Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:25 AM
VK Member

Columbia Model 320

I'm helping a friend clean out a house. We have this Columbia phonograph that definitely needs work. I don't want to trash it though because I think it's way cool and we might be able to make a few dollars. I want to put it in the hands of someone who can make use of it.

Does anybody know who I might contact about this set? I'm in central Connecticut, if that helps.

- JT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0308.jpg (90.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0307.jpg (47.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

That model is from around '53. In order for it to work properly and be reliable, it will need a complete overhaul of the amplifier and record changer. Unrestored record players from this period usually don't sell for more than around $25. And, don't go to the effort and expense of restoring this, unless you decide to keep it, because you will likely have more in it than you would be able to get out of it. For restoration, you'd be looking at a new idler wheel ($30), a new cartridge ($30), new motor mounts and capacitors for the amplifier ($15), any out of spec resistors and any defective tubes would have to be replaced, and the record changer would have to be cleaned and lubricated. You could easily spend $75-$100 on parts alone.

If you, or someone else, restores this; it will sound much better and is a much better built unit than those Chinese reproductions that are currently available for an inflated price.