Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Theory

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Angry Is there anybody on the planet that actually LIKES Charter communications???

Apparently, they weren't making enough money, so they kill analog broadcast just to make you rent one their stupid boxes. Which, based on what I've heard, are quite expensive to rent. UNBELIEVABLE! I have never seen such greed!

Last edited by TUD1; 08-07-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Chuck Farter Communications.. The Audio cuts out ALL THE TIME on the HD channels, you call customer service, 1st off, its an Indian from Delhi, Bangalore, or SOME 3rd world shytehole... He CAN'T understand my thick Hillbilly accent, & I really can't understand HIM too well. Either. Then, he starts babbling that I don't have their Phone Service, would I like to sign up ? Chuck U, Farley, your goddang Internet & Cable go south ALL THE TIME, you tell me WHY I'd wanna give you Arsewholes any MORE money ? And be subjected to loss of phone service every 3rd blue moon, as well ?!? Grrrrrrrrrr....
Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 PM
TheUniversalDave1

LOL@Chuck Farter. I'm gonna start saying that.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Don't blame Charter. It was the FCCs Viewability Rule that said they didn't have to carry analog any longer, so why should they?

Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Apparently, they weren't making enough money, so they kill analog broadcast just to make you rent one their stupid boxes. Which, based on what I've heard, are quite expensive to rent. UNBELIEVABLE! I have never seen such greed!
I may be reading this wrong, but the boxes appear to be free or quite reasonable depending on the number of sets that you desire to hook up;
http://www.stltoday.com/business/loc...f780e3748.html

jr
Audiokarma
Old 08-10-2014, 05:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm actually surprised analog cable stayed around as long as it did for you guys. The only analog cable system here (Optusvision) shut down long before over the air analog. Their competitor (Foxtel) was digital from the start, though the exact system (and boxes) have changed a couple of times over the years.

Plugging a TV straight into the cable was never a thing here - at least not for most people. I had Optusvision on and off for a few years as adding and later removing TV from your package was a way to extend your contract and grandfather you into the "good" internet package that was withdrawn. Without the box all you'd get was a couple of random channels that were in the clear that week/day/hour, a couple of channels that showed test patterns and in the later days an "Unauthorised receiver" message.

Towards the end of the service they were using very frequent channel map updates and bad map updates in an effort to take out modified boxes, but by this point it was futile. Anyone running such a box had resorted to a default all channels map and disabled updates coming over the cable.

I had Foxtel up until recently - their box fees make yours sound reasonable. One box included with the package regardless of tier. At the time I disconnected extra SD boxes were $20 a month with an extra fee for HD on top of that.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:34 PM
M is for Memory

TWC analog cable is still alive and well here...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

... And Chortle, do you absolutely HAVE to run a block of YOUR ads EVERY SINGLE TIME the show breaks for commercials ?!? And its the SAME smarmy metrosexual dude, or the bimbette in the dopey blue dress... ARRRRRRGH ! As bad, if not WORSE than that OTHER insufferable Harpy, Flo... And the "Too School for Cool" electronic piano music.... Grrrrrrr...
Old 08-10-2014, 08:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

You've been very lucky.

Analog cable has been gone from my area for at least five years now.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, the company that sold them these boxes likely likes them...
Old 08-11-2014, 05:53 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

I miss C-band....

SR
Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Chuck Farter's done it again. The wireless Internet won't work. My iPhone said something to the effect of "the server is not responding." I'm using 3G to post this message. I have yet to read a positive review if them.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:48 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yep, here in Bugtussle, the Internoot was out from about 4.30 ystrday afternoon til sometime earlier this morning. At least the cable TV stayed up.. And while I don't normally advocate violence against children, I would SERIOUSLY love to pour hot tar all over that revolting little girl from "Andover Junior High"... The 1st 750 K times I saw that ad, it was cute, but after that, it got to be a bit dreadful..
Old 08-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Sandy G,

We don't call them Chortle Communications for nothing. It is bad when I am near Charter's headend and 4 tech visits to the radio station in Sweetwater gets no connectivity. And our farmhouse neighbor is Comcast's last subscriber on nearby Philadelphia's headend and has no issues. I see Comcast truck out, he is working on the neighborhood. I ask him if we can get Comcast, he says yes and "When I finish with this last little issue, I'll see if I can wire you". He does, all works great and 99% uptime. And superb service. And we're the last Philadelphia subscriber on the headend.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think most cable companies are corrupt.Nobody likes them but still feed them loot because of the OTA DTV switchover.

We lost analog cable in Dec 2012 here.
Audiokarma