Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:34 PM
No time for this hobby

WTB Tube Tester

I'd like to buy a decent working tube tester. I'm not picky. I don't want to collect them so if its a nonworking antique I'm not interested. I want to use it. Just a good working one. The newer the better. I am a newbie to this so it does not have to be the best model with all the bells and whistles. Everytime I go to buy one I get beat on that marketplace and I just want to be done with it. If I can help someone here all the better! If no one here has an extra, a little input as far as what they are worth would help me out at that other place too.
Thanx
Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 AM
Restoring Admiral 24A12

You might find these sites useful - I know I did.

http://www.tone-lizard.com/Tube_Testers.html

http://www.alltubetesters.com/articles/tester_guide.htm

IMHO the prices on eBay have gotten ridiculous - especially for the better Hickok models. A Triplet 3413B is my main tester - simple and dependable. It's only an emission tester and doesn't handle compactrons, but will handle anything you're likely to encounter from the 20s-50s. I think I paid about $75 for it a couple years ago.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Something from the Sencore "mighty mite" line or one of the smaller B&K models from the '60's and '70's are decent. And, these have a "grid emission" test, which is very important, especially for TV servicing. Unfortunately, these won't test pre-octal based tubes from the '20's and early '30's. If you want to test the old radio tubes from the '20's, almost any older tube tester will do. The most common are Heathkit, Allied (Knight), Eico, and Precision.

And, the prices really have gotten unreal on greedbay. Even some of the el cheapo emission testers are going for insane prices. Frankly, there's no way I'd pay greedbay prices for an average tube tester as most of them were made in high quantity and they can be bought for a reasonable price, if you are patient and look hard enough.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:27 AM
No time for this hobby

Thank you for the input! The links helped alot. I pretty much came to the same conclusion as radiotvnut. I have bid on several "mighty mite" units before reading this that the owners swear are "calibrated" or work "like new" or some such thing. I was figuring I'd go to about $50 including shipping. Most of them go for a hair more in the $60 to $75 range. I'll just be patient and try some local sources also. All I want is something to tell me a tube is maybe ok, shorted, completely gone to air or completely dead (do not install in subject TV!). So emmission type would be fine.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
a- v- karma member

The Heathkit TT-1 is in its own class. If you can get one that was carefully built
and then little used (not so unusual!), that's fine. If you can get all the manuals,
you can revise the construction and repair as required. Good luck!
Audiokarma
Old 06-05-2010, 01:32 PM
No time for this hobby

Ok, I finally found a tube tester. I really don't know much about it but what the heck. It is a Conar 224. I bid on it for the same reason someone bids on the Heathkit models. There is tons of info about it on line because it came in a kit as well as preassembled. Tube charts, manuals, schematics, everything is online for free. The model itself is probably(still haven't read all that info!) an emmisions type without hardly a scratch on it. It was shown being used (yes I got it off Ebay). Wish me luck, the only way I could of gone wrong in my mind is if I can't test alot of the tubes in a TV and if thats the case I would make sure its working well and trade or resell it. Thanx for the info everyone!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Restoring Admiral 24A12

Nice - it looks like that model covers a wide range of types from the 20s - 70s. Even Nuvistors.