Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA WR-99A Marker Generator User Pdf Needed

I don't know what compelled me to purchase this thing other than the fact that I have a dot bar gen. from about the same time frame, and I love the build quality and look of what RCA was doing with test equipment at that time (except certain VoltOhmyst VTVMs). Not as much as I love Hickok stuff from the 50s, but this RCA early 60s stuff is pretty darned tough.

It is called a Crystal Calibrated Marker Generator. It looks as if it may be capable of doing all sorts of things, but honestly probably things that I wish I knew more about, but pretty much don't need to know about; if that makes sense. I do understand that it fundamentally is just an FM signal generator with many functions that are probably great if you are into doing television alignments and such. LOL, more times than not I read about trying to avoid issues in old TVs that will throw off factory alignment. I've "restored" a number of old TVs and I haven't had to do an alignment yet and I'm not getting any younger.

Lucky for me, these days I am generally back to old AM and shortwave radios as I simply can't be a TV set warehouse as cool as that would be.
Also, I love old test equipment, so I would like to get this user manual, clean the old thing up, and see if it functions or to what degree it functions so that if nothing else I can turn it over to someone needing such a unit that would feel better knowing that it has been checked out to at least some degree. That's a little better than grabbing something from Praybay that came from an estate auction and may well be a plugged and fried unit that the seller says is untested; or the other biggie, "for parts or restoration." The later statement could be applied to almost anything!

On the flip side, if it seems I can use it for something, it will just stay in my collection. But my little and to some laughable Heathkit SG-8 does everything that thus far I have needed for radio repair. Anyway, I found .pdfs on a schematic and one that seems to be on calibrating the unit. I didn't see a plain old user manual. It would be great if someone had that on file and would share it with me.

Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCAWR99ASIGNAL.jpg (70.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-23-2017, 10:29 PM
M is for Memory

Yours is missing the bezel around the slide rule dial....I own one of these too plus the pattern generator, but got them in reverse order. I paid $15 combined on my pair.

There is no FM generator in these IIRC just several CW RF markers with no modulation. For TV alignments you need a FM sweep gen and 1 or more CW marker gens (most TV marker gens had multiple independent oscillators) Early tv alignment gens tended to have separate sweep and marker generator units, but later devices like the B&K 415 started putting both in the same box.

I've got better SS alignment gear, but ended up saving basically half a rig since it was cheap, and I knew the guy that had it was likely to throw it out if I passed.

I wish I could help you, but I've got zero lit on mine.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-25-2017, 05:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Tom. I don't know what gets into me sometimes with electronics purchases. LOL! Especially when I need to be selling; not buying!! I hardly ever need the dot bar generator unless I get bored and start messing with my Zenith "roundie", which isn't much. Even with that being said I wound up with a Sencore CG-153 Deluxe Color Generator that if nothing else is more compact and I as much as I hate to say it; it's solid state. Sometimes it really is nicer to have test equipment that isn't so old that it needs restoration and I admit that solid state stuff is certainly more stable for lack of a better term and often being a couple of decades newer than my old favorites, it usually shows up in pretty much working order.

Actually, that and a B&K 747 Solid State Tube Tester are the only two non-tube driven pieces I own; except my calculator and computers. LOL! Oddly, for tube testing my favorite tester is a late 40s Sylvania 140 Trans-conductance job. I've had it probably 30 years at least. I got it in high school while taking electronics at that level. Never had a problem, and it's always accurate. I trust it over two Hickoks I own, so that says a lot.

So anyway, this old RCA Marker Generator is probably going to end up in the shed or worse. I knew the plastic bezel was missing, but the guy gave me a deal on it. Or did he??? I think I gave him the deal moving it for him. Oh well, ya can't win em all. If I find a manual, perhaps it will prove to be fun to at least check it out some rainy night, just to see what's going on with it.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Workin' Late Again

I'm sorry I didn't notice your request earlier, I was on my normal summer hiatus.

Anyhow I do have PDF files of the operators/service, and calibration procedures for the WR-99A. If you're still interested pm me your email and I'll send you the files. Presumably I obtained these off the web, but I have no idea from where at this point. For what it's worth I also have a very nice one of these for sale in the classifieds.