Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 PM
15GP22 demo @ ETF 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman82 View Post
So earlier on they were using different basing if I understand this right, which would place my tube later on in the development timeline and peg tubes with different pin counts as earlier ones?
Something like that. I liken these exercises to riding an old mountain railroad for the first time: plenty of hidden curves ahead; somebody was there before us to build the thing, but it's all new now...

Pete
Old 06-21-2011, 07:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nick, The earlier tubes had a 14 pin stem and base. I would speculate that this was because they had a 14 pin stem and base in the inventory. Later on, it became obvious that additional electrical isolation was needed between the convergence pin at [edit] 7-9KV and the other pins, so a 20 pin stem and base were developed, allowing 3 blank pin locations on either side of the convergence electorde.

I just checked my Sparton metal bell CRT, and it is a 20 pin 6 bolt CRT just like yours, with a type number of C73547, just like yours. My bell rim number is D255, and I believe Pete said you rim number is D205 (?). This all seems to make sense. My Sparton set is a early 1953 NTSC set, as best I can tell.

Last edited by John Folsom; 06-22-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Update: took the tube out of the box, and it's definitely D225. Only 30 made between ours, if the assumtion of a production serial code is correct.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP4671.jpg (46.0 KB, 209 views)
Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, Nick. Well it is all very interesting.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Folsom View Post
Later on, it became obvious that additional electrical isolation was needed between the convergence pin at 3-4KV and the other pins, so a 20 pin stem and base were developed, allowing 3 blank pin locations on either side of the convergence electorde.
Makes perfect sense.

Hey, speaking of convergence...

This thing has a long string of megohm resistors coming off the HV rectifier, with the convergence pot right in the middle and more resistors after it. It looks electrically just like the way it was done on the CT-100, except by that time they actually had a 50meg resistor to use in the circuit. What do your proto sets have for convergence?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Your set doesn't appear to have a convergence transformer like the CT-100, so the question becomes how did they accomplish dynamic convergence, or maybe the question is "did they use dynamic convergence". I would be curious to know if there are other connections (capacitors to be specific) to the convergence grid of the CRT?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nick, Here is a photo of the bottom side of he CBS prototype. It appears to use large high-voltage resistors, but it has been many years since I was under the chassis, so the details are vague. I have never had the HV cage cover off the Sparton, but as it appears to be a close cousin to the production Sparton set shown in Sames, I expect it will also have 50 megohm (or similar) high voltage resistors. Both of these sets are, shall we say, more mature than your set. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RX89_BACK_BIG.jpg (146.8 KB, 126 views)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

If this prototype dates from 1950-51, how far along was it's development?

Has anyone identified whether this is a set still running on the dot sequential principle or whether the design had progressed to the constant luminance principle with interleaved chroma?

Is there any schematic information with this set? It would be very interesting to reverse engineer this set to find out what the design comprises of.

Note: seems I missed an earlier part of this thread. I see from Ed's post that progress had moved to CPA and possibly later to the early '53 NTSC development closer to the final standard.

It will be interesting to see what the reverse engineering reveals.

Last edited by Penthode; 06-21-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McVoy View Post
Your set doesn't appear to have a convergence transformer like the CT-100, so the question becomes how did they accomplish dynamic convergence, or maybe the question is "did they use dynamic convergence". I would be curious to know if there are other connections (capacitors to be specific) to the convergence grid of the CRT?

That's exactly what I'm wondering. The other end of the resistor string has a wire that goes under the chassis, with connections to many different parts. So perhaps it does have dynamic, but it's done in a different way?

Thanks for the picture, John. I can see the 50meg resistors on that set, so you're right- it is more 'advanced' than mine.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nick, Attached is a scan of the schematic from the June 1951 RCA symposium on tricolor picture tube development. While this features a RF HV supply and differs considerably from your sets configuration, it does show both vertical and horizontal dynamic convergence transformers. It would seem quite odd if your set did not incorporate some type of dynamic convergence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCA PROTO JUNE 1951.jpg (112.7 KB, 84 views)
Old 06-22-2011, 11:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nick, if you follow the wiper of the convergence pot, where does it go? This is where the convergence stuff would be.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McVoy View Post
Nick, if you follow the wiper of the convergence pot, where does it go? This is where the convergence stuff would be.
To the CRT, nowhere else.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think that means that the set has no dynamic convergence, which is strange. But a full schematic will tell for sure.
If you look at the schematic that John posted you'll see a 10kv capacitor from the convergence pot to the circuitry that provides the waveforms for convergence.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:35 PM

There is a doorknob cap mounted under the chassis, but I have no idea what it's connected to.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

For John's request and for comparison, my 6-bolt, 14 pin prototype tube is paper tagged;

Developmental type - C73293C
Serial - L3046R

Rim stamped - D229

And it has acquired a swooping crack right across the faceplate but not edge to edge. No idea how that happened. Have not looked at it in 5 years. Gotta be careful now.