Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Another Motorola VK-106 restoration attempt

Happy Thanksgiving everybody. I am in process of trying to restore a 1948 Motorola VK-106 that i had found at estate sell. I have never done this before so I am on the learning curve soaking in information when I can. Mine is very similar to the one Banderson posted a few weeks ago so I wont include too many pics. When I got the set I did not know anything about the current condition whether or not tubes were all there or CRT any good. Well so far things have turned out pretty well and have not run into any project stopper problems so far I think. I do have a problem I would like to get an opinion on and I will detail this a few post down but first just a few pics of project and what I have done so far -see posts below.

Here is pic of set the day I got it and by the way I paid 50 and not 100 so not exactly a bargin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg as bought small.jpg (120.0 KB, 144 views)
Old 11-24-2016, 03:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

vk-106 chassis ts-9c

Here are some more pics of set. All tubes were there except for HV rectifier tube and one tube was wrong type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back small.jpg (99.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg ts-9c chassis.jpg (99.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 11-24-2016, 03:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Recap job

I have been busy last few weeks with this whole thing just hoping that CRT was going to come to life. My hopes were up because i found some problems that may have been reason for shelving the set that were not CRT related. Two burned up resistors and a blown fuse so I kept thinking CRT may be okay. By the way I did check crt filament and tube filaments and none were open. I restuffed two can caps and relocated two to inside chassis bottom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabinet small.jpg (73.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg recap 22.jpg (137.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg replaced small.jpg (138.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg restuff small.jpg (70.6 KB, 105 views)
Old 11-24-2016, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Current problem with Set. Need advice.

After recap job and replacing few resistors I cranked her up saw a flame up down below in chassis. Turned out to be a tapped power resistor that had one bad section that I had bypassed with new dale screw down power resistor but was still shorting out. Ended up replacing whole thing. I do have variac and was gentle with set at first. All tubes were glowing and static from speaker (no signal attached just looking for raster) but nothing at all on tube. adjusted ion trap all over the place and nothing at all. Also appeared to have high voltage using screwdriver arc test. Pulled all tubes out and let crt filament glow for a couple hours. Still nothing. I looked at voltages at crt neck and looked at schematic for orgins of voltages and started doing a little trouble shooting and pulled 12au7 video output tube. Had put everything back to normal and powered back up and still nothing. Decided to adjust ion trap again and finally got a raster. I got a replacement tube from a source and reinstalled. I am not a 100% percent about tube being problem but am going to test one day. I was really getting discouraged but now very hopeful.

Current problem I am trying to solve is shown in pic below. I got a old tv repair book and for the white vertical strip problem I am seeing as shown the book suggest either damping tube or bad deflection yoke. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raster defect 2 small.jpg (63.1 KB, 146 views)
Old 11-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Workin' Late Again

Very nice job on replacing those caps and resistors! I'd agree the damper tube is generally responsible for those type defects on the left side of the picture. First thing I'd try is replacing the damper tube, possibly try a few. Adjusting the horizontal drive control could also have some effect.
Audiokarma
Old 11-24-2016, 08:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great job. I think you got a great bargain with that set. Those Motorola's a fairly uncommon and a classic '40's console. The CRT alone would cost at least $50.
Enjoy it!
Old 11-25-2016, 09:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

damper deficit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Very nice job on replacing those caps and resistors! I'd agree the damper tube is generally responsible for those type defects on the left side of the picture. First thing I'd try is replacing the damper tube, possibly try a few. Adjusting the horizontal drive control could also have some effect.
Thanks for the advice. Well I am fresh out of damper tubes -calls for a 5v4g so I guess I will place an order might get two just in case. I will try the drive control before I do that and see what happens.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

crt

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Great job. I think you got a great bargain with that set. Those Motorola's a fairly uncommon and a classic '40's console. The CRT alone would cost at least $50.
Enjoy it!
Thanks. I guess I lucked out on the 10bp4 not being a dud. Have not tested it but it seems bright enough. Just to add the crt appears to be a rebuild to me due to the neck having a cut line around it.

Last edited by pdr-fml; 11-25-2016 at 09:42 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-25-2016, 10:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Looking good and you are certainly on track for a complete restoration. The 5V4 could be a 5V4GA also if that is easier to find and I guess you got a HV rectifier since you have a raster.

Nice job, keep the pictures coming.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:44 AM
Workin' Late Again

You can use a 5V4GA in place of the G. The audio guys covet those G style for their more curvy sound.
Audiokarma
Old 12-04-2016, 05:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

horizontal drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Ok. I got rid of the white vertical lines by adjusting the horizontal drive control. When I went to adjust I found that trimmer screw was completely missing. Stole screw from another from trimmer in tuner for channel that will not be used. Unfortunately I have other problems with set and have decided that I need to test all tubes before I go any further. I know someone at work that has a tester and will try to get this done shortly.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Anybody actually have or have had a Motorola VK106 restored and working?

It has been over a year since my last post about my motorola vk106 and I have been working on it every now and then but still have issues with it but I am determined to get this thing working. I was just wondering if anyone has actually seen one of these up and running properly or are they all just works in progress like mine is? I guess this would include the VT105 and VT107 which have similar chassis.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdr-fml View Post
It has been over a year since my last post about my motorola vk106 and I have been working on it every now and then but still have issues with it but I am determined to get this thing working. I was just wondering if anyone has actually seen one of these up and running properly or are they all just works in progress like mine is? I guess this would include the VT105 and VT107 which have similar chassis.
A long-time repairman friend of mine has that model in storage and I've hinted at acquiring it for many years now. He never seems to care about parting with it. I believe he mentioned that those are good players once restored. Here is the only example of that chassis that I've ever seen working. It's the tabletop VT-105 version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvVt7lppTKQ
I had the chance to get one of those locally years ago. Should've of went for it! Those 10" '48 Motorola's are uncommon.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
. I was just wondering if anyone has actually seen one of these up and running properly or are they all just works in progress like mine is?
I have a 105 that I restored and it has a beautiful sharp picture. I haven't run it in a while though.

I nearly forgot I have a (crappy) video of it on YT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvVt7lppTKQ
Old 03-13-2018, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
still have issues with it but I am determined to get this thing working.
What are those remaining issues? Seems like you must be getting close . . . .

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Audiokarma