Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Thanks.Yes .Thats what they were Maggie's .I do agree.The remote is a POS poor design.Good grief .Its a Funai.Wonder why they suck on reception here.
The later run of Funai-Magnavox's had an improved remote control, with easier to use channel up-down buttons.
The last ones have a gray remote and case and seem a little hotter.
BTW, they're getting a little rarer in the thrifts and higher priced. The last two, I saw were priced, $12.99 for a new-in-the-box Magnavox and $20.00 for a NITB Insignia.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I can't help but notice that the price of almost anything in the "bric-a-brac" section of thrift stores has gone through the roof. Just today, I saw Sears branded Sawyer's Rototrays (a form of round tray for storing and projection of 100 slides), historically priced in the 50 cent-$2.00 range, priced at $19.80 each.

I just found out I'm rich!
Old 10-16-2016, 06:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
I can't help but notice that the price of almost anything in the "bric-a-brac" section of thrift stores has gone through the roof. Just today, I saw Sears branded Sawyer's Rototrays (a form of round tray for storing and projection of 100 slides), historically priced in the 50 cent-$2.00 range, priced at $19.80 each.

I just found out I'm rich!
greed factor.Once they search on Ebay,Amazon and forums to see what is the going price and they jack it up to the highest.I switch to my fleamarket,tag sale mode and do some bickering with those people.If they dont budge .Just walk away. Sometimes they will call you back.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
greed factor.Once they search on Ebay,Amazon and forums to see what is the going price and they jack it up to the highest.I switch to my fleamarket,tag sale mode and do some bickering with those people.If they dont budge .Just walk away. Sometimes they will call you back.
They all seem to have access to the internet and many times, they look up the selling price on a similar item and price it accordingly.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
That was never meant to be just a STB, it was a DVR all the way. Not at all a revision of the previous CM STBs. It's an entirely different platform, and the tuner works entirely differently.

(I have both, and several more.)
I take it you have in your collection the CM-7000PAL? I'm using two Dish DTVPal DVRs which are basically the same. (Actually I have 4 of them, 2 in use, 2 spares just in case.) A few new capacitors, replaced the HDD once or twice, to keep 'em going.

How does these older units like I have compare to the new ones?
Audiokarma
Old 10-17-2016, 09:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
I take it you have in your collection the CM-7000PAL? I'm using two Dish DTVPal DVRs which are basically the same. (Actually I have 4 of them, 2 in use, 2 spares just in case.) A few new capacitors, replaced the HDD once or twice, to keep 'em going.

How does these older units like I have compare to the new ones?
It could take hours to answer that.

I have four DTVPal DVRs (the CM7000 DVR is just a rebadged DTVPalDVR), a CM7000 converter box, and 2 CM DVR+ units all working around the house.

The DVR+ has several nice features that do make them a nice addition, but there are some things that the DTVPal DVRs did much better. I don't want to spend the time doing full reviews here, but over at the AVS Forum you can see the many frustrations of owning either of the CM DVRs. They were always buggy units, and still are through several updates.

Just to mention why I keep the older DTVPalDVRs still in service is for things like sports where you want to be able to use a frame-by-frame or 1/15 slow motion that you can smoothly go forward and back several times to see exactly when that football came out of the hands of the runner. The new DVR+ only goes as slow as 1/8X, rewind only as slow as 2X, and if you try to go from forward to reverse, the video will jump a second or two. And the DVR+ has no frame-by-frame.

In addition the older unit will FF or reverse at 300X where the new unit will only do 64X.

The old unit has a button you hit once to turn on or off the closed captioning. The new unit you have to hit several buttons to take you into the audio menu to accomplish this.

The old unit unfortunately can only use PSIP data for its guide, whereas the DVR+ when hooked to the internet gives you a 14-day guide.

The DVR+ allows you to hook up external USB drives (I have 3TB drives on mine) while the older unit you had to crack open the case to exchange 1TB (max) drives.

Again, there are a lot of differences to each, its unfortunate that the new DVR didn't incorporate all of the things the older units did well and build upon them. Instead the new DVR+ seems like they just started with a different platform altogether. And CM seems determined to use the DVR+ boxes for more streaming services, rather than being just a DVR. I wish they'd focus more on making the best DVR they can rather than turning a DVR into a smart box.

So having both you can see a lot of pros and cons to using either. Neither is perfect, far from it. But both do an excellent job as far as quality of programming capture and playback.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
It could take hours to answer that.

I have four DTVPal DVRs... but over at the AVS Forum you can see the many frustrations of owning either of the CM DVRs. They were always buggy units, and still are through several updates.
Thanks for the info. Yep been on that DTVPal forum since 2009 when I bought the first one new from Dish. Wading through the nearly 20,000 posts and trying to compare old vs new is next to impossible. Since you have both you already told me several things like the slow and search speeds which would be a big let down if I bought one and didn't know about those details. Guess I'll just keep on truckin' with the DTVPals until obsolete, or they die, whichever comes first.