Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:31 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

15 & Ryan is not a place I would have expected to find that set. My neighborhood in the Shores.... perhaps.

You take that olds up to any cruise nights? Is it a tan color?

If you see this, you've spotted me:

Old 12-14-2006, 10:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, that was a great find! A bargain at ten times the price.

I like the CTC-5's. As for picture quality, they're quite watchable when working properly, but keep in mind that the 50's-era color CRTs have pretty low brightness compared with color CRTs starting in the mid-60's. [Poor brightness was one of many contributing reasons why color sets didn't sell very well back then.]

Also, since you're new, a few care-and-feeding tips might be handy once you've gotten it restored:

These sets have no built-in degaussing coil, so if you move/re-orient the TV, or you get any large magnets near it, you may need to demagnetize the CRT. (there have been various threads in the past on AK about how best to do this)

Due to their particular electronic design, the static convergence appears to "drift" pretty easily on these sets, so you'll probably want to at least learn how to reconverge the set yourself. Fortunately, all the convergence controls on a CTC-5 are accessible from the front of the set (after you remove the "pencil box" housing the secondary controls).

I'm sure there are some other "user" tips like this that would be helpful, but those are two that came to mind off the bat.

Have fun!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is a nice looking car for 30+ years old. Cars could be huge in the 1970s. Yours has a nice vinyl top, but I always hated them(rust/mold magnets) and avoided buying any car so equipped.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 PM
VK Member

Tv's to cars

Carmine I think I have seen your car. I go to Pampa's and Universal Mall during the summer. IT has a tan painted top. I used to have a Chevelle. But I have got into the mega huge late sixties early seventies land yachts.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Land Yachts
You can see my 72 Centurion up above, before that I had a 72 Impala. Sometimes I look around the internet reading car forums, but I have never found one that really suited me and my preferance for mostly stock big cars from the 50s - the 70s, so I just talk about cars when the subject comes up on here. It's rather odd, but it seems alot of us old tv guys like these kind of cars. That ctc-5 was a great find I've never come across anything here older than the ctc-15, here's a pic of my ctc-15 working.

Last edited by Adam; 09-13-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-15-2006, 03:04 AM
VK Member

Cars, TV, Radios

I know this is off topic now but I like the big old cars because they don't make them like that anymore. I was out in LA back in September and I love it when I go out there because you see cars like ours all over the place being used as daily drivers. The bummer thing here in Michigan is it cloudy 290 days out of year and it is either raining or snowing or both. They use salt on the roads and the big cars are getting harder to find in good shape. Mine is in the garage 9 months of the year. So your a big Buick guy, I am the Bigolds guy, Carmine is the Big Chrysler guy. Now we need to find out who the Big Ford guy is. As for collecting I am all over the place. I like old radios a lot and have a cool looking Grundig console tube radio that I have on everyday, I bought an old Recordio just because the cabnet is really nice. I have a couple of old Fisher Studio Standard recievers that are nice. I just get this stuff because now that everything is cheap China crap there will be nothing cool to look at or collect 20 years from now.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:56 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Bigolds:

Yours was the car I'm thinking of... Among a sea of Chevelles, Roadrunners, etc. at the local cruise nights, yours is one of the few I remember, or ever spent much time looking at. In fact, I've even pointed it out to my girlfriend... "If I ever went GM...."

In the interest of remaining semi-on-topic, I will mention that AK has a car forum now... probably a good thing since most of us like old cars too. If you check this link, you'll see a bunch more of the cars I've had to Pampa, Continental, etc. (those are cruise spots/nights for the rest of ya) If I see you at a cruise, we'll talk old tvs to make up for this, lol.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89144

The Newport pictured above actually is my winter-hooptie, through slush/snow and other forms of MI fun. It will be taking me to work in about another hour. (Can't sleep tonight, sinuses) Seeing as how I rescued it from demo-derby on eBay (for all of $1500) I figure whatever I do with it is better than that. However I am very good about keeping drain holes free, and spraying off salt when the weather is warm enough.

My vinyl top is a little shot up-close, but not because of rust issues... just age. I might re-do it this spring. If you keep the moldings free of decomposing sh*t from trees, they aren't so bad.

RE: Cheap China Crap... I think you're preaching to the choir on this site! Most of the time I either fix something old, find a version on eBay, or do without. I don't think I'm missing out on much just because I don't have a plasma.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:29 AM
AK Member

Another Olds 98 fan here --- I have a '73 98 Regency that my father bought new!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Someday, I'd LOVE to have a '76 Cutlass Supreme Brougham like the one I had back in the day...You almost NEVER see them cars anymore...Yeah, it's kinda funny how so many of us old roundie guys are attracted to the big Yank Tanks, too...
Old 12-15-2006, 10:40 AM
AK Member

Yep, I always went for the big, excessive American cars. My other project is a 68 Impala SS ragtop. When I was a kid my best friends mom had a black on black 76 Cutlass Supreme. Still remember that car well. True, you never see them anymore!!
Audiokarma
Old 12-15-2006, 12:28 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigolds98
Now we need to find out who the Big Ford guy is. I just get this stuff because now that everything is cheap China crap there will be nothing cool to look at or collect 20 years from now.
I guess I'm the big Ford guy. I drive a '99 Lincoln Town Car, before that, a '94 Mercury Grand Marquis. It's not vintage but I hope to keep it until it is. You are right about the old stuff, today's gear can't match the warm feeling I get from my 1937 Philco tombstone radio, 1974 Pioneer 626 receiver and PLA-45 turntable and hopefully my 1965 Zenith roundie (if and when I get it working).
Old 12-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, I guess I qualify as a vintage FoMoCo guy-a '69 Lincoln, a '67 Lincoln convertible sedan, & a '65 Lincoln limo.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Land Yachts
You can see my 72 Centurion up above, before that I had a 72 Impala. Sometimes I look around the internet reading car forums, but I have never found one that really suited me and my preferance for mostly stock big cars from the 50s - the 70s, so I just talk about cars when the subject comes up on here. It's rather odd, but it seems alot of us old tv guys like these kind of cars. That ctc-5 was a great find I've never come across anything here older than the ctc-15, here's a pic of my ctc-15 working.
As long as we're discussing cars, thought i'd drop in a photo of my Imperial. Hey Carmine, that's a very nice Newport you have there
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_68032.jpg (119.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-15-2006, 04:18 PM
VK Member

That Imperial is cool

I almost bought one of those a few years back. It had the most plush interior I ever seen. This summer I cam across a 72 Impala 2 door at a estate sale with 24,000 original mile on it. Unfortunately the old lady that owned it must of hit everything in her path. The car was brand new looking but had about a 1000 small dents in it. I also came across a 1981? Imerial Frank Sanatra edition With all the Frank tapes still in the car. My favorite big Ford is the 63 Lincoln Continental convertible. As for newer TV's and audio I like The sound and picture quality from both but why does everything have to be in cheap black plastic. I love how back then we built things to last and look good. Thats why I like all this old stuff. Why can't we do that today? I also was out today doing the estale sales I had no luck finding anymore CTC-5's. I think that was my one luck find this year. If I find that kind of stuff I will let you guys know.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:32 PM
VK Member

Hey COMPUCAT my friend has a 2001 Crown Vic and love the thing. It is a nice riding car. I too have a old Grundig Majestic console tube radio that I am listening to right now. My home stereo is a Fisher 634 and I play my records on a Pioneer PL-530. The funny thing is is sounds better than my newer Sherwood reciever.
Audiokarma