Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:20 AM
wrongsideofthetracks

My first post in a TV forum

Hi gang,
I am not out to make money here, just figured since all i would do is scrap the unit for tubes, i would post here first.

I have a Zenith 25" color console, Space command remote and "Zoom" button on it.

I had it up and running back about 5 years ago and let it sit, sound was fuzzy(suspect power supply caps) and I listen to audio mainly even though I have cable, Just watch the news and such.

Anyways, I figure it should be donated to whoever can travel and pick it up(and help me get it out of my basement).

I would hate for this to be one of those "you threw it out without checking?????),

So bottom line, Free for the taking........ I know there is at least one TV fan in Columbus, but it must go, not a great unit, but could be tweaked and recapped and make a nice unit!!!!!!

If my post is out of line, moderator please take whatever steps to remove or move.

Thanks, ron
Old 01-06-2004, 02:30 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

Quote:
since all i would do is scrap the unit for tubes,
Well that would be a hell of a trick, 'cause any set with the "zoom" feature would be solid-state, from around '76-'81.

But, that doesn't mean nobody wants it! I might even want it, since you're close enough to Detroit. Can you describe the cabinet, or better post a picture? Thanks for offering it here instead of the curb.

If it's one of those "avanti" sets, I call dibs!!

Old 01-06-2004, 02:40 PM
wrongsideofthetracks

I need to look tonight

But I can get the major info if time permits. maybe a picture if I can load the software and learn to post pic.

But I will get the chassis info for starters. As far as solid state,,,,,,,,it might be, but I doubt it, I thought I remembered tube glow from the back cover. In the old days, I used to fix the old B & W sets for spending money, nobody in my neighborhood had color TV's back then(poor folks).

I will see what I can find out tonight.

Regards, Ron
Old 01-06-2004, 02:49 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

The tube glow might have come from the only tube still found in even new Tvs, the CRT. I guess plasma and LCD sets are the only true solid-state sets.

I'm pretty sure that the zoom function had somthing to do with the HV tripler, a solid state component. I also think the zoom feature didn't arrive until '76, by which time all Zenith sets were solid state, especially a premium 25" color set with remote.

If you've got a tube set with zoom, I call dibs again!
Old 01-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Banned

Carmine,

I might remind you that all those Zenith Porthole sets from the 40's had electronic zoom, on the vertical only though. Great for before and after on weightwatchers commercials!

Speakerman57,

Thanx for dropping by, and for the kind offer of donation to our group!
Audiokarma
Old 01-06-2004, 08:39 PM
wrongsideofthetracks

just a quick note here

Looked at front(a few adult beverages here) Zenith Chroma color II(yes, it says solid state)(egg on face here), remote says Zenith "Space Command", but anyways, offer still open. Just want to make someone happy.
Ron
Old 01-10-2004, 01:34 PM
wrongsideofthetracks

I need some time for pics and stuff

Spent the weekend shoveling (Muskingum) river sludge from under GF's weekend house, so priorites are being handled 1st. I hope next week some time to get back to this Zenith info.
Sorry for the delay.
Ron
Old 01-10-2004, 01:44 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

That's ok it's waited 25 years, what are a few more days?