Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:26 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
Unless it is disc based media in UHD, that's the only real 4K UHD media you'll see. Otherwise it is downrezzed satellite or cable or theatres. Real world here in the USA. Enjoy your downrezzed 1080 or 780 on either or on air, that is what is available to you. Short of multiple Millions of $$$ most stations won't spend anytime soon, you get just this. Especially if you don't live in the 10 biggest markets. For me, it does not matter, my main TV is only 32" and 780P. Remember until 2 years ago, my area stations were SD originated. 480i. That new HD gear is not yet paid for, and it had to be bought all new, no used to fall back on like Color did years ago.
It doesn't matter to me, either. As I have said before, I don't care for HD, so TV looks the same to me now as it did before HDTV. I have gone so far as to set my Roku media player to 4:3 aspect ratio, which displays perfectly well on my 19-inch 720p flat screen. I watch mostly older TV shows made in the 60s-70s anyway, so leaving the Roku set at 4:3 works very well. The only thing that's slightly annoying is having to reset the aspect ratio to 16:9 when I watch HD programming, ordinarily just the evening news on NBC (I don't watch the major networks as a rule unless something special is on). Otherwise, I watch 4:3 DVDs of my favorite old shows. I only have one widescreen DVD and none in 16:9 format. I think the only way to get the full effect of HDTV is with at least a 32-inch screen; 4K, I'm not sure. I've noticed it is quite difficult if not impossible to find HDTVs under 32 inches; I don't remember the last time I saw a 19" flat screen advertised anywhere. Could it be, in this age of ever-increasing screen resolution (4K, 8K . . .), that 19" and smaller FPs are becoming (or are already) obsolete?

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 06-25-2016 at 05:01 PM.