Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2003, 07:19 PM
Administrator

"Hand Carved TV Set"

Um, using power tools maybe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3638
Old 06-27-2003, 01:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hand carved tv set

......What can I say, but, Junk . Pure JUNK!!!$60.00-- HA. That is a set, the kind of which I see often in trash, and that is where it belongs.It is way too new to be collectible, and too old to be sold for an "everyday use tv". Not to mention, those late 70's/early 80's quasars did not have a very good crt, or chassis. I would have no problem in personally putting that set, or one like it, in a garbage truck, and pulling the compaction lever, and laughing.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:57 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Gents- Hand carved, my arse !! Yeah, if you took yr pocketknife & whittled on the #@*^ thing....Honestly, what some people believe..... Be fun to stack about 25 of these things up, set 'em on fire & then run an old Cadillac thru 'em...No wait, that's already been done...Maybe set up a trebouche & see how far you could sling 'em...-Sandy G.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:12 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Andy- Yeah I remember that ! And remember that evil grin the guy had on his face when they did it ?!? That was a GREAT show-naturally since I loved it, they took it off. Figures. BTW, it was the Ant Farm that set up a bunch of old TVs & ran a '59 Caddy thru 'em-back in '76, I think. They were trying to make "A Statement" about American consumerism in the Bicentennial year, or some nonsense, but back then I just thought tearing up a bunch of old junky TVs & a big old white-trash Caddy was cool. Looked like lotsa fun !! Now, that Cad's worth megabux, & we'd probably cry if we knew what some of those TVs were...-Sandy G.
Audiokarma
Old 06-27-2003, 05:21 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I don't know about the smashed TVs, but the Ant Farm did bury about 9-10 old caddies face down, at 45 degree angles, in some farmer's field.

As a gen-x'er, I always thought this "hippie statement" stuff was so much hipocritical crapola. After all, how can you complain about consumerism when your whole generation was forced to have long hair, do drugs, and buy gawd-awful "Beatle" albums by their peer groups? Instead of keeping up with the Joneses, you're just keeping up with the unwashed, unemployed kids of the Joneses!

Now these same people won't live in a house w/less than 2500 sq. ft. located 20 miles out of the "horrible" city and they all pretend they're so brilliant because they bought a Mercedes, rather than a "white-trash" Cadillac. (As someone who test-drives cars for a living, modern Mercedes are so much overrated crap.)

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant.

In fairness, I will admit driving a friend's Ford Ranger as fast as it would go though an ugly modern console set. It WAS a blast, but I would hardly call it a political statement!

Last edited by Carmine; 06-27-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Fredro

Junk?

Like George Carlin once said - "Did you ever notice that your crap is stuff and everyone else's stuff is crap?"

LOL - Fredro