Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 AM
TheUniversalDave1

V-M 560A problems

My history teacher asked me yesterday if I could fix his V-M 560A record player. I don't know much about record players, but he said he accidentally left in on all weekend. When he came back, it was still turning but without any sound. I think the transformer may have shorted, but I can't confirm that. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by TUD1; 08-07-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
My history teacher asked me yesterday if I could fix his V-M 560A record player. I don't know much about record players, but he said he accidentally left in on all weekend. When he came back, it was still turning but without any sound. I think the transformer may have shorted, but I can't confirm that. Any input is appreciated.
If the transformer shorted, your nose would know. The amp in that model is a great one for a table model.
Once the real problem is found, it's probably overdue for a recap job.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

might want to check continuity on all transformer windings before you get into it too far, but if you dont smell anything, they are probably OK. If the caps are original you will need to replace all paper and electrolytic caps, normal maintenance for anything this old, if they haven't failed yet, they will. Not much else to go wrong with these. If the filter caps short, that can take out the rectifier tube, if the rectifier is bad, check for that before you put a new one in. If the changer hasn't been serviced recently, check the motor mounts and lubricate the motor bearings with sewing machine or turbine oil. The voice of music website has parts and service information for these.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:47 PM
Banned

I worked on one just like this last year and the one I worked on had a bad 5Y3GT Rectifier tube and an intermittent 12AX7 preamp tube socket that I had to clean the socket pins on because they had cadmium disease and I relubed the motor bearings but that was it because the changer mechanism still worked fine yet. that clear plastic button that lights up on this unit is actually an external activation switch for the changer.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:42 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Well I decided that one record changer just wasn't enough, so I went to the radio club today and got my very own Voice of Music 560A in the walnut cabinet, which I like. It sort of works, but not really good. It has barely any volume, and no bass. And it's running slow. Here is a video
Old 09-24-2016, 05:27 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I think I found the problem. I blew out the underside of the tone arm with some air, and that got it working good for a while, then it went back to being quiet. After that it would occasionally play loudly, but very scratchy, and just for an instant.

Last edited by TUD1; 03-12-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:33 PM
Old TVs are better!

Watched your video, and to me it sounds like you have a bad cartridge. Many times the cartridge goes bad with age, or gets a bad connection internally. To check: With the record player on, and volume up,raise the tonearm and touch the push on terminals of the back of the cartridge. You should get a very loud hum/buzz. If you do it means that the amplifier is working but you have a bad weak cartridge. The fact that you blew out the underside of the arm and it returned to normal for a bit, to me almost proves you have a bad cartridge. VM should have a replacement.
Also I agree with the posts above, the changer probably needs to be cleaned, lubed, and the rubber parts possibly need to be replaced. Caps are always a problem in these old units, so a recap job is always a good measure if you want to keep it going, even if it still works. I highly doubt with your first unit mentioned that your fixing that the transformer would be bad. No sound at all could mean a bad tube, capacitor(s), or connections. Also look for burn't resistors. A shorted filter capacitor many times will take out a resistor that is in the power supply, coming off the rectifier tube. Other than the knobs, it looks like it's in pretty good shape.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:48 PM
Old TVs are better!

Here is some updated info. Even though I couldn't find a schematic download for the VM560A for free of the amplifier, if you go to this e-bay site, the front of the Sams is posted on there, which also shows the amplifier schematic. Hover over the front of the page and its quite readable. If no sound on the first unit suspect R17 470 ohm 2 watt resistor and see if that is open and/or burn't. You should have slightly over 200 volts at both ends of the resistor. Also C1 the filter capacitor can. That may have taken out the resistor. It has a great amplifier for a small table top record player. Two 6V6 output tubes in push pull should give you plenty of power and volume. Looks like there is also a muting switch somewhere that mutes the record changer probably somewhere on the turntable. It might be to mute the sound when the changer is cycling, or a manual switch to switch from phono to the external input.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-V-M-560...-/272322002175
Old 09-24-2016, 09:48 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I sprayed some contact cleaner in the cartridge, and it has not gotten quiet again since, but it is very scratchy.

I tried playing a couple of my good records on this thing, and oh boy. The tracking was absolutely horrendous. Constantly skipping. This thing needs a new needle and cartridge real good.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:57 AM
Peanut Head

Those Sonotone carts were great, but are near impossible to find in working condition nowadays. Good luck.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Audiokarma
Old 09-25-2016, 09:05 AM
Old TVs are better!

Check out this site for Sonotone Needles and Cartridges.

http://www.turntableneedles.com/SONOTONE_c_24319.html

Also check out this site. They even rebuild cartridges I had one rebuilt by them for an Illustravox projector/record player salesmaker unit

http://www.west-techservices.com/index.htm
Old 09-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Alchemizes cash to tubes

Gary at VM audio enthusiasts sells Pfanstiehl carts that swap in for the old Sonotones. They're stereo, so you have to combine the channels to use it, but it'll make your player able to play both stereo and mono records.

Plus it's affordable, so there's that going for it.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:55 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Well something else broke on this thing today. I went to play a record, and somehow, the button does not work anymore. I pressed it, and it just went straight in and fell inside the cabinet. I really don't know how this crap can literally happen overnight. Plus, I have no idea how to open the cabinet to fix it.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Peanut Head

Gremlins at work!

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:28 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Gremlins you say...

Last edited by TUD1; 09-22-2017 at 01:23 AM.
Audiokarma