Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

1990's was the decade when TV started to go into the toilet .Infomercials and reality show started to pop up on the dial and cable channels.New networks took over the indie TV stations which ruin the indie stations.

Also the decade that commercial radio went to the skids with the corporate buyouts of multiple radio stations like Pacman. CC now Iheart and a very few others will be the only survivors.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:08 PM
I love old stuff

In Romania the radio and tv station went down after 2000. Well, the tv programs wheren't very good in the '90's, but it wasn't so much crap on the tv and that was good. I sometimes call the news Depresii (Depresions)... Mă uit la depresii = I'm watching depersions.
And radio stations are jukeboxes. I want real talking, not reading from a prompter or piece of paper... Oh, and the music. Stations that are broadcasting old music usually have a limited playlist, and the ones that are brodacsting new "music". Oh, the '90's Euro-Dance (singers/band like Whigfield, Masterboy, Mr. President, Sqeezer, ICE M.C., La Bouche, Culture Beat, Captian Hollywood Project etc) sometimes had a nice line in music or lyrics that talked about love and peace; in the '000's there was still some good music line, but nowdays that is gone. I can't understand what people like at that music that even dosen't have a good line.
Rap isn't always crap. That are some good tunes. But todays rap it's really crap. Old school is good. Well, "Rapper's delight" haves idiot lyrics, but at least you can dance on that tune...

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 11-29-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:47 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Rap isn't always crap. That are some good tunes. But todays rap it's really crap. Old school is good. Well, "Rapper's delight" haves idiot lyrics, but at least you can dance on that tune...
That's fo' shizzle. Weird Al's "White and Nerdy" for example is dope dawg. Even Chamillionaire gave Al props for the parody.

I'm a whiz at Minesweeper I can play for days
My fingers movin' so fast I'll set the place ablaze

I'm nerdy in the extremie, whiter than sour creamie
I was in the A/V club, the glee club and even the chess team

I'll ace any trivia question you bring on
I'm fluent in Javascript as well as Klingon

I do vector calculus just for fun
Ain't got a gat but I got a soldering gun

I'm a champion at D&D
MC Escher is my favorite emcee
Keep your 40 I'll have an Earl Grey tea

The only question I ever thought was hard was "Do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?"

I wanna bowl with the gangstas.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

American broadcast television is a cesspool. The only good TV programs are on the specialty cable or broadcast subchannels. The inventor of electronic TV, Philo Farnsworth, banned TV from his house. Maybe, some day, things will improve but profanity, indoctrination and propaganda turn me off. BCB (AM) is my media of choice. The networks can't screw it up! They think it's irrelevant.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:04 AM
I love old stuff

In Romania one of the national state owned networks is Radio România Actualităţi (R.R.A.) = Radio Romania News. In the past it was considered and oldish radio and a station that makes propaganda for whoever is ruling Romania... but nowdays is more intresting than a lot of commercial staions.
Tv: crimes (all kind), mondenity (the stars have theyr right to privte life and I do not want no 2 dollar stars), "reality shows", distorsed news or news that alterate the mind of people (how cool it's a crappy thing).

I must remind about trains. Back in the days (18+ years ago) the trains where crowded because there where less automobiles. But if you where lucky and the train wasn't very crowded, you could get a seat into a compartment... yes, in Romania long distance higher rank trains (lower rank trains only sometimes) had comportamented cars... I mean normal passanger cars, not sleepers. You could stay on your seat, get on corridor (and ) and that was nice... you wheren't forced to seat down (there where some long distance slow trains with uncompertmented cars...). Some trains had dining or bar cars (it's intresting that night trains didn't had).
But after around 2000 desater camed. They had the ideea of introducing uncompertmented * cars (bouvagoane = oxcars) for long time riding trains and that's very unconfortable. Dining cars are almost gone - why to pay prices as high as at a restaurant you can buy cheaper from the train station, bar cars gone... oh, and the interior haves a bad look. And the seats are usually very uncofortable.
Old cars (except for the ones made in Romania after 197x) are very goold looking if well maintained.
Man, they've put some 1992-1994 made cars that where used for Rapid (1st rank fast train) and InterCity trains on slow trains and a lot of them are in bad shape... those cars where really cool.
Oh, and at cars with air condition you usally can't open the window... just 4 windows can be open at an uncompertemented car and they can be barely low down... if you got a square key to unlock them. So no freash mountain air. Some cars do allow you to low down the window.
I want a nice train with well mainted 1964-1994 made cars.
You can get a glimpse of the past if you ride some old sleepers ... they bought from (West) Germany some 1966-1973 made sleeping cars and they do look wow!

* there are semicompartmented cars too. 3 compartments on each end, open space in the middle of the car. You can open the window.

Last edited by Telecolor 3007; 12-01-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-30-2016, 09:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Fascinating .......... Same complaints from Romania as the USA !
BTW Capt Kirk is the ONLY real captain.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 11-30-2016, 01:28 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Fascinating .......... Same complaints from Romania as the USA !
BTW Capt Kirk is the ONLY real captain.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Can't argue with that. Al may have trouble deciding, but with me it's no contest. Kirk is badass.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

On the TV side. Thanks to the 1990's and 2000s for the sloppy fast quick shaky camera angles and editing which started on the Discovery channel and others alike.It makes you dizzy.I just change the channel .
Old 12-01-2016, 12:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

And people wonder, here, why Americans prefer driving to riding trains. In the thirties and forties trains were the way to travel in style. Trains couldn't or wouldn't compete nowadays. Most major train terminals are now museums, apartments or TV studios. Even with federal government subsidies, passenger trains and buses suck in this country. A "clown car" has more comfort!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:37 PM
I love old stuff

On a Romanian forum I've opened a subjtect about transportation in U.S.A. There was some explination given there.
In U.S.A. there are some routes with better services... but in densly populated areas.
Oh... I do like old famous U.S. train. They where a dream. Seen a lot about them on youtube. Never had a chance to see one for real, because the only forgein country that I ever went to was Bulgaria. Oh, U.S.A. had one of the most beautiful trains in the world. After W.W. 2 and up to the kitchy modernity the ones that had beautiful trains where... the Germans and the Eastern-Europeans (except U.S.S.R.). Man, those Romanian passangers cars manufactured between 1964-1969 under French and West-German licence where very good looking - see here around 3:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0-mf0ZDnzM&t=894s (the read seats are from a 1st calss compartment, the ones from later scenes, with fake lather are from a 2nd class). Never ride one with that looking... after overhaull, the interior becamed ugly.
The train haves all kind of pre-war and post-war cars. The dining car can be Romanian, Hungarian or East-German made.
Audiokarma
Old 12-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_volt View Post
These days everything seems to be disposable. Back when I was growing up, appliances and electronics were actually designed to be serviced and repaired. Cars were a lot simpler and cheaper, too, when adjusted for inflation. Auto manufacturers are loading so many electronic goodies into even base model cars that people are taking out 8-9 year car loans. I think the average price for a new car these days is in the $33K to 35K range.
I know. It is like Mom said before she passed away, "they put in too muvh Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers stuff in cars today." I think it was Subaru ran a campaign in 2011 that featured a 2002/04 era Kia Optima or Hyundai Sonata in basic form and called it the "2011 Mediocrity." Basically, it was to show how much stuff you can get in new cars as opposed to older ones. Myself, I'd love to buy a basic car like the "Mediocrity." Heck, I drive one, a 2004 Hyundai Sonata. I only really need an automatic transmission, AM/FM radio and A/C at minimum. I can take cruise control and power windows but I can do without of need be.

The only thing I admire about the cars from Communist countries (I'd like Telecolor 3007 to weigh if if he wants to) is the simplicity in cars (although I do agree for us, maybe TOO simple) but for the most part they were so basic, they were made to get you where you are going and seems easy to repair. I had a coworker from Poland who has an uncle who bought his first and only car in 1964 and still drives it, easy to fix for him, the only thing he misses from the Communist days were the cars.

I think almost all carmakers seem to miss is there is a class of people out there that are of limited means and there is a need to have basic type cars cars to cater to that. I remember in the 1970's, you still had basic Chevys and Fords for that market, it is more limited now.

I really don't nee Bluetooth this and that and so on, let there be some basic cars too.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
I disagree alittle on that up to 1988 when the rap crap started to move onto the mainstream charts.1980' s was the last good decade of all around music.
Rock was ruined with grunge crap music in the 1990's while traditional country started to turn to rock music which now sucks.
Well, we are all of different ages and likes so "your mileage may vary." Still, my assessment is the same as yours, being an "80's kid" who turned 50 this year.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
On the TV side. Thanks to the 1990's and 2000s for the sloppy fast quick shaky camera angles and editing which started on the Discovery channel and others alike.It makes you dizzy.I just change the channel .
I remember Mom complained about the jerky camera shots all the time an how it made her sick, "Speed 2" as so bad at that, she could not watch it.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
Well, we are all of different ages and likes so "your mileage may vary." Still, my assessment is the same as yours, being an "80's kid" who turned 50 this year.
Yea .I'm a few years older .I do remember it happens with all generations .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereMan 1966 View Post
I remember Mom complained about the jerky camera shots all the time an how it made her sick, "Speed 2" as so bad at that, she could not watch it.
My dad said the same that he can not stand the camera shakiness on shows plus Discovery channels quick edits .What drive me nuts now is these speeded up Youtube videos when they squeeze the whole or segment piece of video into the users Youtube video running time limit.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:27 PM
I love old stuff

About Eastern-Europeanen automobiles: yes, most of them where very simple, but well-built. Well, at least up to the '80's. In the '80's some of them lost qualty. Especially Romanian ones. Early "Dacia" 1310 (1310 was a little bit improved version of 1300, which was a licesend "Renault" 12), but after around 1982-1983 the qualty becamed awful. "ARO" (ARO = Automobilul Românesc = Romanian Automobile) made intresting all terain vehicles... but the qualty was bad/awfoul, so it didn't conquered forgein markets; if the qualty would have had been acceptable, maybe the fate of the company might have been a better one.
Before "ARO" was "I.M.S." (Întreprinderea Metalurgică Sadu/Sadu Metalurgicall Entrerprise (Factory) ). Same factory, better built vehicles (but the suspensions...). "IMS" M461 is a nice vehicle.
Audiokarma