Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-20-2022, 04:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith tube sockets: is there a trick to re-mounting them?

I have a hybrid Zenith OG Chromacolor set that the socket of the 6JD5 HV regulator tube has come loose from its mountings. Most of the Compactron sockets in the chassis, including this one, have two ears, each containing a hollow, cone-shaped um, thing. Said thing is inserted into one of the solder pots on the chassis, and it was I assume soldered there to hold it in place.

Both ears of the 6JD5 have come loose, so the socket is just sort of hanging there by its attached components and wires. One of the ears has its cone-thing empty, no solder, no nothing, the other one has some components soldered into it which seem to be grounded through cone-thing, which is soldered into the solder pot on the chassis.

Has anyone had to replace or re-attach one of these things before? My idea is so add 1 couple cm of solder to the empty solder pots, then heat them from the other side with a beefy iron. Everything is brittle in this set so I'm mindful of not wanting to melt or otherwise damage that socket, that there will probably never be another one of.

Suggestions anyone?
Old 05-20-2022, 05:05 PM
M is for Memory

Those sockets have those unique Zenith through chassis solder terminals as the pin terminals and the mount points where they solder to grounded tabs on the chassis...if the mount point solder joints crack I just reflow them with my 80W soldering iron, and add some fresh solder to the joint to strengthen it, do a wiggle check after it's cool and if it don't wiggle call it good.

I probably have some used ones I could send you if it comes to that, but they generally aren't fragile as long as you aren't trying to break them.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-20-2022, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

EM speaks of one style socket. Some use a shock mount like
on 4 tube hybrids. On the damper tube its mounted on a grommet
& plastic pin ( socket PN 78-1888-01 ). A few others use this
set up but too long ago to remember. Reason I remember this one
is the damper tube sockets on 4 tubers & 14", 16" commonly
burned up. WOW that was YEARS ago, OMG !!. Anyhows soldered in sockets
went right in. Keep in mind you can drill out the center rivet to remove
unused pins like on the damper.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 05-21-2022, 10:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the tips, guys. It was easier than I thought it would be. This set has several of these soldered-in ones, a couple of the shock-mounted ones, and the damper sits on top of the chassis with two tabs folded over the ears and then glued into place, so I got some variety!
Old 05-23-2022, 09:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

To solder those tube sockets, and the ground connections, you need a BIG soldering gun like a Weller D550. The smaller ones just don't get the joint hot enough. 40 years ago, when I was working for a Zenith dealer, we stocked the little grommets and plastic rivets that were used on a couple of the tube sockets; they were getting brittle and breaking, even back then.
Audiokarma