Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
The new carbon bulbs have a similar color temperature to that Shelby bulb. They're brighter though, if only because the filament in a new bulb hasn't been undergoing evaporation for 100+ years. They're also made in modern standard wattages (25, 40, 60, 75, 100, etc); not the oddball 30 watt rating of the Shelby bulb.
No radio noise whatsoever; a filament type bulb, be it halogen, or a standard incandescent with either a carbon or tungsten filament, shouldn't be putting out any RF...
I have a mazda tungsten filament lamp and it does indeed put out RF noise on my TV set, but only when near it and aligned vertically. If it's mounted horizontally the noise goes away.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
I've never heard of a carbon type bulb putting out RFI, but your carbon resistor analogy does make sense. I'll have to be on the lookout with my carbon filament repro bulbs. Lately I've taken to testing new bulbs in a lamp near my Trans-Oceanic and running through the bands looking for any blatant RFI. You'd be amazed at the number of CFLs and LED bulbs from "reputable" companies (Phillips, GE, etc) that fail this test spectacularly...

With regard to EMI from LED & CFL bulbs, they also can interfere with garage door opener remotes when installed in an opener. I replaced my GDO last year, and the manual specifically mentions this fact, and recommends incandescent bulbs for that reason.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
With regard to EMI from LED & CFL bulbs, they also can interfere with garage door opener remotes when installed in an opener. I replaced my GDO last year, and the manual specifically mentions this fact, and recommends incandescent bulbs for that reason.
I found the same thing when I put my GE LED Brightstiks in my garage door opener. As long as the lights were on, the wireless remotes wouldn't work even at close range. I put two of the spiral CFLs back in there and all was normal again.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Those Chinese can really think of some dandy names,"Banggood".
What do you expect ? We had a customer named Mr. Dong !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 12-17-2016, 09:51 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

I guess I lucked out on LEDs. I put two 75W equiv LED lamps in my Chamberlain Lift Master garage door opener over a year ago. They work perfectly. Light up the garage like daylight. Zero de-sensing of the remote receiver, full range. What DID mess it up was the power supply capacitor in the opener. The cap failed open, and it had no range at all even standing under it. 470/16 as I recall.

The 5000K color matches the 5000k fluorescents I have in the ceiling which is nice too.

Here is the LED lamp I used, X2. Proven to work in a garage door opener for over a year now. Unfortunately looks like they are NLA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garage-leds.jpg (36.9 KB, 10 views)
Audiokarma