Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Tv's are back

Well after almost one year I finally scored my Collector Tv's back from the clutches of my Now ex wife. One is in Storage and one is where I'm living now with my Brother. Thank god for him. Now I just got to find a better CRT for my CTC11. After standing I'ts not in the greatest shape.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Workin' Late Again

Oh wow, Tom, sorry to hear that.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Whenever I see a title like "my tv's are back" I donow I always expect to see a nice
long paragraph or 5 where maybe they decided they needed to make a trip to the coast,
maybe sit with their legs in the ocean, maybe you put up signs on phone poles "missing tv"
with pictures....
Then one day they come waling up the sidewalk, say "hey I missed ya-"

So this is also the third divorce comment I think I've read involving something
to do with tv collections..... Is this a bad thing......

Maybe you guys need to stuff worse than collecting tv's..... Give that up,
less wife trouble, less tv trouble....

Good to see ya- got em back !

Last edited by Username1; 05-04-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Guys. Real collectors care. Hey Kevin they still play mint. Still lookin for a CRT for the 61 RCA. Cataract is still the same and no time to fix it
Old 05-05-2014, 08:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Thanks Guys. Real collectors care. Hey Kevin they still play mint. Still lookin for a CRT for the 61 RCA. Cataract is still the same and no time to fix it
Finding a really good 21FJ or a NOS CRT without a cataract is rather remote. You're better off removing the faceplate and cleaning the bad resin. It's also a lot cheaper.
There's plenty of posts on this forum, with the various methods that other collectors had great success with.
Audiokarma
Old 05-06-2014, 07:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am willing to bet that your ex never cared for the old sets. Am I right?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Women generally are at best, INDIFFERENT to our strange collecting wants/desires/needs.. My wife will stick her head in the "Ships' Radio Room", curl her lip in feigned disgust, snort, maybe, & inquire as to "Why Don't you Clean This Up ?!?" But she sees how much pleasure they give me, & figures maybe a junked-up room or 2 ain't TOO bad, in the overall scheme of things..
Old 05-06-2014, 09:24 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Congrats on getting them back. Seems that the bad women out there will always go after our prized possessions. Not that they actually want the items for themselves, they're just being vindictive. Both genders are guilty of all kinds of wrongdoing, but the women it seems to me aren't held responsible nearly as often.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Each couple have differences for sure. My wife wants to go on cruises, go to Jamaica, go
to other islands, a newer car, more success with Avon, Bed-Bath-&-Beyond up the house
a little, and burn candles. I like to go on exhausting bike rides, run, collect tv crap,
and other mechanical crap, weld stuff in the garage, and keep 30 year old cars running.
We don't get too involved in each others crap, but we do work together, I do a lot more Avon
than any 5 other husbands on the planet. We do one thing though, We try to get along.
We do support each other, and from our friends we hear surprise in them when they
find out how much the other has support for the others activities, or work.

I have someone who generally does not complain about a new tv acquisition, and she
has someone to stamp her Avon books, bag stuff, keep some books, update her
website, and the other stuff I can do with my knowledge.

I'm not saying that others don't get along with their respective partners, I know the tv
crap takes up a lot of room, and visitors see a CRT tv in the living room and for at least
30 minutes cumulative you can catch glimpses of them staring at it.... Not to mention
explaining you ARE a successful Avon Rep, but drive a '91 Accord.... I have to give my wife
a lot of credit for putting up with me........ I think I direct much more of our life, direction,
and outward appearance than she is happy with, So I won't complain if she one day says
hey, where you gunna put that one....? Maybe I got enough....

And yes, Sandy has a good handle on it too.... Most MEN I believe would look
indifferent and kinda cross-eyed at collecting and working on old tv's, and
USING old tvs, when you could just have a 70" tv on yer 130" wall....
and 30 aluminum cans in yer recycling bin and a weak voice from screaming at the
wall each Monday morning, instead of a few burned fingers, and a headache trying to
figure out where the sound signal got lost on some dusty old Zenith.....

Last edited by Username1; 05-07-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Women generally are at best, INDIFFERENT to our strange collecting wants/desires/needs.. My wife will stick her head in the "Ships' Radio Room", curl her lip in feigned disgust, snort, maybe, & inquire as to "Why Don't you Clean This Up ?!?" But she sees how much pleasure they give me, & figures maybe a junked-up room or 2 ain't TOO bad, in the overall scheme of things..
Sandy has it about right as Mr Squirrel says. We accept that besides being male and female, we are very different in other ways.

Ive been married 17 years. My wife got me a wedding present, a 1936 GE AM-SW floor model. I got her a big chunk of rose quartz.
We still have both. I respect her shoes, clothes and books. I dont comment unless the credit card bill can't be paid off that month.

She rarely says anything about another radio, TV or appliance showing up but she always notices when something is in the back of the truck.
Having your own room and some spare time is key to this hobby, no matter where you squeeze it from.

I was married before for two years in the late 80s. My ex cared little for this stuff. I saw a rare 1934 Philco console radio-RP at a yard sale, moved both seats in my VW Rabbit forward so I could stuff it in. And endured bitching the whole way home. I still have that radio, its in our bedroom!

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 05-08-2014 at 09:28 AM. Reason: grammar
Audiokarma
Old 05-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

And, as being somebody who's ALWAYS been somewhat "Historical"-Or izzat "Hysterical" ?!?-THAT aspect of it appeals to me. WHAT/WHO/WHERE did my R-3XXs serve, what did they listen to ? The EK-07, as well.. Did a few of my sets tell their owners that the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor, & were they a stalwart companion who soothed a troubled mind in the next 4 years.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Yeah, and did my Zenith play the original Gone in 60 Seconds when it was on TV for the very first time in the area?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:14 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Yeah, i often wonder if my 37 Delco told its owners of the Hindenburg's crash, or the new Gone with the wind movie at the local theater?

SR
Old 05-10-2014, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
. Did a few of my sets tell their owners that the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor, & were they a stalwart companion who soothed a troubled mind in the next 4 years.

I always though the GERMANS bombed Pearl Harbor....he..he...He..
Old 05-10-2014, 02:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

You are right. All junk to her.