Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice job on the cabinet. I have been a Novus #2 fan for ages.

Did the Glayzit improve the look after you used the Novus? I bought a jug of it a year or two ago, but then didn't use it after I read a negative comment somewhere.

Phil
Old 06-27-2009, 11:18 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Nice job on the cabinet. I have been a Novus #2 fan for ages.

Did the Glayzit improve the look after you used the Novus? I bought a jug of it a year or two ago, but then didn't use it after I read a negative comment somewhere.

Phil
Absolutely, I love the stuff. The Glayzit gave it an nice even shine and darkened it a shade. I know the last photo doesn't show much improvement, but that's just my camera's flash. It's darker in person.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:22 PM
RCA 741PCS

Recapping

I've decided to give re-stuffing the can electrolytics a try on this set using zenithfan1's technique.

I practiced on a few old caps and I think I've got the hang of it

There are 3 in total. Two mounted to the chassis and one clip on. Here's a shot of one just prior to removal. I made notes of the original position and which leads went where.

I've got a question for y'all. Should there be a metal plate or two around the RF amp? Seems that the side panel and possibly something on the underside is missing.

Maybe I'll just have to pull the chassis on my 20X12 to compare.

Last edited by bandersen; 07-01-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:53 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-SRT8 View Post
Depending on the Grill Cloth material, you might try Carpet Cleaning Solution, diluted.....
Details, details...

LJB
Interesting idea and I do have some on hand, but I don't have the nerve to try it. Perhaps after I do some tests on lesser projects.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:43 PM
RCA 741PCS

Knobs

I'm constantly amazed at what pops up on craigslist. Yesterday, I found a guy selling a little can full of Admiral knobs
They're the metal plated type, but I can use the outer ones for this set.

The seller says they're from radios, but I know I've seen the larger ones on blonde Admiral TVs.
Anyone know what the 3 little ones are from ?

I also dug up a center knob for Contrast, but it's a bit lighter than the others.
So close...

Audiokarma
Old 07-07-2009, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Looking good! Glad this one survived.

My repeated advice-I hope all here will take it. The exception would be a rather small portable: never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never,never, never, never, have a TV like this shipped to you, not even from across the street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't count the sets I have seen posted here and elsewhere that have been totally destroyed. Be patient my friends-they will eventually show up in your backyard, trust me!
I got a '66 Admiral Color from Doug in Chicago. Paid $400 (think I paid Doug about $175 for it) to have it trucked down by a moving company. Arrived a OK and I'm happy to have done it. But I agree with you nevertheless.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Actually, I think shipping my a moving company is pretty safe. The troubles all seem to be with putting a TV in a box and expecting it to arrive in one piece at the other end. I have shipped a few portables myself, as well as some picture tubes. Not everyone packs the same, though. It is very difficult to pack a heavy table model set well enough that it can survive a big fall. You end up with an enourmous box and all kinds of surcharges due to the size. I just get upset from seeing so many perfectly good TV sets destroyed due to bad packing, and I don't want to see it again!
Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Actually, I think shipping my a moving company is pretty safe. The troubles all seem to be with putting a TV in a box and expecting it to arrive in one piece at the other end. I have shipped a few portables myself, as well as some picture tubes. Not everyone packs the same, though. It is very difficult to pack a heavy table model set well enough that it can survive a big fall. You end up with an enourmous box and all kinds of surcharges due to the size. I just get upset from seeing so many perfectly good TV sets destroyed due to bad packing, and I don't want to see it again!
I've only had one set shipped by a moving company, but I was quite happy with them. Vintage Transport didn't box it, but they wrapped it in a quilt and secured it. They were quite careful as they unloaded the console.

When you put something in a box for UPS or FedEX they don't know how delicate it is.

John
Old 07-12-2009, 09:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have shipped TVs large and small with Craters & Freighters. They are expensive, but you can't beat a custom crate. Once they turn it over to a shipper, however, your crate could still be speared by a forklift or whatever.

If the TV is special or you're just plain cynical, you can either not buy it or move it yourself. I recently drove from CA to WA transporting a set that I wouldn't trust to anyone else.

Phil Nelson
Old 07-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I like....big sparks!!

That Admiral's gorgeous! Now I want one. uh-oh.
Audiokarma
Old 07-12-2009, 03:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
I have shipped TVs large and small with Craters & Freighters. They are expensive, but you can't beat a custom crate. Once they turn it over to a shipper, however, your crate could still be speared by a forklift or whatever.

If the TV is special or you're just plain cynical, you can either not buy it or move it yourself. I recently drove from CA to WA transporting a set that I wouldn't trust to anyone else.

Phil Nelson
That's what I liked about vintage transport. There was no turning it over to a shipper. No one else for them to point the finger at if something went wrong.

I'm cynical, but I gave up and had it shipped because of the weather, lack of available time, and the fact the a true accounting of costs would have made it more expensive to move myself. Still, because of my attachment to the set I was very tempted to do it myself.

John
Old 07-17-2009, 04:53 PM
RCA 741PCS

Bakelite redux

Well, after a couple weeks the Glayzit seems to have faded a bit. I wasn't able to get it as dark as I wanted anyhow. Especially when compared to it's big brother next to it.

So, back to R&D on bakelite restoration. I'd heard that wax, like Imperial Hand Glaze, can help. I don't have any of that on hand, but I do have Old English polish and Howard's Feed 'n Wax. I tried out the OE first. Looks fantastic, but like I expected, it just doesn't penetrate the bakelite. It smears and smudges if your touch it.

Next up, the Howard's. It doesn't have quite the shine as the OE, but it seems to adhere a lot better. Here's some photos. I guess time will tell. If the Howard's doesn't hold up, maybe I'll try the Imperial Glaze.

I've just waxed the right-side for a comparison:

I hope this doesn't fade!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Mark

Wow, that makes it really pretty, just like new. I hope it stays that way. I've had the shine fade on me too. bakelite can be tricky sometimes. I really hate it when one whole side of something bakelite is bleached out from the sun, you wax it and it looks good for a little while and then turns back to crap. Any tips on that problem other than painting it?
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 07-17-2009, 05:38 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenithfan1 View Post
Wow, that makes it really pretty, just like new. I hope it stays that way. I've had the shine fade on me too. bakelite can be tricky sometimes. I really hate it when one whole side of something bakelite is bleached out from the sun, you wax it and it looks good for a little while and then turns back to crap. Any tips on that problem other than painting it?
Leave the other side in the sun for a few decades to balance it out

Seriously though, earlier in this thread stain was suggested and I've heard shoe polish. Then, perhaps, a coat of clear lacquer.

Personally, I haven't tried any of that. I'd be more willing to try on a small radio, but I'm wary of screwing up this cabinet. Worst case scenario, It'll just be a little faded.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Mark

Yeah, even if it is a little faded, it's even and the knobs will cover the darker areas under them. It's a gorgeous looking set.
How did I know you were gonna tell me to leave the other side in the sun??
Ditto on the small radio, always test on an unimportant item. Learned that lesson the hard way long ago. I have a couple of crappy printed finish sets to experiment on as well because a printed finish is on several of my nice sets that need a touch up. I'll try the stain and shoe polish on an old radio from the garage and see what happens.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Audiokarma