Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

The GoPro Hero 3 Black 4k camera records in 12fps 4k but needs their Cineform editor to convert it to something useful. I'm thinking that there may be a two-level use at home surrounding broadcast that is a while out. GoPro's and their brothers for home use below the broadcast advancements and downloading above the broadcasters. Channel bandwith is their roadblock anywhere you look. My broadcaster friends are rushing headlong to 4k equipment for recording knowing they will have to dumb down to 1080 for air but they know that. A nice place to keep up with 4k news is; http://sportsvideo.org/main/

And my Ben Hur blu-ray is like I never saw the movie before.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
A nice place to keep up with 4k news is; http://sportsvideo.org/main/

Didn't know some were already using 4K cameras, good to hear.
And what's this? a 200ft 4K display! http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/201...ew-4k-display/
Old 05-02-2014, 02:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
What are the actual movie theaters using, aren't they something like 4k already?
I believe they use three chip DLP systems.
The better Cineplex's use the Sony 4K LCOS projectors
(I've compared these to theaters w/ Christie 2K DLP installations)
They should really use 8K but no-one wants to build one as even Sony often loses money.
Would be hard to display 8K due to lens errors and focus errors over flat screen?
Also new screens not as large as old 70mm era (curved screens, better lenses)
as 70mm would be like 8K resolution at least.

Last edited by NewVista; 05-02-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

And we have trouble enough delivering on air 780p images reliably with 5.1 surround sound. Cable even degrades and compresses that as does satellite. 4K is not real life, some TV commercials and content is still SD. This is the East Tennessee real world here, not some laboratory. Virtually all of our theaters here are 4K at best. Our Knoxville area TV stations have not done Local News and Programming in 780p HDTV until about 2 years ago, they are still paying for all that new equipment. Sony theater projectors are also not very well loved by projectionists and cinema owners, this gear is expensive. Support is everything. Also, add to that the sub channels on DTV and the need for paying for the DTV conversion not too long ago. Broadcast gear is far from inexpensive.

Last edited by KentTeffeteller; 05-04-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

We all know what happened to Titanic because it was moving too fast. I see the same thing happening to technology.
Audiokarma
Old 05-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Indeed. 4K is well and good, but how is it going to be delivered practically without being compressed to fit in more channels. More practical to fix what we have now and try to improve it.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

A 4k LED panel can be as small as 25' wide -- who needs projectors
http://www.panasonic.com/business/pe...1162_FINAL.pdf
Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

So it looks like Panasonic can mass produce these square-foot modules with "surface-mount diodes" (on a printed circuit) with an impressive 1.9mm pixel pitch. These are optimized for indoor light intensity and linearized for decent gamma/grayscale. Remember when critics said LCDs can not give a hi fi picture and CRTs were the only option for purists?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

Giving foreign industry over $1k of my dough just doesn't appeal to me. We cannot allow corporations, domestic or foreign, to summon us to a "Sorry, your TV is obsolete, now gimme your money, please" event every few years...
Old 05-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar72 View Post
Giving foreign industry over $1k of my dough just doesn't appeal to me. We cannot allow corporations, domestic or foreign, to summon us to a "Sorry, your TV is obsolete, now gimme your money, please" event every few years...
My feelings exactly, especially the foreign corporations considering that they stole almost all of our manufacturing.

I bought a Channel Lock adjustable wrench recently, one of very few North-American made tools I could find new. It was expensive, but I consider it a good investment and was pleased to be able to do something to support U.S. manufacturing. Oh, my new ESR meter is U.S.-made too, got one while I could.

Last edited by Jon A.; 05-08-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have to say that I was not happy with the 2009 switchover.
Plus the cable TV switch over in 2012.

I dont want to stir up this topic with my upset feelings and negative opinions about these switch overs here.

I received all locals with analog .Now I dont receive jack .

if 4K TV gives me the great reception here with more powerful transmission with the same coverage as I received with analog and no drop out plus better TV programming to go with it.I 'll buy one.

Better reception and better programming will be the key issue with me.

The last best thing that was done with TV was MTS stereo in the 1980's.
Atlease we got to keep our regular sets then.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Any predictions as to when the 8K screens will hit the consumer market? IMHO, those *should* come pretty close to being "good enough" for all but the largest home theater applications.

jr
NHK in Japan is working hard to roll it out by 2016 to the home viewers. They successfully tested ota transmission with new compression algorithms. http://www.nhk.or.jp/8k/index_e.html

As to the topic, my two cents: I'm reading negativity and pessimism. "man was not meant to fly, if so, God would have given him wings" Television will always be there for us, just in new forms and formats. Television brought us the assassination of JFK, the moon landing, the Watergate trials, the coronation of kings and queens, Challenger and the long list goes on. We can't sit on our hands and be satisfied with the past, we must continue to innovate if we want to compete in the new global world. Our kids are woefully behind in math compared to the rest of the world.

The fact that 4K sets have 4 times the pixels, that alone will give perceived increased sharpness on 1080P broadcasts. 4K will improve, get cheaper, just like the technologies before it.

As for me, I do agree, I don't watch the dramas anymore. Too much violence. I enjoy television for the news, sports, certain movies and live events.

Last edited by etype2; 06-05-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Spelling error, add link
Old 06-16-2016, 10:52 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Unless it is disc based media in UHD, that's the only real 4K UHD media you'll see. Otherwise it is downrezzed satellite or cable or theatres. Real world here in the USA. Enjoy your downrezzed 1080 or 780 on either or on air, that is what is available to you. Short of multiple Millions of $$$ most stations won't spend anytime soon, you get just this. Especially if you don't live in the 10 biggest markets. For me, it does not matter, my main TV is only 32" and 780P. Remember until 2 years ago, my area stations were SD originated. 480i. That new HD gear is not yet paid for, and it had to be bought all new, no used to fall back on like Color did years ago.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

How are they going to get this 4K signal out to the TVs.The OTA DTV signal sucks now and the cable TV pix quality is horrible here..
Old 06-20-2016, 08:11 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Indeed. We can't even get 1080i and 5.1 channel surround reliably over the air.
Audiokarma