Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Engineer View Post
I had already indicated here that I had contacted the seller. Attempting to do an end run around me is rather underhanded and is certainly unethical.

You are preaching to the choir, I've missed many sets in my own backyard by a matter of minutes. Be faster next time.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I disagree. That's like saying if I bid on a set on eBay, I call dibs and nobody else can bid. It's all about who wants it more.

At the moment, I have no sets of this kind, and I really want one. If I wanted it bad enough, I'd have driven to Philly to get it and offered the guy $100 more than you paid. But I don't, so you got it.

If it wasn't for this post, chances are you would have never known about it.
I thought, apparently mistakenly, that once someone here indicated that they were going after a particular set, it was a courtesy we all paid each other to not take it out from under them, and in the case of e-bay, to not drive the bid up on them. That is how it works in the circles I travel in. Since I am aware that all bets are off with the folks here, I will keep that in mind next time I see a set I want.

As far as me not knowing about it if it wasn't posted here:

I live in Philadelphia, check all of the usual places for sale ads, and have a few spots to look for stuff that I check in at that none of you know about. I do come up with some pretty fantastic stuff too, I just don't post it here. In fact, I don't post much here at all. So, please don't have such an inflated view of this site and delude yourself into believeing that I "wouldn't have known about it otherwise." How very smug of you.

To miniman82...

I couldn't have acted any faster. I had made contact with the seller, and was waiting for his first offer to either follow through our duck out. He ducked out. While I was waiting in line, someone tried to cut me out. I got the set anyhow. Fortunately, the seller has a higher ethical standard than many on this board.

Maybe this is why I mostly lurk around here.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:16 AM
console lover

We're mostly better off for it.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Engineer View Post
I thought, apparently mistakenly, that once someone here indicated that they were going after a particular set, it was a courtesy we all paid each other to not take it out from under them, and in the case of e-bay, to not drive the bid up on them. That is how it works in the circles I travel in. Since I am aware that all bets are off with the folks here, I will keep that in mind next time I see a set I want.

As far as me not knowing about it if it wasn't posted here:

I live in Philadelphia, check all of the usual places for sale ads, and have a few spots to look for stuff that I check in at that none of you know about. I do come up with some pretty fantastic stuff too, I just don't post it here. In fact, I don't post much here at all. So, please don't have such an inflated view of this site and delude yourself into believeing that I "wouldn't have known about it otherwise." How very smug of you.
I had assumed a simple redirection of the topic interjecting a little reality would suffice, thereby leading to some constructive thought, but I assumed incorrectly. Instead, I should have simply deleted your comment or edited your post, followed by a PM explaining that any bashing of any member isn't tolerated in public forum here. Mea culpa, I'm a bit rusty at moderating rude comments of one member versus another that are simply in bad taste. But I will not tolerate you disrespecting me personally, as I have not fired a shot at you.

Now, my point was simply that the internet is capitalism at its best, and worst. There's no official site policy on this. If one bids on a set that he likes, but another has been looking for that exact set for a long time and it appears, you can't expect the other person to gnash their teeth and not bid just to be a nice guy.