Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Biggest row my wife & I have w/each other is over her choice of stuff to watch on the TV. Some of you MIGHT have noticed that I have maybe, a SLIGHT predisposition towards Sarcasm...Well, my wife likes to watch shows on home decorating, & those shows seem to have a PREDOMINANCE of incredibly "Gay" guys on them. We ain't talkin' "Metrosexuals", here, these guys are as Flaming as an early Sixties' hot-rod paint job... I really don't mind what people do in the privacy of their bedrooms, live & let live, & all that, but Hay-Zoos Christos ! If they're gonna be THAT gotdam FLAMBOYANT, yeah, Unca Sandy is prolly let fly a few Choice Zingers.. Goes back to my Boarding School days... It was basically Verbally Kill-Or-Be-Killed there... You learned REAL quick the fine art of slicing an opponent to PIECES w/yr wits & tongue.. But it was really GREAT sport & fun.. Having a few Juniors & Seniors verbally sparring, while the "Pygmies"-7th, 8th graders, & lower grade Upper School guys sitting there, lapping it up, while us "Older & Wiser" types ripped each other to SHREDS.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Biggest row my wife & I have w/each other is over her choice of stuff to watch on the TV. Some of you MIGHT have noticed that I have maybe, a SLIGHT predisposition towards Sarcasm...Well, my wife likes to watch shows on home decorating, & those shows seem to have a PREDOMINANCE of incredibly "Gay" guys on them. We ain't talkin' "Metrosexuals", here, these guys are as Flaming as an early Sixties' hot-rod paint job... I really don't mind what people do in the privacy of their bedrooms, live & let live, & all that, but Hay-Zoos Christos ! If they're gonna be THAT gotdam FLAMBOYANT, yeah, Unca Sandy is prolly let fly a few Choice Zingers.. Goes back to my Boarding School days... It was basically Verbally Kill-Or-Be-Killed there... You learned REAL quick the fine art of slicing an opponent to PIECES w/yr wits & tongue.. But it was really GREAT sport & fun.. Having a few Juniors & Seniors verbally sparring, while the "Pygmies"-7th, 8th graders, & lower grade Upper School guys sitting there, lapping it up, while us "Older & Wiser" types ripped each other to SHREDS.
You, sir, must have cut the widest swath of destruction in that school's history in that regard. Not that that's a bad thing, heh. Someone give this guy the Nobel Pieces prize!
Old 05-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
You, sir, must have cut the widest swath of destruction in that school's history in that regard. Not that that's a bad thing, heh. Someone give this guy the Nobel Pieces prize!
Pffffft... I was NOTHING compared to a few guys I knew there. There was one dude, who if you looked up the word "Curmudgeon", his picture would have been there. Never understood how an 18 year old KID could have become so relentlessly SOUR in that short of time, but he was. I wonder where he ended up. He was the kind of guy who could absolutely "Rip You To Shreds", yet have you LOVING every second of it. As far as I knew, he came from a nice family, nothing in his background would suggest his skill as a verbal warrior, w/rapier-like wit. I HOPE he put his steel-trap mind to good use, & is a hotshot Lawyer somewhere, pulling down a 6-figure salary. Either that, or he blew his brains out long ago..
Old 05-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
I HOPE he put his steel-trap mind to good use, & is a hotshot Lawyer somewhere, pulling down a 6-figure salary. Either that, or he blew his brains out long ago..
So, it was either six figures or a six-shooter for him.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Uhh, yeah. Basically.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S
Thanks Guys. Real collectors care
Yes we sure do..... WE VALUE THE BETTER QUALITY!!!!

Im glad ya got them back Tom
Old 05-19-2014, 06:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
And, as being somebody who's ALWAYS been somewhat "Historical"-Or izzat "Hysterical" ?!?-THAT aspect of it appeals to me. WHAT/WHO/WHERE did my R-3XXs serve, what did they listen to ? The EK-07, as well.. Did a few of my sets tell their owners that the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor, & were they a stalwart companion who soothed a troubled mind in the next 4 years.
LOL, in 1991, I bought an RCA C-13-2 five-band console radio that had a huge hum - which I knew (as would anyone reading this forum) meant the power supply electrolytics were bad. I envisioned people listening to this radio hearing about Hitler and Stalin agreeing to split Europe, about Martian invaders, about German invaders into Poland, about Pearl Harbor, and Hiroshima.

So, I spent an evening finishing up my installation of new electrolytics, hoisted the chassis into the huge wooden cabinet (it's bigger than a CT-100!), hooked everything up, plugged it in, turned it on, and it warmed up to news bulletins of the first US bomber attacks on Iraq in the First Gulf War.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:14 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
You are right. All junk to her.
Anyone who considers my TVs junk is junk to me.

Some jerk from a wealthy family turned down an invitation to come to my place to watch a movie on one of my sets, instead choosing his giant flat panel and of course the blu-ray disc from my combo pack. I called it quits with him for a number of reasons once he took a step too far, good riddance.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Boy, I'd love to watch a movie on a nice working color TV from the US! Stupid rich punks don't know how much these TVs paved the way for TV tech. I'm 16 and only ONE or two of my friends appreciate all the old stuff.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroFormat32 View Post
Boy, I'd love to watch a movie on a nice working color TV from the US! Stupid rich punks don't know how much these TVs paved the way for TV tech. I'm 16 and only ONE or two of my friends appreciate all the old stuff.
Yep. You DON'T know what a THRILL it was to see a Roundie color set back in the day when they were NEW... Even when they were properly set up, & back then, they often WEREN'T, they had a "Look" to them that is hard to describe, but it was immensely satisfying..
Old 05-26-2014, 05:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroFormat32 View Post
G'day mate
Same thing with the young'ns in the states. Best way to show them
how good old electronics was is with a tube type Hi Fi & a good set of
speakers. You CAN NOT buy better sound without a pile of money &
and almost nobody does. There is good reason for tubes being used
still in the best amps. You are keeping a little history alive, be proud.
And dont forget the other old things, appreciate them. Maybe with
luck & hard work you can get an old Studebaker Hawk to drive, they
were popular in Australia.........

73 Zeno
Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Yep. You DON'T know what a THRILL it was to see a Roundie color set back in the day when they were NEW... Even when they were properly set up, & back then, they often WEREN'T, they had a "Look" to them that is hard to describe, but it was immensely satisfying..

INDEED you do have a point about that. I have spoken before about my Roundie for the very early 1980's--a zenith 25MC33. It DID have a "special look" to it at the time--even BETTER than the flat-chassis chromacolor sets !! And it was NOT dim--either--I often watched it n my bedroom with the lights ON--with no problem. It WAS set up pretty well--too and had decent convergence and purity--IIRC.