.

I did a little Googling on it, and it labeled "bronyism" as a "millenial escape". All I had was cheap beer
Old 04-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post

Remember the general demographic of the participants here; we're older guys by and large that in our teens listened to Led Zeppelin or 80s pop... It's one thing to love a TV show, it's another to live it...
Or in my case, '60s Mission Impossible, Man From UNCLE... drove the neighbors nuts and got me and my buddy living out those TV shows in trouble more than once or twice.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hey, I'm all for tolerance. Like what you like. But by dragging your odd interest into view you take the chance of negative reactions. In this case, your avatar and your post put it out into the public to comment on. So don't be surprised when people comment, after all this is a public forum. Nobody cares if you like to watch MLP in your bedroom but that doesn't mean they want to hear about it. And a lot of people find a grown man watching cartoons geared for young females creepy, myself included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan View Post
*scratches head*

Aren't you guys, you know, like... adults? Shouldn't you be a little more mature and respectful of other people's opinions and feelings? I mean... I'll grant you, I felt similarly back in the day, so I understand the way you feel, but I kept my opinions to myself instead of openly insulting people in a public place. And when I started getting into mlp, I took a lot of this kind of crap from the 12-18 year olds in my gaming community, but they were kids, ffs.

Jesus, it's just a tv show I like.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
*scratches head*

Aren't you guys, you know, like... adults? Shouldn't you be a little more mature and respectful of other people's opinions and feelings? I mean... I'll grant you, I felt similarly back in the day, so I understand the way you feel, but I kept my opinions to myself instead of openly insulting people in a public place. And when I started getting into mlp, I took a lot of this kind of crap from the 12-18 year olds in my gaming community, but they were kids, ffs.

I didn't even click that link until now. For what it's worth, I never thought anything of it. To quote a character from my favorite film, "There's nothing wrong with being different". I had to take a lot of flack during my public school years for many things, nowadays it's mostly silent shunning, but whatever. You'd be shocked at what was said about me in the "most likely to" section of a junior high yearbook. Anyone who objects to my ways is not worth my time.

By the way, I think "maturity" is overrated. Adults in general are a lot meaner to each other than kids are even capable of.

Last edited by Jon A.; 04-17-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlabs View Post
a lot of people find a grown man watching cartoons geared for young females creepy, myself included.
+1, especially those of us who have raised girls, and spend time watching the show with them.

My daughter lost interest after she was around 10, but not before lots of money was spent on merchandise!
Audiokarma
Old 04-17-2017, 07:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

So anyway, I bought a time-shifting OTA DVR two days ago, from MicroCenter, for about $50. It gets program guide info, HDMI and composite (and perhaps RF) output, and records on a USB drive. No stated limit to size of drive. We'll find out about skippability in the next day or two, but the others like it I have will let you do anything. It records MPEG2 Transport Stream, so it's the equivalent of the RF signal off-air, just without the RF.

A bank of them would be about $300-$400 if purchased from non-brick-and-mortar vendors. Then you could record every time segment you wish, on every station, and play back as desired. All for free until the feds make the stations sell their spectrum...

Chip
Old 04-17-2017, 11:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
*scratches head*

+1, well said. It's not my cup of tea but to each his own, and all the power to you!!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:20 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Remember the general demographic of the participants here; we're older guys by and large that in our teens listened to Led Zeppelin or 80s pop....we don't understand millennial trends any more than our parents understood ours....so if you're expecting acceptance of a full blown "brony" lifestyle right out of the box, you're in the wrong crowd.
Exactly, for a bunch of older guys, I did not expect understanding or acceptance, I expected some decency and respect. And not to be called 'disgusting' by one of your moderators. >_>

Besides, I like Zeppelin too. (And I'm not a millennial.)
Old 04-18-2017, 01:11 AM
Administrator

You never said to what level your bronyism is. You go from "it's just a TV show I like" to expecting decency and respect over someone being what the internet calls a full blown "brony". In any event, doesn't really matter and I don't really care.

It's not a gender identity, it's not a faith, and it's not even a lifestyle choice. It's a damn hobby. And this is a TV collector's forum. Wrong crowd. Thread closed.