Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Average lifetime of a CRT?

Out of curiosity, Does anyone know the expected or average lifetime of a CRT before it starts to degrade?

Reason I ask is my daily driver in the bedroom which is actually now technically a "nightly driver" is starting to lose its "depthness" to the colors. its hard to explain. the picture is still sharp, but the colors are going.

Anyways, its a 1994 BPC era Magnavox 25" table set that I have had since new. When it was new, I watched it way more often than just nighttime as I was a kid then, but as I grew into an adult and it has moved with me a couple times, its just become a bedroom at night TV. I have seen this same chassis and tube used for late wooden floor model sets as well. Have serviced a few with the same common faults.

So doing the math at 10 hours a night every night since 1994 puts it around 87,600 hours. thats a ton! and thats not even accurate because if I would account as a kid its more close to 100,000 hours or so.

But I have had to service it a couple of times. the 100uf cap in the horizontal stage is known for failure in this model and it failed twice before I beefed it up, and then I had to change some caps in the STR regulator circuit along with the STR and its fuse.

its been stable for 12 years since that failure.

Just wondering what your thoughts are and how long yours have lasted? For my set being made in a BPC era, its incredible that its lasted this long and STILL running.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:02 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

It depends on the quality of the CRT plant (cleanliness, degree of evacuation) as well as on the quality of the cathodes. These things varied from maker to maker.

IIRC, at one time (when viewing was mainly the three major networks), TV makers figured 2000 hours per year average use, with an average receiver life of ten years. Some of the crappier CRT plants (e.g., Admiral) would produce color tubes that had a significant percentage of failures in the first two years.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Also, consider some TV chassis designs drive a CRT very hard in the name of brightness and picture quality, Sylvania SuperSets being a major offender.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was figuring with mine being in the black plastic crap era when zenith was failing like crazy that the life would be much poorer than it has been. Its just surprised me.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
It depends on the quality of the CRT plant (cleanliness, degree of evacuation) as well as on the quality of the cathodes. These things varied from maker to maker.

IIRC, at one time (when viewing was mainly the three major networks), TV makers figured 2000 hours per year average use, with an average receiver life of ten years. Some of the crappier CRT plants (e.g., Admiral) would produce color tubes that had a significant percentage of failures in the first two years.
Wow thats a shame. My zenith has an admiral tube in it.
Audiokarma
Old 07-15-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbates14 View Post
I was figuring with mine being in the black plastic crap era when zenith was failing like crazy that the life would be much poorer than it has been. Its just surprised me.
You said it's a Magnavox - Philips tube?
Old 07-16-2018, 12:01 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Depends on the vintage. IIRC the bad admiral tubes were mid 60's to early 70's...Also check the EIA code. Many tubes were labeled as the brand that sold them NOT the brand that made them, but the EIA always tells the true maker.

Zenith CRTs were probably industry worst in the 90's (EPA regs changing materials they could use threw them off their game), yet were basically industry best in the 70's (some of their 70's tubes have had almost continuous regular service then till now and still can muster a decent picture). The longer-lived brands are like wine: there are good years and bad years.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-16-2018, 08:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Has anybody given any thought as to how long the epoxy seal holding the faceplate to the funnel will last. Especially with the weight of the yoke and funnel pulling it down.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Will fix about Anything

Magnavox/Philips 32" lasted over 100,000 hours on CRT, after 200,000 the second tube was OK but the chassis died (flyback), was not worth fixing since NAP had closed down and parts were not available. The replacement 48" flat screen in much better !!
Old 07-16-2018, 10:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
You said it's a Magnavox - Philips tube?
I believe it is a Philips tube. Bonded yoke with no convergence rings.
Audiokarma
Old 07-16-2018, 10:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Depends on the vintage. IIRC the bad admiral tubes were mid 60's to early 70's...Also check the EIA code. Many tubes were labeled as the brand that sold them NOT the brand that made them, but the EIA always tells the true maker.

Zenith CRTs were probably industry worst in the 90's (EPA regs changing materials they could use threw them off their game), yet were basically industry best in the 70's (some of their 70's tubes have had almost continuous regular service then till now and still can muster a decent picture). The longer-lived brands are like wine: there are good years and bad years.
Know where the EIA code would be located? it was a replacement I got from a guy named Jack where I used to live, back in 2004 or so.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I really doubt it came from the factory with an Admiral CRT, unless someone pulled the CRT from a scrap set.
IIRC, Admiral sold replacement CRT's of the common types.
I did see some Zenith's come through with RCA CRT's.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Know where the EIA code would be located? it was a replacement I got from a guy named Jack where I used to live, back in 2004 or so.
Is there a manufacturer's label? It should be on there as "EIAxxx"
Old 07-16-2018, 11:36 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
Has anybody given any thought as to how long the epoxy seal holding the faceplate to the funnel will last. Especially with the weight of the yoke and funnel pulling it down.
That is not epoxy, but rather Frit glass. Frit glass is a special type of glass with a lower melting point that allows joining the face to the funnel without softening/melting the face/funnel glass, burning the phosphor or heating the shadowmask to the point of warpage. Should last indefinitely...It has been in use since the 50's and does not really fail on those tubes.

Quote:
It is usually on the main sticker that has the CRT type number and most of the other info. Sometimes they put EIA in front of it so you know what it is, but often it is just a string of 3 or 4 numeric digits placed somewhere such that if you did not know about EIA numbers you'd guess it was some random meaningless number.

Google 'EIA numbers' or 'EIA (+ number on your tube)' to find the maker the number crosses to.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-16-2018, 06:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well if there was any sticker that contained an EIN number its long long gone.

Only thing I see is a silkscreen printed ADMIRAL CODE H03 on the CRT bell and thats it.
Audiokarma