Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Tim (kamakiri) very nicely offered me the opportunity to buy the RCA amplifier from this console. I accepted, I have always liked RCA commercial sound equipment and this amplifier is right up my alley. The noise problem turned out to be a noisy plate load resistor on the first 6N7, and also a noisy 6N7. I didn't have a spare 6N7 but did have a 6A6 (same tube with pre-octal base). I took the base off a rusted through 6SK7 and rigged up the 6A6 to work as per photo... And work it does, the amplifier sounds great and I have been enjoying using it every day. It's not "hi fi", but it sure makes music. See attached image with the ridiculous (and temporary) adapted 6a6.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Administrator

And you know what happened yesterday? Someone gave me one free Bozak B-300 Provincial speaker! Too bad the shipping would kill ya, or I'd give it to you

Swapped out the 5881's I see.... . Glad you got it going!
Old 06-05-2014, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
And you know what happened yesterday? Someone gave me one free Bozak B-300 Provincial speaker! Too bad the shipping would kill ya, or I'd give it to you

Swapped out the 5881's I see.... . Glad you got it going!
Those 5881s need a home in a 50s Williamson amplifier... they're way too nice for this RCA... they will go beside the Mullard EL34s in my too nice to use tube stash those old Canadian Marconi 6L6G's are from a hamfest and are well used... plus they really look the part. It's a bit odd how one is slightly larger than the other, but whatever, I think I paid $3 each or something back in the early 90s.

I ordered 5 NOS 6N7's from Russia on eBay... cost $15 shipped. I have had pretty good luck with old Soviet tubes, I am sure these will be no exception.

I would LOVE the Bozak, but you are right, shipping would be completely insane. How about posting a picture?

Last edited by maxhifi; 06-05-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Administrator

You know, I think I actually have another pair of those 5881s. I *think*.....

This is the Bozak. Friend of mine texted me, and he said it was sitting outside, and he had to leave out of town. With a chance of rain in the forecast, I hustled over and grabbed it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4152.jpg (103.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-05-2014, 12:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
You know, I think I actually have another pair of those 5881s. I *think*.....

This is the Bozak. Friend of mine texted me, and he said it was sitting outside, and he had to leave out of town. With a chance of rain in the forecast, I hustled over and grabbed it
That speaker would look fantastic in the same room as a French provincial RCA CTC-17.

I have the drivers from a pair of Permoflux Diminuette speakers from the early 50s, and a Radio Electronics article with plans for cabinets. I plan to build one of them, and use it with the RCA amplifier. Right now it's hooked up to my testing speaker ( an old minimus 7)

Hold on to those 5881s... tubes like that will NEVER be made again.
Audiokarma