Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Nipper Rules

ctc-4 safety glass

Hi guys, I finally started working on the Seville 21, chassis is really clean, and seems to be in decent shape, just a quick question to anyone who may have done this before, I am really taking pains to be careful with this and am really handling it with kid gloves, does anybody have a tried and true method for getting the safety glass unstuck? thanks, Bruce.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7270411.jpg (148.3 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg P2030436.jpg (56.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg P7270412.jpg (148.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Nipper Rules

Id rather not have to take out the CRT if I can help it.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Bob Galanter

With the edge of the glass recessed in back of the wooden cabinet, you are going to have a hard time to get the glass to release from the old foam rubber gasget which is essentially gluing the glass to the plastic crt frame.

Most people use a heat gun to warm up the glass and the old rubber and then carefully pry the glass away. I don't like applying heat to glass. Uneven heating of glass causes it to be stressed and risks cracking the glass.

I prefer to remove the crt from the plastic frame and remove the plastic crt picture frame from the cabinet. Then I squirt a liberal dose of WD40 or mineral spirits onto the rubber and let the petroleum based solvent slowely soften the rubber to the point which I can remove the glass by inserting a utility knife blade between the glass and the rubber gasget.

Of course all of that is done with the crt removed and the plastic crt frame removed from the set.

I think you would be well advised to remove the crt and do like the rest of us do. In the long run you will save time and possibly prevent yourself from cracking the safety glass. If you try to remove the glass while the crt and frame are still in the set, you will have a much harder time of it.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 02-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Workin' Late Again

Haven't tried this, but a big suction cup with a gentle constant pull may break the seal. I'd try at the 4 corners first. I wouldn't try prying with anything hard between the glass and cabinet.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:42 AM
M is for Memory

With the TV chassis out it is quite quick and easy to remove the CRT on the CTC-4's...And that is almost certainly what you will have to do to get the safety glass off unless you want to risk cracking it with heat. That degraded rubber would make an awesome glue if it did not take a few decades to reach that state. I seriously doubt any amount of pushing/pulling/prying without heating the glue will get it loose. I did mine by removing the CRT, removing the mask, and then slicing the rubber with a pocket knife (I did not try to soften it with solvents prior to cutting). Once the glass is separated Goof Off will do a great job of dissolving the rubber off the glass, but I would use something gentler like rubbing alcohol (I forget what I actually used) to get it off the mask because strong solvents like Goof Off can mess up the paint on the mask.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 02-04-2014, 04:59 AM
Nipper Rules

I think you guys are probably right about removing the CRT, I don't want to do it half-assed, and mess it up, the 21AXP22 is alittle intimidating, don't want to jinx the thing by handling it like its a Faberge egg
Old 02-04-2014, 10:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

On my CT-100 (looks like similar type of mask and safety glass as your set) I found that with the mask out of the set on the bench, it actually took only a little heat (no where near glass cracking risk territory) to get things apart. I don't recall what I used to pry it apart, but prying with a putty knife would be safer than using a screwdriver blade to get things apart. Not much force needed. I got the black stuff off the mask by scraping with a razor blade, using paint thinner as a lubricant/solvent. Here you have to be careful not to damage any paint on the mask. Some of the other ideas noted above may be gentler on the mask than the razor blade method I used. Not sure if yours has any paint on the mask, however -- I don't really see anything like that in your picture. If it's just uncoated plastic, you simply have to be careful not to scratch it when removing the black stuff.

I don't think you'll break the safety glass, but if that were to happen, safety glass is readily available at most glass shops. It is used for shower doors and the like. On my RCA 621TS, the safety glass was broken (happened in an earthquake with a prior owner) and I was easily able to get replacement safety glass at a glass shop. Safety glass is a laminate of two sheets of glass with a layer of plastic in between that holds the broken pieces together if it cracks.

Last edited by Tom Albrecht; 02-04-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hopefully you follow the well documented procedure for removing the CRT.
Cabinet face down, having a padded surface preset to place the CRT on when removed ect. The 21AXp22 has that metal flange that provides a good place to grip the tube when lifting out of the cabinet. Also marking the position of neck components before removing them. Perhaps taking photos of all the components and mounting hardware prior to removing the tube. Be sure to double check that all electrical connections are disconnected before removing chassis & CRT. And, of course, eyewear protection and perhaps gloves.
SAMS has the basic instructions, usually on the last page.

Take your time,
-Steve D.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

just be aware of the fact that the glass neck parts are bonded to the crt bell and would be subject to a lot of stress if force was applied to the neck, You want to make sure you only grab the CRT by the metal bell, hands off the neck.

I do not know how strong that glass/metal bond is, but its a much smaller diameter where it attaches so all the force from the neck is going to a smaller bond area.

that being said it was not a big deal on my CTC-5 to remove the CRT (a 21AXP22). Just take pics, note how he anode lead is attached and routed, and how the rubber seals are attached.

Be careful not to overtighten anything when putting back together, you do not want to crack the plastic bell covering.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Nipper Rules

Smile safety glass

Thanks for the input guys. I thought I would be real careful and try to apply alittle heat first, I did it evenly around the edges and with a small hook tool, worked my way around the edges and it pretty much peeled right off, the real miracle here is that I had a blow dryer in the house, going to be 50 next month and my need for one is long past...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2040436.jpg (87.7 KB, 50 views)
Audiokarma
Old 02-04-2014, 04:21 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

You almost have to grab it by the neck to get it up and out of the mask, and that tube is so light I doubt the bond would fracture. I'm not saying it's OK to handle the tube this way, but what I am saying is if it does let go it was weak to start off with.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Nipper Rules

Thanks Nick, I got it off.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

looking good
Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Nipper Rules

Been having some fun with this today, we have been hit with continuing crappy weather, so I dedicated some time to this, took the glass out for some cleaning and cleaned the inside of the bezel, that stuff really turns to some solid goop, but I got it all out and re-installed the glass. It looks like this might turn out nice once its finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2050436.jpg (55.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg P2050437.jpg (43.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-05-2014, 05:57 PM
60s Throwback

Looking good, Bruce.
Audiokarma