Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Born in the wrong decade

dmm

My radio shack bench style Digital multimeter is screwed up. Even with the test leads removed and new batteries as soon as I turn it on and push the button for ohms it reads 34. on continuity it starts buzzing immediately. Try voltage and it reads 67dc and ac I dont remember....

Any way to fix it?
It looks like it has computer chips in it so I am thinking its dead...
with the leads and actual voltage or resistors it does the same thing.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

For anywhere from two to ten bucks you can buy a very useful DMM from Harbor Freight.

Almost all the hand held digital meters I've seen are pretty much unrepairable. They don't even yield parts for the junkbox, except maybe a fuse and of course the test leads.

I own about six of the Harbor jobs, as well as a Fluke and a Tektronix. The Harbor ones are great because they are so cheap you don't care if one blows up. I only had one fail though, after a number of years. They are accurate and have some useful ranges. Not much good for low voltage AC though.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Born in the wrong decade

Ok, I was trying to keep mine if possible because it was my Dad's and that's pretty much the only thing I own that was his........

Last edited by radio nut; 11-19-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added
Old 11-21-2012, 04:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

You would likely have to find a schematic to have a chance at fixing it. maybe you can find the exact same DMM on ebay.....
Old 11-21-2012, 06:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio nut View Post
My radio shack bench style Digital multimeter is screwed up. Even with the test leads removed and new batteries as soon as I turn it on and push the button for ohms it reads 34. on continuity it starts buzzing immediately. Try voltage and it reads 67dc and ac I dont remember....

Any way to fix it?
It looks like it has computer chips in it so I am thinking its dead...
with the leads and actual voltage or resistors it does the same thing.
The problem must be related to the last time it was used. Was it overvoltaged or was it spiked?
Look near where the input jacks are and see if there is a burned resistor or a damaged MOV type component.
Audiokarma
Old 11-23-2012, 06:23 AM
Born in the wrong decade

Well its been acting "funny" for a while. Sometimes if I took the batteries out and put new in it would work for the rest of the day.,...the next time I used it though it would be screwed up again.
I can't really point to one event.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Have you opened it up? Maybe something spilled in it that could be cleaned out. Or maybe the contacts in the function switch are gunked up. They really don't make these things to be fixed. Perhaps like John said, get a like unit on Ebay then transplant the PC board into your Dads' meter; at least that way it is still partly the one he had