Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:57 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Exclamation Vintage RCA signs? CLICK HERE!

Being the proactive individual that I am, and also being motivated (fed up!) with all the tards out there asking stupid high prices for vintage signs, I decided to contact a company about the possibility of getting one reproduced!

Now I realise that making new ones means they won't exactly be 'vintage' anymore, but for a lot of us it will be the cheapest option for getting a nice piece to hang in the TV room with the vintage color set. It's a possible solution to waiting endlessly for one to pop up on the 'net, and the prices will be fixed so you don't have to worry about getting out bid. It's win/win. Win win win actually, since we'd be supporting a Stateside business.

If I still have your attention, read on...

I contacted a company called Fire House Neon, located in Stockbridge, MI. I explained what I was interested in (see pictures below), and they sent me a quote. As of right now they are willing to build these signs for $423 each, including shipping. They would be 20" H x 37" W x 3" D, letter height would be about 5-6". They would have a black acrylic backing, to facilitate being hung on the wall. Power supply is included in the deal, so you don't have to worry about that.

I felt that the $423 price point is still a bit high, so I replied with a request for volume pricing. That means the price would come down based on how many are sold, so here's what I am proposing: If this sounds like something you could get on board with, reply to this thread and tell me how many you would buy. I will use the number of interested parties as ammo in my negotiations with them, in an attempt to get the price as low as possible for a possible group buy.

I think this could be a great opportunity to have a neat sign made for the collecting community, so if you want one let me know!

Last edited by miniman82; 09-22-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Followin' the Rules...

You'll be happy to know that the RCA Victor trademark, as it relates to TV's, is no longer registered/held by RCA or Thomson (now Technicolor)

http://tess2.uspto.gov/

I love the signs, but 400 bucks is steep. I have an "in" with a sign company that does Neon installs, but they don't make the signs.

I went round and round with RCA/Thomson over a request to scan/publish (for free) some RCA knob and tube directories I have from the 60's and 70's. I never got permission from any of the entities. Thomson responded quite harshly: "Thomson vigourously defends it's right to exercise control over RCA trademarks, copyrights, patent holdings and intellectual proprties. Any use without written, published permission shall be investigated and litigated in the courts." Then the guy went on to say he couldn't give perrmission for any RCA item in the US and it's territories.

You're in the clear though!

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Workin' Late Again

I'd have to see a actual prototype lit up before I'd commit that kind of money.

But it sounds like a fun project.

Kevin
Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 PM

Good to know!

$423 is high but if I can get them to come down a bit based on how many people would want one, it wouldn't be so bad. You have to keep in mind: what would it cost for the vintage version of the same sign? Literally everything out there right now is over $400, and it's all bammered crap by comparison. Cracked up outside signs, cheap framed cardboard... The one good one out there right now is DOUBLE what this company would charge us. This is a brand new sign, complete with power supply shipped to your doorstep. When I put it into perspective, I think it's a good deal. Especially if they are willing to bend a little on the price.

Remeber: there's no committment at this point, I just want to know how many people I'm dealing with so I can get back to them with a proposal.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:02 PM
hposter

RCA neons

Back in the day (1980s,..and TV stuff was everywhere, at reasonable prices)...I had bought a couple early RCA Neon's like that...and one or two with broken letters. I could get the signs neon tubes replaced/rebuild and re-filled, but I was told the new colors could not duplicate the old colors.

If you could find some new-old-stock coated tubes, and of course someone that would work with them, you'd be in the New-old-neon business
Audiokarma
Old 03-24-2011, 07:20 PM

UPDATE!

Another member contacted me, with details about someone he knows who does signs. After speaking with him, he says he can do them for $400! Would anyone be interested at the $400 price point? I know I'd be in!

This is the place that would do the work: http://www.neonman.com/

FYI, there's a sign on CL right now but that guy is asking about $600...
Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wish someone would make reasonably priced repros of the animated peacock and other color tv signs.

Personally I've always thought the neons were the least interesting because they are pretty plain looking,just letters and could be easily made.

Last edited by GeorgeJetson; 03-25-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJetson View Post
I wish someone would make reasonably priced repros of the animated peacock and other color tv signs.

Personally I've always thought the neons were the least interesting because they are pretty plain looking,just letters and could be easily made.
U don't like original neon signs? How very sad... and I thought u might be cool
Old 03-25-2011, 10:56 PM

Now now...
Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

It is in jest of coarse. Why respond like we are a couple of old women from The Real Housewives??
Audiokarma