Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of those ceramic main disconnects with an open knife switch and two plug fuses, we've sure come a long way from that to the bloated modern code which requires an AFCI on absolutely everything!
The CEC and CSA were always stricter than the NEC and U/L.
In the US, all new construction and service updates require AFCI breakers in the sleeping and living areas.
Regarding the two pole knife and plug fuse block, I saw them in old homes with K&T wiring. One home had one furnishing the power to one basement light. It struck me as strange! One home had one, just for the door bell transformer.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The CEC and CSA were always stricter than the NEC and U/L.
In the US, all new construction and service updates require AFCI breakers in the sleeping and living areas.
Regarding the two pole knife and plug fuse block, I saw them in old homes with K&T wiring. One home had one furnishing the power to one basement light. It struck me as strange! One home had one, just for the door bell transformer.
Since NAFTA, the CEC has made efforts to be more and more like the NEC, and unique to Canada manufacturers have been replaced one by one by global corporations. As someone who works with both the CEC and the NEC I would say the NEC is a way better document. It has a lot more explanation on how to follow rules, while the CEC is really subject to interpretation, and usually when I am confused about a CEC rule I just check what the NEC says and follow that. Practically, there's less and less difference between the wiring practice in the USA and Canada with every code updatw
One of the main ones is we have "Teck" cable and you have "MC" cable - ours has an extra layer of insulation. I think it's better than MC. On the other hand the UL de-listed stab-lock panels in the 80s and here they were the residential norm until not so long ago.
I've read instructions about how to make a "dim bulb" tester out of one of those old ceramic fuse blocks, if I find one I think I will use it that way.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=zeno
Whats best ? When someone asks me I tell them a 30 year
old top load Maytag & I am dead serious. I think only
Speed Queen still makes an indestructible washer built
like they used to be.

73 Zeno[/QUOTE]

Second the Speed queen, oh and if you want clean clothes use a top loader. the only down side of the speed queen is it can be rough on clothes, but it does get them clean, just wears them out faster. Also no electronic do dads to break, a simple mechanical timer that's it. Built to survive a laundry mat, it can take home use forever.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hot water in the US home is well above 40C. Typical is 50C to 60C. anything above 55 is a bit dangerous.

Modern US washers are not as good as older ones. They use too little water and always
rinse with cold water. Mine on hot (water at about 55C) will clean large loads that are just ordinary clothing worn to an office, on the "supersize" with a modest amount of powdered detergent, quite well and won't leave enough detergent to annoy my skin. Use liquid detergent and it won't get socks clean.

Modestly dirty clothes require modest loads with the supersize setting and lots of powdered detergent. Really dirty clothes require running through the wash cycle on hot, lots of powdered detergent, letting drain, and then running a whole cycle on hot to get all the dirt and detergent out (i.e. a hot wash followed by a cold wash.)

The good news is that the cycle is quite fast, and the water heater is up to generating
two loads of hot water. The system is actually quite OK, except that the recommended liquid detergent simply works badly.

The matching dryer works perfectly. It is amazing how well it knows to stop just exactly when the load gets completely dry.
It must have a humidity sensor.

A price comment: my washer cost $450. The absolutely identical washer in a small town in Panama was the exact same price. (Panama's official currency is the
US dollar ... they use our physical bills.)
Old 05-24-2017, 05:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just about all new washing machines sold here nowadays are cold fill only, you have to heat the cold water with the internal heater using expensive electricity if you want to do a warm or hot wash, they even have the cheek to say they are more energy efficient than the old hot & cold fill machines we used to have..
Audiokarma
Old 06-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton
Top loaders by FAR are more reliable.
Yup and better also!

Most traditonal stuff is
Old 08-18-2017, 12:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was yabbering to an electrical repair man who went to a neighbours house earlier (I gave him a cup of tea, us English always give everyone a cup of tea, it was builders tea = strong black tea with milk & sugar to taste, real tea not this fancy green stuff) & he told me to buy the cheapest washing machine I could find at Tesco, Argos or a similar cheapo place & run it till it breaks down then scrap it. Then buy another cheapo job & repeat. He said to do the same with TV's & DVD players..
Old 08-19-2017, 10:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
I was yabbering to an electrical repair man who went to a neighbours house earlier (I gave him a cup of tea, us English always give everyone a cup of tea, it was builders tea = strong black tea with milk & sugar to taste, real tea not this fancy green stuff) & he told me to buy the cheapest washing machine I could find at Tesco, Argos or a similar cheapo place & run it till it breaks down then scrap it. Then buy another cheapo job & repeat. He said to do the same with TV's & DVD players..
I drive past a appliance dealer, almost daily and they set the trade-ins next to the building. I see a lot of really late model washers, dryers, fridges, ranges and microwaves.
As I understand, it could cost at least half of replacement cost for the repairs on these items. By the looks of some these items, they're higher end, at least over $1000 USD new! Many front load washers and matching dryers.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:03 AM
"Book em Dano!"

As far as refrigerators, buy the cheapest ones with manual cold controls. They will last a lot longer than that digital crap. Dual cool fridges are another thing to avoid. Whirlpool is the worst with leaky evaporators in the fridge side. Unfortunately most modern frdiges use a vairable 220V compressor. The inverter boards go bad all the time and are expensive to replace. Some have to be rebuilt as you cannot buy them new anymore.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Bought some 2 in 1 washing powder from Aldi (a German discount store popular in England) & it says 'effective at 20 degrees centigrade!' Our cold tap water is 17 degrees C so I'm thinking "that's close enough" so been doing cold washes. Everything comes out nice & clean & smells nice so = good result. The Aldi washing powder is a lot cheaper than the main brands i.e. Daz, Persil, Ariel etc but seems to be just as good..
Audiokarma
Old 08-30-2017, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I drive past a appliance dealer, almost daily and they set the trade-ins next to the building. I see a lot of really late model washers, dryers, fridges, ranges and microwaves.
As I understand, it could cost at least half of replacement cost for the repairs on these items. By the looks of some these items, they're higher end, at least over $1000 USD new! Many front load washers and matching dryers.
It reminds me of going to the pick n pull wrecking yard, and seeing that most of the cars there, are newer than my daily driver. Makes me wonder if people get rid of things prematurely, or if I just hold on to them too long. In any case, I don't see the sense in replacing appliances which work perfectly well, or require minor repair. I think a large part of the problem, is service techs who are not much more than parts changers, and a lack of interest/resourcefulness/ability of the average consumer to repair what they own.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly0410 View Post
Bought some 2 in 1 washing powder from Aldi (a German discount store popular in England) & it says 'effective at 20 degrees centigrade!' Our cold tap water is 17 degrees C so I'm thinking "that's close enough" so been doing cold washes. Everything comes out nice & clean & smells nice so = good result. The Aldi washing powder is a lot cheaper than the main brands i.e. Daz, Persil, Ariel etc but seems to be just as good..
We have Aldi's here in the U.S. too, if my work schedule wasn't so weird, I would be able to check them out more.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:25 AM
The Resident Brony

Aldi's is awesome. Actually decent food at actually decent prices.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

I just saw in the holiday flyer that LG came out with a dual washer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lgwasher.jpg (5.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-04-2017, 10:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
It reminds me of going to the pick n pull wrecking yard, and seeing that most of the cars there, are newer than my daily driver. Makes me wonder if people get rid of things prematurely, or if I just hold on to them too long. In any case, I don't see the sense in replacing appliances which work perfectly well, or require minor repair. I think a large part of the problem, is service techs who are not much more than parts changers, and a lack of interest/resourcefulness/ability of the average consumer to repair what they own.
You heard the old saying, "A fool and their money!".
I keep my cars until the repairs, if needed, exceed the Blue Book wholesale price of the car. I see people do that all the time, spending $3000 on a car that's worth $2000.
I, generally don't have problems with my cars! If I do, I will attempt to do the repairs myself, as I now have the time.
Audiokarma