Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Re: dirty air conditioners, on the way back from West Texas I stopped at a motel in Junction, Texas, last summer. It was an inexpensive place but recently built and very clean and comfortable, with new looking furniture, fridge, microwave, etc. But the A/C / heat unit under the front window smelled of mold. It blew cold air, but I knew I couldn't stay in there as the smell was making me sick. I went to a local supermarket and bought a giant can of Lysol. Came back and shut off the A/C, pulled the front cover and filter, and hosed down the coil and drain pan with almost all that big can. Let it sit turned off for about an hour: the room stayed cool. After being turned on, it didn't smell any more. Not an ideal cleaning, but OK for one night. I know the drain pan must have been full of it and maybe partly clogged.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdaniel
Anyone got any old or other wise ancient air conditioners laying around or stories they would like to tell about em???
Yes I am very thankful to have an OLDER AIR CONDITIONER!!!!

They use FREON and produce MUCH COLDER AIR!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Re: dirty air conditioners, on the way back from West Texas I stopped at a motel in Junction, Texas, last summer. It was an inexpensive place but recently built and very clean and comfortable, with new looking furniture, fridge, microwave, etc. But the A/C / heat unit under the front window smelled of mold. It blew cold air, but I knew I couldn't stay in there as the smell was making me sick. I went to a local supermarket and bought a giant can of Lysol. Came back and shut off the A/C, pulled the front cover and filter, and hosed down the coil and drain pan with almost all that big can. Let it sit turned off for about an hour: the room stayed cool. After being turned on, it didn't smell any more. Not an ideal cleaning, but OK for one night. I know the drain pan must have been full of it and maybe partly clogged.
Did you tell the management about the problem?
They're wide open for a lawsuit. Some people are more subject to resperitory infections.
They probably never heard of "Legionaire's Disease".
Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

No, I didn't tell them; I should have.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Resurrecting an ages old thread, I finally found one!!!

From what I can tell, it's a 1959 Westinghouse Mobilaire mode MCA-117C. Note the original stand has the cursive Westinghouse logo on it. The whole thing is spotless!! I've been keeping a casual eye out for one this old for years and have never seen one before. I wouldn't imagine there are many left out there of this vintage.....these pics were taken prior to cleaning and polishing....but as you can see, it wasn't even that dirty

All I needed to do was clean the thermostat and she fired right up. And this sucker puts out some COLD air. The most awesome thing about it is that when I run it the whole basement smells like the inside of an old felt lined projector case. I so love that smell. Everyone that knows what that smell is knows exactly what I'm talking about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102_1184.jpg (98.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 102_1185.jpg (93.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 102_1186.jpg (113.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

I LOVE it! What a "Cool" find.
I keep a casual eye out as well, but like you said.. not many are out there.
I wonder what the back story is on yours. How it got kept, AND with the stand!!?
I wonder if it got kept as a spare?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:42 AM
Motorola Minion

Great find Tim - Along with style and marketing, Westinghouse A/C units were also tough and might have most beat in durability.

That was probably built at the Mansfield Ohio plant. Maybe the compressor has some patents from Carrier and others

Westinghouse was a world power when it came to electrical infrastructure, likely scaled down to make that unit last this long. Two start capacitors, easy to replace, not part of the sealed compressor.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Great find Tim - Along with style and marketing, Westinghouse A/C units were also tough and might have most beat in durability.

That was probably built at the Mansfield Ohio plant. Maybe the compressor has some patents from Carrier and others

Westinghouse was a world power when it came to electrical infrastructure, likely scaled down to make that unit last this long. Two start capacitors, easy to replace, not part of the sealed compressor.
Only one capacitor is used for the compressor, the large one. The smaller one is for the fan motor speeds.
All the sealed compressors used an external capacitor. Single phase air conditioner compressors were permanent-split capacitor start.
The compressor could be a Tecumseh pancake type. Almost indestuctable!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know of 2 houses built in 1958 that have original GE heat pump systems that are still running.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:04 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
I know of 2 houses built in 1958 that have original GE heat pump systems that are still running.
Not surprised at all considering how their old fridges hold up.
Audiokarma
Old 01-20-2017, 10:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
They really weren't intended to be used in colder climates like Wisconsin, as they don't work below 28 degrees F.
They're using them more around here for smaller homes, but they have back-up resistance elements, that automatically take over when the outside air is too cold.