Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Bob Galanter

Unfortunately one of my big short commings is that I usually neglect to take some before photos. The only one I have is of little use showing it's condition beecause it was taken after the set was dismantled and is of the rear of the set and dosent show anything of it's actual condition.

I guess I get carried away with enthusiasum to get into the actual restoration. I am going to have to do a better job of doing before photos in the future.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Bob Galanter

Interesting 21AXP22 tidbit

As most of you probably know I am working with John Folsom on the 15GP22 rebuild project.

We are currently attempting to resolve an issue with cracking 20 pin glass stems used to mount the gun.

In our efforts to determine what the problem is, with respect to our stems cracking, I decided to send a stem remnant that was removed from a dud color crt, to our stem manufacturer for him to examine and see if he could find a way to redesign the 20 wire stem we are having trouble with.

OK so I decided to send our stem maker the glass stem remenant from the
21axp22 gun that was removed, prior to rebuilding the crt for the 21CT55. Upon removing the gun and the base socket, I discovered a very odd thing. The stem used to mount the gun was not a 14 wire stem as one would expect, but rather a 20 wire stem. It is the exact same type 20 wire stem used on all the 15GP22 crt's.

I would assume that RCA probably produced a surplus quantity of 20 wire stems, that were left over at the end of the 15GP22 production run, and so at the beginning of the production run for the 21AXP22's, RCA decided to use up the surplus 20 wire stems that were made for the 15GP22 crt's.

The 21axp22 in this 21ct55 set, had a date code of 52 week of 1954, so it was indeed an early production original 21AXP22.

Just a little bit of additional curious information on the early color crt's

Bob

Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Bob,
About the 21AXP22 and 15GP22, did either you or John happen to win this auction? http://cgi.ebay.com/1953-RCA-Prototy...mZ230334848402

I had pointed it out to John in a PM but didn't hear back. I was reluctant to bid on it in case either of you were bidding. I'm amazed at what it went for. I wouldn't have even come close had I bid on it.

I'm hoping one of you won it or at least know the person who did. The description sounds like it might be helpful to your project.

John
Old 04-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Bob Galanter

As it turns out John Folsom already had a copy of that book, and thanks to John making me a copy, I have the information now too.

It really dosen't tell much about the developement of the 15G, but rather has a lot about the other components that were developed especially for the 15G. Stuff like the flyback, vert outpput trans, purity coil, field equalization coil, and specially designed tubes, such as the voltage regulator and other tubes.

Bob

Old 04-12-2009, 04:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

John, I did not see your PM, sorry. Email is always better, more direct. But thanks for the heads-up. Harrry's paper items have been going for some serious money, eh? Fortunately, I already had a photocopy of that 15G info.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I feel better now. Thanks.

I had forgotten that I have your email address.

Yeah, Harry must be doing well.

John