Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
You need to have the card or you cannot disable the satellite dish antenna on those boxes.
I had forgot about issues with using the DirecTV/OTA combo tuners without access cards (because I always had cards in mine). Can you put in a card long enough to change the setting(s), then remove the card? If so, you could probably borrow a card from a friend with DirecTV long enough to do so. (DirecTV boxes also have error messages about incorrect cards, but that should not be a problem just to get into the menus if I remember right.)

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 05-06-2012, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:39 PM
DTV blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
I am very cheap, have little time to watch anything and get very good OTA signal, so ATSC it. We use a Toshiba DVD recorder that has a built-in ATSC tuner. This replaces the 1986 Panasonic stereo VCR, that was fine for analog-era time-shifted recording.
Where'd you get that Toshiba? I would love to get my hands on one of those... that's exactly what I've been looking for for years.
I'm still using a Panasonic mono VHS VCR connected to my Maggotbox DTV converter box.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:30 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
I'm still using a Panasonic mono VHS VCR connected to my Maggotbox DTV converter box.
I also have a Panasonic mono VHS VCR (model PV-4022) connected to my flat screen TV. Works just perfectly, even on DTV channels (on the cable system in my area, Time Warner, all seven Cleveland network TV stations are digital; the rest of the cable channels are analog NTSC). My VCR was purchased new in 2002, ten years ago. The digital transition doesn't seem to bother it one bit, although I use the VCR mostly to watch old tapes these days and rarely for recording. My LG Blu-ray player gets more use than the VCR, as would be expected in this age of Blu-ray DVDs and the improved picture quality afforded by today's upscaling BR players; the only thing is, I'm not sure if I'm seeing the improvement, since I am currently using only a composite video connection (not an HDMI cable) between the Blu-ray and my TV.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-06-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenMaster View Post
Where'd you get that Toshiba? I would love to get my hands on one of those... that's exactly what I've been looking for for years.
This unit is an upgrade from my DR560, it will do 1080i
http://www.amazon.com/New-DVD-Record...93225&sr=1-129

I ordered it online from a place in Michigan

There are also VCR/DVD combos with ATSC-QAM http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMR-...6394354&sr=1-1

I inherited three maggot box STBs from my in-laws. They got the coupons and went to Mal-wart before I knew it. They have three new flats now, dishnet and an antenna. Dishnet will NOT pass along all the OTA channels, sometimes dropping one due to a dispute
Audiokarma