Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:20 PM
go big or go home

WRAL in NC Lights Up ATSC 3.0 4K Signal

http://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/00...-signal/278927

RALEIGH, N.C.— WRAL-TV, Capitol Broadcasting’s NBC affiliate in Raleigh-Durham, said it launched its new ATSC 3.0 TV station with the first live simulcast of a commercially licensed television station.

The official launch began with WRAL News at Noon newscast and a simultaneous second channel broadcasting “Take Me Out to the Bulls’ Game,” a documentary previously shot, edited and post-produced in 4K/UHD HDR. This launch of what is now being referred to regularly as “Next Generation TV” employs ATSC 3.0, the newly developed broadcasting transmission standard from the Advanced Television Systems Committee.

While receivers remain commercially unavailable and the standard itself is not yet complete, WRAL and other broadcasters consider ATSC 3.0 a necessary advancement for over-the-air television. It is designed to deliver 4K Ultra HD resolution, high dynamic range, and wide color gamut, as well as personalized, object audio and advanced emergency warning features.

The Federal Communications Commission agreed in April to put out a petition for authorizing ATSC 3.0 out for comment. The petition, submitted by the National Association of Broadcasters,America’s Public Television Stations, the Consumer Technology Association (formerly the Consumer Electronics Association), and the Advanced Warning and Response Network Alliance, requested a voluntary adoption scheme. In comments from those entities and several broadcast groups, a request was made for the FCC to make a related rulemaking authorizing this voluntary adoption framework by Oct. 1, 2016. (“Broadcasters Seek ATSC 3.0 Rulemaking by October 1.”

ATSC 3.0 will become the first over-the-air broadcast system based on internet protocol technology.

WRAL-TV plans to use it to provide a deep offering of on-demand content, access to multiple sources of video to enhance linear viewing, and a number of other 24/7 streams of TV and radio programming, representing the marriage of broadcasting and broadband.

WRAL is transmitting its ATSC 3.0 signal on Channel 39 under an experimental FCC license.

“Capitol Broadcasting believes strongly in the future of over-the-air broadcasting, and that ATSC 3.0 represents the technological breakthrough that will enable local stations to remain the primary source of news, information and entertainment on any device. In fact, Next Generation TV will provide the capacity for an extraordinary range of new interactive tools, and become a major part of the digital future,” said Capitol Broadcasting President and CEO Jim Goodmon.

James F. Goodmon, Jr., vice president and general manager of CBC New Media said, “Embracing new technology is part of who we are, and CBC is launching this new technology to see firsthand how it works and to explore its many applications. We intend to share what we learn with the broadcast industry while utilizing ATSC 3.0’s capabilities to become better providers of news and information for our viewers.”

WRAL-TV has assembled a team of leading technology partners to help design, test, and implement this new standard for TV. According to Capitol Broadcasting Director of Engineering and Operations Peter Sockett, “In order for CBC to take this extraordinary leap into the future, it required a team of forward-thinking companies.”

Key participants in this project:
• Electronics Research Inc. (ERI) – Antenna and Filter assembly
• GatesAir – Transmitter and exciter
• Harmonic – UHD real-time broadcast encoder
• Keepixo – Dash Packager
• LG Electronics – ATSC 3.0 receiving equipment
• Meintel, Sgrignoli & Wallace — Consulting engineers
• Monroe Electronics – Emergency Alert System technology
· Triveni Digital – Signaling, transport generator, ATSC 3.0 analyzer, and system integration support

“We will be broadcasting throughout Raleigh and Durham, N.C. and performing test measurements to learn about the characteristics of this new delivery platform. We will share this information with fellow broadcasters and equipment manufacturers to test their new designs in the real world,” Sockett said.

WRAL noted that only a handful of prototype ATSC 3.0 receivers are now available, including the one used by the station.

In its announcement, WRAL said, “It is hoped that for North Carolina early adopters Next Generation TV will be available as soon as late 2017.”

~ WRAL submitted this as a press release. Deborah McAdams contributed to the story.

For more news and analysis on the standard, check out our ATSC 3.0 silo.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:39 PM
"Book em Dano!"

So if they adopt this format I assume all of our converter boxes and flat panel TV's will be useless for OTA broadcasts. i doubt they will provide new converter boxes. This will force new sales of TV's and no one will want used FP TV's that are "only" 1080i/p. This will make vintage TV viewing difficult except for DVD/VCR's.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:57 AM
<----Zenith C845

Not necessarily. I recently read in an edition of TV Technology that, when the new ATSC 3.0 standard is adopted, broadcasters will still be able to transmit their station signals in the current standard (2.0), alongside the signals broadcast under the new standard. They likely will do just that, at least for the foreseeable future.

The ATSC 3.0 standard, if adopted, will affect OTA TV reception only, not cable or satellite; this means your TV will continue to operate as normal, regardless of the ATSC standard in use at any given time if you get your TV via either platform. It will be up to the cable/satellite providers to deal with the new standard; they will provide cable boxes or satellite receivers which will decode the ATSC 3.0 standard to one existing FP TVs can process. This means, of course, 1080i/p flat panel TVs currently in use will likely be usable for many years to come after the new standard is adopted.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 07-01-2016 at 01:05 AM.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

The way that I'm starting to see DTV flat screens at the curb already along with their analog predecessors. By the time the new system comes out.Most people will have the new 4 k sets.To bad the current rubbish programming sucks these days and its not worth it to me.If it was 30 years ago .I'll be first in line to buy one.I hope they clean up the reception problems with this new system.