Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Restoration begins on Ed Reitan's CTC-7

For those interested, you can follow the restoration at this link. We expect it will take several months. Link:https://visions4netjournal.com/2017/...tv-page-three/

Old 06-16-2017, 08:50 AM
BigDavesTV

Such a beauty, I'll be watching it's progress, looking forward to someday seeing that great RCA Color!
Old 06-16-2017, 10:39 AM
M is for Memory

That should be an interesting read. I've always wondered what the control system is like on a Worthington.

The commercial for the Worthington is on youtube. You should play it on yours once the resto is done as a demonstration video....It would be fitting and cool.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-16-2017, 12:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks BigDavesTV.

Electronic M: I saw that video and yes it would be cool. We plan to play Ed Reitan's restored "An Evening With Fred Astaire" on this set as a tribute and do a video about him.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Congratulations to this outstanding set!

I know the YouTube Advertising video for a long time and was curious if one of these sets survived. It's great to see this set in good hands to be restored

Josef
Audiokarma
Old 06-21-2017, 02:16 PM
Resident Lunatic

I'm sorry to hear about the wrong CRT in the set. The 7s and early 9s came with the 21CYP22. The late 9s and all of the 10s came with the 21CYP22A. The "A" version has a strange looking red phosphor.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Josef: Nice to here from our friends in Austria. Thank you.

benman94: I'm okay with it. The tube tests good.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Interesting observation about the red phosphor difference between the 21CYP22, and the "A" version of the same CRT. I have an blond Anderson CTC-7B with a very poorly rebuilt (by RCA) "A" tube. The red phosphors tend to look rather dull, and lean toward orange, but not as bad as the 23EGP22 junk from Motorola . The green is amazingly bright, and football games look pretty good. The blue appears normal, whatever that is for this particular tube. It's loaded with dead phosphor dots, and doesn't focus well.
I am reminded of discussions about the differences among the 21AXP22, and 21AXP22A about the difference in screen phosphors. Of course we know why the tube was re-designed for HV flash protection, but the phosphor composition of the screens also were changed, IMO. Great thread ! So happy that the set is in good hands!
Old 06-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Mark

The A version also doesn't need the edge purity magnets. Mine are all turned to the defeated position. My 21CYP22A's were rebuilt nicely or are new tubes altogether.
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26

Last edited by zenithfan1; 06-22-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:28 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

FWIW I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever between the A and non-A 21AXP22 phosphors, it's just that the earliest versions had a greenish hue to them like the 15GP22 had. The rest of them have that paper white look, and I can't tell the difference with my calibrated eye.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:35 AM
Resident Lunatic

I've done tests with a colorimeter on the following tubes:
  • 15GP22
  • 21AXP22 (green screen)
  • 21AXP22A (paper white screen)
  • 21CYP22 (grey-blue screen)
  • 21CYP22A (grey-blue screen)
  • and finally an early 21FBP22 (puke green screen)

The blue shifts slightly toward violet and away from a more cyan color over the years, the red also shifts toward orange, but the greatest shift is in the green. The P1 "Kelly greens" are gone by the time you get to the 21AXP22A; the green phosphor is already substantially more yellow, and the trend gets worse with time.

The persistence of the phosphors seemed to vary somewhat as well, with some tubes, like the 21CYP22A having a bit more lag (something I've noticed, and apparently Pete Deksnis has as well according to his website).

The strange red phosphor I'm referring to in the 21CYP22A blows out to orange with high beam current more readily than the non-A version, at least in my experience. But, the 21CYP22A is much, much brighter than the non-A version. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I'm unusually picky about how my color sets are set up however; I always drag out a colorimeter to set the white point, check grey-scale tracking, and I ONLY watch my sets in a blackened room. If you're eyeballing the grey-scale and watching in a room with any light, you more than likely will never notice the smaller differences between the CRTs, only the larger ones (say the difference between a 15G and a 21FB).
Old 06-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
  • 15GP22
  • 21AXP22 (green screen)

The blue shifts slightly toward violet and away from a more cyan color over the years, the red also shifts toward orange, but the greatest shift is in the green. The P1 "Kelly greens" are gone by the time you get to the 21AXP22A; the green phosphor is already substantially more yellow, and the trend gets worse with time.

The persistence of the phosphors seemed to vary somewhat as well, with some tubes, like the 21CYP22A having a bit more lag (something I've noticed, and apparently Pete Deksnis has as well according to his website).

The strange red phosphor I'm referring to in the 21CYP22A blows out to orange with high beam current more readily than the non-A version, at least in my experience. But, the 21CYP22A is much, much brighter than the non-A version. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I'm unusually picky about how my color sets are set up however; I always drag out a colorimeter to set the white point, check grey-scale tracking, and I ONLY watch my sets in a blackened room. If you're eyeballing the grey-scale and watching in a room with any light, you more than likely will never notice the smaller differences between the CRTs, only the larger ones (say the difference between a 15G and a 21FB).
Just curious, but were any of the CRTs prefixed with RE? There was a time in the TV repair world where "RE" tubes were shunned out of ignorance, with technicians believing the tubes to be "rebuilt" tubes vice those with the newer/replaced Rare Earths, with increased brightness and deeper reds. They made the scene i the 1960s, with RCA and Sylvania touting the improve characteristics of the tubes.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...-Page-0026.pdf

The funniest part is that rare earths were already in use, it's just the shift to different rare earths (and marketing) that brought about the prefix.

Sylvania advertised the tubes and mentioned the prefix, but still many techs stuck to the ignorant idea that they were rebuilds. Somewhere there is a Jack Darr or Art Margolis article about the fallacy/idiocy...

When I started back in the 1970s, all I ever saw was rebuilt tubes from Channel Master and Empire Video, so the tube labels with any identifying info were long gone..
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:45 PM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Just curious, but were any of the CRTs prefixed with RE? There was a time in the TV repair world where "RE" tubes were shunned out of ignorance, with technicians believing the tubes to be "rebuilt" tubes vice those with the newer/replaced Rare Earths, with increased brightness and deeper reds. They made the scene i the 1960s, with RCA and Sylvania touting the improve characteristics of the tubes.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...-Page-0026.pdf

The funniest part is that rare earths were already in use, it's just the shift to different rare earths (and marketing) that brought about the prefix.

Sylvania advertised the tubes and mentioned the prefix, but still many techs stuck to the ignorant idea that they were rebuilds. Somewhere there is a Jack Darr or Art Margolis article about the fallacy/idiocy...

When I started back in the 1970s, all I ever saw was rebuilt tubes from Channel Master and Empire Video, so the tube labels with any identifying info were long gone..
No. The 15G through 21CYP22A were never manufactured in a later rare-earth type. The 21FBP22 was interchangeable with all of the later 21 inch tubes, so it was possible to stick a rare earth tube in a CTC-11, but I purposely tracked down the oldest FB I could find thus ensuring it could only be a sulfide tube.

The rare earth tubes did bring the red nearly back to '53 red, but the obssesion with deeper reds seems unwarranted to me. The major shift was in the green, and that was never reversed or corrected. Orange, yellow, skin tones, etc all depend on both red and green phosphors lighting up. A yellowish green phophor can make for a nasty orange or yellow even with a good "deep" red phosphor.

All of these shifts and butchering of NTSC's gorgeous color gamut all in the search for slightly brighter pictures. For shame...
Old 07-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94 View Post
  • 15GP22
  • 21AXP22 (green screen)

Keep in mind these sets were never designed to run at high brightness. All the older crt's before rare earth would lose red upon extreme brightness. Also crt's during that period were all part of the development process and in my mind they all culminated with the CTC 16. After that point you move into the 25apx22 and others and then came all the I don't care sets.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:24 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtvman View Post
all culminated with the CTC 16. After that point you move into the 25apx22 and others and then came all the I don't care sets.
Your forgetting the CTC-20 roundy....That was the last RCA roundy.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma