Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hazel S1 E6 on antenna tv

From 11/61 "What'll We Watch Tonight? Hazels new color television attracts family and friends. Tomorrow 9:30AM ET on antenna TV. I never saw this one.
Perry

Last edited by iong; 06-30-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:40 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

I saw that one. The old black and white set she replaces because it will not work right is a ten inch emerson roundie. It is the one with the controls at all four corners of the front panel. It is a model I would not mind having.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did you notice if it was an RCA or Zenith prop TV? RCA used "Hazel" in print ads for their color sets, but IIRC, there were Zenith products actually used as set props. Maybe after they went color they switched to RCA props?
Zenith products were used almost exclusively in movie and TV for props of all kinds. Guess the Commander had "such a deal".
Kevin
Old 07-01-2016, 09:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I saw the episode, or most of it, this morning. I don't think they ever showed Hazel's new color TV, but they did show the new color TV in the Baxters' living room and it looked like an RCA Victor roundie to me. A CTC11, I think. It was only shown briefly and it wasn't turned on.

The show was from November, 1961. Still fairly early for color TV in most homes. I think the B&W TV they had before the color one may have been a Zenith.

Also interesting was the 1962 Ford Country Squire they left in to go buy the TV. A 1962 Falcon was also in the driveway. Ford was their sponsor during the first four seasons of the show.

I also found this on imdb about the show...

Quote:
Although the first season was in black and white, this one episode was filmed in color: Hazel gets a color TV. RCA was NBC's parent company and arranged for all shows to be in color on this date to promote sales of color televisions. Later in 1964, Shirley Booth and Don DeFore appeared in a print ad for RCA Color TV in many magazines.
Funny how they didn't show the color TVs much in the show. I remember seeing that print ad. Here is a link to the ad...

http://www.atticpaper.com/proddetail...ca-tv-ad-hazel
Old 07-07-2016, 12:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

The Colour Christmas episode shows a close up of the Baxter's Colour set and I think in the ham radio interference from next door episode.
Audiokarma
Old 07-08-2016, 08:23 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

That was about the same time Granny got a new tv from the Drysdales.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8c5bccf550ed0838af198066a753dfa1 (1).jpg (60.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-08-2016, 12:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

This one off color "Hazel" episode in the 1961 1st season was an NBC/RCA promotion that broadcast, in color & promoted most of NBC's B&W shows on their "color weeks." Of course this Hazel episode titled "What'll We Watch Tonight?" Had to do with replacing Hazel's fuzzy old 10" Emerson B&W set seen in the close up shot. She winds up w/ a color set never seen in the episode. Her boss, Mr. Baxter, eventually also buys a new color console. Only seen in this wide shot. Looks to be an RCA CTC- 11

-Steve D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1561.jpg (109.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1560.jpg (87.3 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by Steve D.; 07-08-2016 at 12:35 PM.