Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-07-2018, 12:57 PM
returning hobbyist

Greetings from Minnesota

I've been an AK member for a couple of years along with several other forums, ARF and Vintage HiFi. Much more of a reader, but occasionally I am able to help. Used to repair radios-stereos-tvs in the 70's and 80's, then had a change of employment. Retired in late 2015 and came back to the "repair" business as a hobby. I like this hobby as it really does get you thinking, and I find it relaxing to take your time and work through the problems of working on both tube and solid state equipment. I wouldn't consider myself a "pro", but haven't found a set I haven't been able to fix. My worst repair was a friend that bought an old Philco frankenradio, a model 90 cabinet with a 71 chassis. When he purchased it, he didn't look in the back - it had no tubes!
Old 06-07-2018, 02:50 PM
M is for Memory

Welcome to VK!

I have all four of the Zeniths in your avatar. Any chance you could post pictures of the inner balance knob on the volume/balance combo knob of the stereophonic FM model? Mine has the wrong inner knob and I only noticed after spending a LOT on it.

That stereo FM Zenith is a fun set. I have mine connected to an RCA RP-190 45 rpm accessory changer that I converted to a stereo cartridge. Once I get the 45RPM adapter for my Glasser Steers GS77 changer I may hook that up to it to use with it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-07-2018, 02:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

I collect vintage "hollow state" radios. Perhaps I should attempt to work on simpler radios first. I have a Zenith 7S363, 11S474 and K731 and Philco (rare!) 37-665B and 116-122 chassis that is being redone. The 116-122 will go into a custom case ala frankenradio. In the basement is a Zenith 8S154 chassis that requires rebuilding and new tubes. One day I might get out the soldering iron and start replacing caps.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:59 PM
returning hobbyist

Hello Electronic M! I have a picture of the front, but I was trying to capture the dial more than the other knobs. It does include the volume/balance knob, hope this is what you are looking for. Picked it up for $50, but it had some issues, no fm mpx along with weak FM reception, and the radio/phono was an add on instead of built in. I don't like having external components on hot chassis, so I just removed the input jack and switch. I'd rather have it "stock". I did recap it and replace the rectifier.

Picked up a Royal 2000 this summer at "Radio Daze", the Northland Antique Radio Club event. I didn't realize what a performer it was, especially being that it was made in 1961 or thereabouts. It was dead, but easy to repair.

It's funny, I seem to be drawn to the Zenith brand. I also have a MM2670 console (1964) that will blow your socks off with it's sound. The germanium transistors for the driver and outputs were good, but I changed them over to silicon so I don't have to worry later on. Had to change the bias on those circuits. It's got a healthy 25+ watts per channel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zenith MJ1035 dial (600 x 338).jpg (74.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-08-2018, 07:44 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Welcome to VK!

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Audiokarma
Old 06-08-2018, 08:38 AM
returning hobbyist

Hello Titan1, thanks for the welcome. I have a small house and am not trying to "collect" radios, but it seems I am doing exactly that. Having 3 console stereos, about 10 table radios and some solid state hifi equipment, I'm overflowing. Mainly I just enjoy working on the stuff, it's therapeutic.

ElectronJohn, thanks for the welcome. You were one of the members that welcomed me over at AK when I joined there a couple of years ago.

Thanks everyone,
Steve
Old 06-08-2018, 08:02 PM
The Resident Brony

Welcome!
Old 06-28-2018, 06:14 PM
returning hobbyist

Where are my manners? I missed seeing your reply MadMan, but want to say "Thanks" for the welcome, even though it's rather late. Sorry about that.

Steve
Old 07-06-2018, 11:10 AM
Motorola Minion

Welcome Steve, Videokarma is the lounge for the TV counterparts to Vintage HiFi and a lot more radio stuff too.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Welcome
Audiokarma
Old 07-07-2018, 05:34 PM
returning hobbyist

Thanks for the welcome DavGoodlin and Dude111. I've been a member on a couple of other forums, but don't post much. Same handle "SeniorSteve". I know enough about TV's to be dangerous now, as I used to repair them in the 70's but changed jobs and got out of the business. I'm much more familiar with HiFi equipment as it's more of what I'm interested. I still like to read many of the posts on here as it does jog my memory from when I did tv servicing. Brings back lots of times when working on a "dog" of a set.