Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-01-2004, 09:41 PM
<--1956 300B

Magnavox troubles/help needed

Working on my 1964 Magnavox color TV, model number C430100. (sams 708-2) The trouble I am having is that the fine tuning gears are stripped. I do not have the number of the tuner to do a search. Anybody? Does anybody have a spare set of fine tuning gears for my set? It would be greatly appreciated. This would aid myself in getting the set working again. Any spare tuning strips out there? On the edge of having the set working. having trouble with getting color to burst on the screen. Have a trouble tube socket on one of the color amp tubes. I ran out of time and am going to take care of that tomorrow. Set has come a long way from being dead. Would love to have it working again.

polaraman
Old 01-01-2004, 10:44 PM
Dead from the neck up

Gears from an RCA tuner might work. I think the Magnavox color sets from that time were still RCA clones. Can someone confirm this?
Old 01-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Louis Stangle

I've mentioned this guy before, he did the tuner in my Curtis Mathes and my 62 Zenith portable, both had stripped gears, (turned to dust more like it)

Don't know for sure if he is still in business. but he's still listed on the Web:
http://qualitytuner.hypermart.net/stangle.htm

"Louis Stangle is the owner of Quality Tuner Repair Service in Longview, Texas.You can reach Louis TOLL FREE at: 1-877-753-3204
Local at: (903)753-3204 Fax: (903)753-5658"
Old 01-02-2004, 06:30 PM
<--1956 300B

Got the set working today. Had to tune in a station with a small screw driver. Talked to the man at the tuner place and am going to send it to him. This set will be the bomb when I am able to fine tune it properly. Am so happy to have it working. Got it at an estate sale 2 years ago. Did not work at all. Very nice to see it playing.

polaraman
Old 01-02-2004, 06:32 PM
<--1956 300B

Another picture. I actually wanted it working yesterday to watch the Rose Bowl parade. My way of celebrating the 50th year of color TV. Had to settle for my tube color Penncrest portable.

polaraman

Last edited by polaraman; 01-02-2004 at 07:03 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-22-2004, 06:49 PM
<--1956 300B

Last week I sent my tuner to Quality Tuner Service. Today the rebuilt tuner was dropped off at my door. I am pleased to announce that Quality was able to repair my tuner. Problems amounted to stripped fine tuning gears and over 1/2 of the channel fine tuner pins broken off. Cost of this repair was $17.95 minus the $5.00 coupon. . You can print a copy of the coupon off the web page. $12.95 total plus shipping and $2.00 handling charge. I am very happy with the service they provided. I am off to install it in my set!!!

polaraman
Old 01-22-2004, 09:00 PM
On Land

Wow... 13 dollars to fix the tuner! That's a bargain! Especially considering that's the heart of the set. If your tuner isn't right, nothing is right!

My CTC9 tuner might have to pay this guy a visit. It has a couple of oscillator slugs missing.

Glad to hear of someone that does this for a good price!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.