Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

where did the light bulbs all go!?

Heard they were going to be gone, so stocked up on cases of 60W and 100W bulbs several years ago. Now the time to prepare has come and gone, and I realized I just used up my last 40W bulbs... forgot to stock up on those!

Time to go to Mexico? I'm sure I can't be the only one here who wants some normal light bulbs.

I recently saw 100W bulbs being sold for temporary construction lighting, and I see rough service bulbs are still being made. The only 40s I can find though are decorative bulbs.. they will have to do for now but I want some frosted type "A" 40W light bulbs, I never thought this would be something hard to buy in my life time!
Old 12-06-2016, 02:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

For the 40W bulbs just go to the dump & pull them
out of fridges & ovens. Most used 40W heavy duty.
You can still get all styles & wattages. Quite a few on-line
dealers. I switched to the rough duty 130V lamps & only
loose about one a year. Used to be almost a weekly event !
Stores could still be selling them but they are cowards
when it comes to selling something un PC ! Me I fight
back. Its fun ........

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 12-06-2016, 03:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm going to start buying them wherever I see them, I went to a whole pile of stores looking for 40W frosted bulbs and ended up with some 40W clear chandelier bulbs. Didn't think about appliance bulbs, will try that.

130V bulbs may last a long time but they put out less light than 120V bulbs do, and they also burn a bit yellow, the filament doesn't heat up enough to be white. A new use for the variac?
Old 12-06-2016, 03:22 PM
M is for Memory

I know some stores that still sell normal bulbs (I want to keep it to my self though)....

Part of what makes the 130V heavy duty bulbs last is that they are ran under their rated voltage....There is a vintage TV/radio site in Austrailia (where the eco-nazis struck earlier than here) where they talk of using CL-90s to limit surge current to prolong life, and doing things to reduce voltage slightly for extended life.

I really hope that now that the party most favorable to the eco-nazis is on it's way to a few years of irrelevancy that we can undo the legislation that banned incandescent lighting and return to the good stuff.

I wish the pollution wing of the eco-nazis would have fought with the conservation/carbon wing before the ban passed....The new hippy-dippy lights are WORSE for the environment since fluorescent lights contain mercury and phosphor, and LEDs are full of plastic...Neither biodegrades, and all are toxic or contain carcinogens...In contrast to incandescents that are made of melted sand, aluminum, copper and tungsten which are all much safer in a land fill...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-06-2016, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I know some stores that still sell normal bulbs (I want to keep it to my self though)....

Part of what makes the 130V heavy duty bulbs last is that they are ran under their rated voltage....There is a vintage TV/radio site in Austrailia (where the eco-nazis struck earlier than here) where they talk of using CL-90s to limit surge current to prolong life, and doing things to reduce voltage slightly for extended life.

I really hope that now that the party most favorable to the eco-nazis is on it's way to a few years of irrelevancy that we can undo the legislation that banned incandescent lighting and return to the good stuff.

I wish the pollution wing of the eco-nazis would have fought with the conservation/carbon wing before the ban passed....The new hippy-dippy lights are WORSE for the environment since fluorescent lights contain mercury and phosphor, and LEDs are full of plastic...Neither biodegrades, and all are toxic or contain carcinogens...In contrast to incandescents that are made of melted sand, aluminum, copper and tungsten which are all much safer in a land fill...
I changed a number of my bulbs to LED and CFL. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that if you are leaving a light by the front door on all night long, or giving some indoor plants a helping hand to survive the winter, a more efficient and longer lasting lamp is not a bad thing. In fact I have recently installed light fixtures that have no lamp and no socket, but rather a circuit board with an array of surface mount LEDs - I am all for progress.

What does bother me though, is that someone thinks that banning old technology is the solution, rather than just letting new tech slowly take over on its own merit. After all, when was the last time you saw an incandescent bulb installed in an office, or commercial building? (save for those silly retro bulbs which are all over now)

In my stereo room I have several fixtures I want to keep as incandescent, so the lack of 40W bulbs is killing the ambience.
Audiokarma
Old 12-06-2016, 05:26 PM
Restoring an admiral c322

I don't use any of those led pieces of junk. I use 20000 hour incandescents. I don't think they plan to stop making them either

Admiral C322C2 Regent (Restoring)
RCA CTC-7 Pensbury (Restored)
RCA CTC-5 Westcott (Restored)
CRA CTC--4 Director 21 (Restoring)
Old 12-06-2016, 05:31 PM
I love old stuff

I made some provisions. In Romania oficially light bulb imports are prohibited... but you can find Ukranian and Chinese light bulbs; I've seen 150-200 W Ukranian made light bulbs. Geesh, I miss the Hungaryan "Tungrsam" light bulbs
Old 12-06-2016, 05:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

That's a good call, 20,000 hour bulbs. I found some online.

I'm going to go to some dollar stores and discount stores and out of the way mom and pop type gas stations and grocery stores and try and see if I can find any old stock sitting around. I can't say I'm a big fan of long life bulbs, because of crappy CRI, and light output, but if it's all there is it's all there is.

It irritates me that those phoney Edison Mazda lamps (which are quite different from the originals), are everywhere, but a plain 60W bulb is nowhere to be found. Don't get me wrong, I think the old Mazda lamps are cool, I actually have an original one as a collectible. They just aren't that useful for actual illumination.

Last edited by maxhifi; 12-06-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
I want some frosted type "A" 40W light bulbs, I never thought this would be something hard to buy in my life time!

These?

GE 40W A19 Frosted
Old 12-06-2016, 07:51 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Dollar Tree?

The Dollar Tree stores in our area have all sorts of stuff that is unique - the main corporate headquarters is in the area, so all test items run through here....

https://www.dollartree.com/household...c557/index.cat

Some 40/60/100/3-Way bulbs listed....
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 12-06-2016, 08:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't understand why so many people think the incandescents are a thing of the past and no longer available. They may be tough to find in stores, but you can order all you want online from places like Home Depot. If they were popular and in demand, they'd likely be back on the store shelves.

Here are some of the 40-watt bulbs, and there are many more wattages available.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sylvania-...11-0/203654378

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-D...8690/203349418
Old 12-06-2016, 11:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Alright you guys got me thinking, thank you!

I couldn't find incandescent bulbs at Home Depot, Lowe's, Safeway, wal-mart, etc so just assumed I can't get them at all. Then I checked amre supply, where I go to buy plumbing and hvac stuff. They have tons and the prices are reasonable. Gonna drop in tomorrow.

https://www.amresupply.com/catalog/A19-LB16

That's just the A19 bulbs
Old 12-08-2016, 06:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Their still around as I seen them at Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart last week in my area when I was there.Can blame the envirofreaks for it.

The last few months I've been changing all the lights over to LED from CFL and incandescent bulbs.No more buzz on the radios from the CFL.s .I can actually DX the bands again.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:26 PM
M is for Memory

Where did the light bulbs all go? Long time passing.
Where did the light bulbs all go!? Long time ago.
Where did the light bulbs all go!? Gone to green hippy BS every one!
When Will they ever learn? When will they e-ever Learn?

.......Sorry thread title triggered a Kingston Trio moment.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-08-2016, 09:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Where did the light bulbs all go? Long time passing.
Where did the light bulbs all go!? Long time ago.
Where did the light bulbs all go!? Gone to green hippy BS every one!
When Will they ever learn? When will they e-ever Learn?

.......Sorry thread title triggered a Kingston Trio moment.
I thought that song was by "The Brothers Four".
Audiokarma