Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-30-2004, 09:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Older shows/commercials fit round sets better

I was watching some old commercials from 1983 yesterday on a round color set and noticed that all of the text fit on the screen, and key elements were never off the screen. When I watch modern TV on the round sets, a lot of the time text is cut off. It seems as though older programs, even up through the 1980's, were composed in such a manner that important text or images were never lost of the edges of the round sets.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have often wondered about this, though I never really took note of older shows. (I will now-I have some tapes from the early 80s that I was watching on a roundie, just didn't pay any mind) It would seem that if there were still some studio monitors in use with round screens this might be the reason, or maybe they just kept things cropped that way as a rule?
Old 01-30-2004, 10:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

I remember that when I worked Camera in TV there were marks inside the viewfinder that you were to keep the important stuff inside of...it seemed like these corresponded to the screen area of the round sets. It also seemed like the older CG's would produce graphics that were mainly in the center area of the screen...when you would type in text it would not go to those outer edges that would be not seen on round sets.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Like Chad,
I remember when in the late 60's and into the 70's, as rectangular color sets replaced roundies, we were still very careful when tapeing commercials to allow for the "cutoff" area of the round screen. The actual product and any on screen graphics or printed information were always photgraphed with the round screen in mind.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:30 PM
heathkit tv

Talking about marks on monitors......in todays motion picture film cameras there's a TV camera that "feeds" off the optics as they file a scene.....this is to allow for video playback on the spot so that the director can review what's in the can without having to wait until later to view the rushes.

On that monitor are marks showing the borders of both the typical movie theater screen and conventional aspect ratio TV screens. This is to help set up the shot for eventual viewing on both mediums as video tape/DVD sales and TV broadcast are a big chunk of money.

Anthony
Audiokarma
Old 01-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Watching todays broadcasts on an old set the stations onscreen logo is often completely off screen. Fine with me
Old 01-31-2004, 10:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

The TV studios have specially marked monitors (old days markings on the CRT glass, nowadays electronically generated) to show typical overscan of consumer TV sets (rectangle), and another smaller rectangle marking showing the area every TV owner is sure to be able to see. In the early days, they probably also showed the typical truncated rectangle one sees with a roundie set. Obviously important that the product and company logo be seen in that commercial. Today with fast forward VCRs they will want that logo to be there for a long period of time so the VCR user will still see that logo (so the advertiser still gets an impression on the VCR user.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:52 PM
AK Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=41590

This is a link to vintage commercials.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:46 AM
jasonlava

I was watching Beverly Hillbillies yesterday and you all are right. All the text and action happened in the center so you could watch on a roundie, even thought I was watching it on a "Flattie" (Toshiba 36" flat tube)
Old 03-23-2004, 12:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Jason, How do you like the Toshiba? I have the 24" flat screen. It has a much better picture quality then the piece of junk Sony Wega that it replaced. My only complaint is that the remote is not very sensitive. You have to point that sucker right at the sensor. Is it the same on yours??? Just curious...
Audiokarma
Old 03-23-2004, 02:00 PM
jasonlava

Quote:
Originally posted by jstout66
Hey Jason, How do you like the Toshiba? I have the 24" flat screen. It has a much better picture quality then the piece of junk Sony Wega that it replaced. My only complaint is that the remote is not very sensitive. You have to point that sucker right at the sensor. Is it the same on yours??? Just curious...
Actually the TV is my friend's but I'm always there watching a movie on it cause it's SO BIG!

The Toshiba tube is much better than the Sony. I calibrated it using a home theater setup DVD and it looks near perfect.

I have a 27" Sanyo TV which is just a generic quality TV set. Nothing special. When it breaks, I'll get a 32in Toshiba set. The 36 is a bit too expensive.